Promotion or FA Cup?

Carl Sagan

Which would you rather win?  

241 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

What about Southampton? They have a decent shot at getting top 4, and qualifying for Champions League. Worst case scenario then is they get into Europa which is very much a possibility for them. Who is to say we cant do a similar thing? Newcastle where in the championship a few seasons ago, finished 5th the other season and then they got into the Europa League. I know they have fallen off a bit over past year or so, but with our board, stability is something we can almost guarantee.

Who is to say we cant do a Southampton, or a (better) Newcastle?

Unless Southampton reach the Champions League, Southampton's current team will be forgotten in 10 years' time outside Southampton. Look how quickly Charlton have become just another Championship also-ran. Last decade, they were in a similar position to Southampton and already no one thinks of that.

At least Portsmouth had a cup win to show for the era which nearly killed the club.

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

FA Cup

We've been promoted to the top flight three times in my time of following the Rams. We've never won the Cup in all that time.

How could anyone turn down winning something that we've only ever won once before in our 125+ year existence?!

FA Cup

.....and promotion next year.

agree with the above two posts. How often do you get a chance at an FA Cup, we have never been near a semifinal in my memory. I'd take it all day long, as long as I could get a ticket that is... bearing in mind that whilst we get 33k tickets for the play-off or whatever the number was, that get's drastically cut to about 25k to allow for club wembley members and sponsors.

As a club it has to be promotion.

Good players will come to a PL side, not a side who won the FA Cup in the previous year. We'd most likely lose McClaren and possibly some key players. Failing to go up and just winning an FA Cup would almost certainly see him poached, and it would be a good way for him to leave too.

Although an FA Cup win would be fantastic I'm looking at the hypothetical question in a way that benefits us as a club long term instead of me personally at a single moment.

Look at Stoke, promotion then FA Cup final. Okay they lost it but as a club they're in a stable position and them reaching another cup final wouldn't be a massive shock.

We are already attracting players that the bottom sides in the Prem cannot attract. I think we'd do the same for next year's promotion push.

I have not voted or looked, but if anyone has ticked FA Cup they are taking the pi ss :-)

Why? Explain to me where the glory is in being a premiership also-ran. Your mind has been poisoned against logic by Sky and their endless "The Premiership is the number one competition in world football!" hyperbolic sausage.

Why? Explain to me where the glory is in being a premiership also-ran. Your mind has been poisoned against logic by Sky and their endless "The Premiership is the number one competition in world football!" hyperbolic sausage.

The game has changed.

Ask any Wigan fan right now where they'd rather be.As glorious a story as it was for them and Dave Whelan's leg to win the cup...essentially, in the broad scheme of the modern game - it means little beyond that particular season.

You realise every premiership club gets that money right? There's no guarantee that cash would elevate us above the West Bromwich Albions and Aston Villas of this world.

So you are suggesting that to finish top of our division, after a long and gruelling season, and to win one of the game's famous old trophies as a result, is not an achievement worth remembering?

I'll take success in the league any day of the week. It says more about a club's integrity than winning a few one off ties.

The game has changed.

Ask any Wigan fan right now where they'd rather be.As glorious a story as it was for them and Dave Whelan's leg to win the cup...essentially, in the broad scheme of the modern game - it means little beyond that particular season.

The same goes for finishing 13th in the Premiership. It means nothing the season after and you don't get a trophy. You give Wigan as an example, but there are loads of examples of former premiership sides who failed to win anything and still got relegated. The reality of the premiership is that no one outside the top 6 or 7 teams is truly established and other than being bankrolled by a gulf state no one will ever break into that group.

If people don't us want to be a premiership also-ran why the f**k are we getting excited about the rest of the season???  If we don't want to achieve promotion lets just jack it in and slide back down to midtable like we were when Nige was here.  FFS

I for one think there's a lot of things wrong with the Premisrship but I'd rather be in it than not.  We have a chance of emulating Southampton and making a real go at it once we're established, then we can turn our attention to domestic trophies.

Besides do you really think the likes of Schteve, yound Will Hughes, Martin, Russell, Hendrick & Thorne will stick around if we don't go up???  Dream on...

I love the FA cup and still believe in the romance of it all but some of it has been slightly diluted by the FA turning the semi finals into a cash cow to clear debt by having them played at Wembley

I chose the FA Cup.

I'm not going to enjoy the Premiership when we get there. It's going to be a sharp contrast form the lovely stuff we play now. I love being towards the top of the table rather than scrapping at the bottom. At least with the FA Cup we get an immense bout of glory and can enjoy it for a year.

The same goes for finishing 13th in the Premiership. It means nothing the season after and you don't get a trophy. You give Wigan as an example, but there are loads of examples of former premiership sides who failed to win anything and still got relegated. The reality of the premiership is that no one outside the top 6 or 7 teams is truly established and other than being bankrolled by a gulf state no one will ever break into that group.

You are missing my point.

The question was about which of the two we would prefer to achieve as an accolade.

Many on here are stating they would prefer the FA Cup because it would be brilliant to get the famous old silverware, and a day out. Agreed ... it would be memorable ... but essentially, a sideshow of history.

It is all academic anyway because it simply will not happen.

Believe me, sitting on top of the league after a 42 game season, and getting some famous old silverware as part of the process, is a far greater achievement after the decade of sheer trough we have experienced.

That proves to everyone that you are a top quality side. The very best that season. The table cannot lie.

Promotion allday long.

Ask Portsmouth or Wigan fans what theyd rather have at this very mintue

This isn't a sound argument. You people act like staying in the premiership is assured if you don't waste time on the cups.

Coventry, Bradford, Blackpool, Charlton, Forest, Leeds, Fulham, Bolton, Cardiff, Reading, Sheffield United all won **** all and still sunk without a trace.

This isn't a sound argument. You people act like staying in the premiership is assured if you don't waste time on the cups.

Coventry, Bradford, Blackpool, Charlton, Forest, Leeds, Fulham, Bolton, Cardiff, Reading, Sheffield United all won **** all and still sunk without a trace.

I'm glad you trust out board and management team so much...

You are missing my point.

The question was about which of the two we would prefer to achieve as an accolade.

Many on here are stating they would prefer the FA Cup because it would be brilliant to get the famous old silverware, and a day out. Agreed ... it would be memorable ... but essentially, a sideshow of history.

It is all academic anyway because it simply will not happen.

Believe me, sitting on top of the league after a 42 game season, and getting some famous old silverware as part of the process, is a far greater achievement after the decade of sheer trough we have experienced.

That proves to everyone that you are a top quality side. The very best that season. The table cannot lie.

You genuinely believe that finishing top of the table in the second tier is a greater achievement that winning the nations premier cup competition that all teams compete for?

When Wigan fans sit back and reminisce about better times do you really think they treasure the promotion campaign under Paul Jewell more than the FA Cup under Martinez?

Yeah but the vast majority of those are little clubs , we need to get back into the supreme league where we belong

I'm glad you trust out board and management team so much...

It isn't a matter of trust. It's a matter of looking at the facts and not being completely delusional. One glance at the history of the premiership will show you that unless you are one of the elite teams in the country you will most likely only be able to survive at premiership level for a few years at a time. Of the current 20 premier league teams only 8 of them have been there for more than 7 seasons.

Archived