Promotion or FA Cup?

Carl Sagan

Which would you rather win?  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Deary me ... 

I hope the armchair is comfortable.

'Forget it lads. The title is worthless ... yeah, your six months of sacrifice and hard graft? Pointless. I wouldn't bother.

Lets just sit and watch Sky Sports News and read the OPTA Index for a bit.'

I don't really follow this bizarre logic you're trying to present that wanting to win a cup would somehow make me an armchair fan who is obsessed with stats.

Is it a desperate attempt to muddy the waters as there is no valid counter argument to my previous point?

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Deary me ... 

I hope the armchair is comfortable.

'Forget it lads. The title is worthless ... yeah, your six months of sacrifice and hard graft? Pointless. I wouldn't bother.

Lets just sit and watch Sky Sports News and read the OPTA Index for a bit.'

Did anyone say that? I don't doubt for one second that winning a title is harder. And no one said they didn't care about the league, or promotion. And of course you can easily fluke a cup win. But I don't care. History remembers Cup wins, not promotions. How many times did we get promoted up from the 2nd division to the top tier between 1888 and 1969? You probably can't tell me a thing about any of that. But you'd be able to tell me about our '46 Cup win, and we'd be talking about previous cup wins if we'd taken a chance in our previous 3 attempts. 

You always start your post with something dismissive like "deary me" or "ridiculous" as if anyone with the opposing opinion is exasperating you and that they must have no clue if they didn't play the game, and by extension they must be armchair fans who love watching Sky. That's one thing if we're talking about "what's a greater achievement for this team?" or "which would the players prefer?" but we're not asking that. The thread is about what we, the fans, would prefer to win.

If someone says they'd prefer to win the FA Cup, they'd prefer to win the FA Cup. If people say they'd prefer promotion, they'd prefer promotion. It's about personal opinion, and you can't tell someone there's is wrong.

I'm desperate to agree with you. An actual trophy!!! A place in history!! The idea of Valencia at the iPro!!!

But I don't want to lose this manager and some of the players. I don't want this to be the chance that passed us. So I have to say promotion

But I'm disgusted with myself. I'd rather play Sunderland and Palace than win the FA Cup. That's tragic for football.

But we'll get both so it doesn't matter

I'm sure every other decade, if not every decade, in our 131 year history we've been in similar positions. But no one on here knows anything about it, because in the long run, silverware is all you remember. How many times have we finished in the top 5 of the top flight in our history? Absolutely no clue. How many cup wins do we have? How many cup finals have we been in? I can certainly tell you that.

FA cup for me.

Was lucky to be in the Wigan end when they pulled off that magical win vs Man City a few years back and the atmosphere and emotion was fantastic.

They might get relegated this year but nobody can take that cup triumph away from them and everyone will talk about that victory for decades to come.

Did anyone say that? I don't doubt for one second that winning a title is harder. And of course you can easily fluke a cup win. 

As I say ... if you feel that winning seven games in a row is a greater achievement 'for this team' than finishing off better than all 24 competitive opponents after a six month long season, and proving that you are the very best ... then good luck to you.

Now who's not reading what the other poster is saying?!

What do you think the town of Wigan will be talking about in 10 years' time? The Cup win, or winning the Championship under Paul Jewell?

I know winning the league is a greater achievement in all sorts of ways. The only way a Cup win would be better in footballing terms is if you beat Premier League opposition in every game up to and including the final. But the fact is the rest of the country, and history books - whether you like it or not - remember Cup wins above second division titles. And for that reason, that is why I personally would prefer to win the FA Cup.

Did I not say, that it would be a magnificent experience as a fan to win a cup?

However, in terms of the greater context of this club as it stands ... which, i think the question related to ... which would we rather?

Winning the league this season is far, far, far more important.

Anyone who argues otherwise is blowing romanticised smoke up their arse.

As I say ... if you feel that winning seven games in a row is a greater achievement 'for this team' than finishing off better than all 24 competitive opponents after a six month long season, and proving that you are the very best ... then good luck to you.

I don't understand why you are so cross about the whole thing.

Did I not say, that it would be a magnificent experience as a fan to win a cup?

However, in terms of the greater context of this club as it stands ... which, i think the question related to ... which would we rather?

Winning the league this season is far, far, far more important.

Anyone who argues otherwise is blowing romanticised smoke up their arse.

And so rude

As I say ... if you feel that winning seven games in a row is a greater achievement 'for this team' than finishing off better than all 24 competitive opponents after a six month long season, and proving that you are the very best(outside the top 20) ... then good luck to you.

There is a valid argument to saying it's harder to win a championship title. Obviously you have to show more consistency, but you're not playing against the best teams.

You claim anyone can win the FA Cup. That's true, that's part of it's allure, but the fact is that normally a side amongst the nation's elite wins it. In the last 20 years Wigan, Pompey and Everton are the only teams outside of that established elite (Man United, Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Arsenal) to have put their names on the FA Cup. Now make a list of the division 2 champions over the same period and see how they measure up.

I'm sure every other decade, if not every decade, in our 131 year history we've been in similar positions. But no one on here knows anything about it, because in the long run, silverware is all you remember. How many times have we finished in the top 5 of the top flight in our history? Absolutely no clue. How many cup wins do we have? How many cup finals have we been in? I can certainly tell you that.

You're right!

100% right!!

And I still want promotion more. I can't argue with you though. It's the FA Cup!! Europe!

But I want to play Sunderland!!

Archived