Too Defensive?

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It doesn't. Because I'm pleased. As is the OP judging from all his other posts on all the other threads. He just made an observation.

We have changed/evolved slightly from last season. Last season was full of threads about our dodgy defence and soft goals. But it was probably just as strong defence as now if not stronger. As a team though we were more reckless. More aggressive. More open.

Discussing the who, what and why is hardly moaning.

Except the title is not 'change of emphasis' or somesuch. It's 'Too Defensive?' Which sounds like a moan.

Except the title is not 'change of emphasis' or somesuch. It's 'Too Defensive?' Which sounds like a moan.

Fair enough.

But he's not one of those moaning posters that we get that have the "I want" attitude and expect to win the league undefeated. He's a good chap is Mr Pimpernel

I thank you Alpha......... Now Mr AndyinLiverpool.... What's the matter with you? Why not read the original post and make a constructive response? I am a bit of a perfectionist I supose but never, or very rarely negative. We have improved our defence but imo lost a bit of our attacking flair. To pull away from the pack I think we need to remain as we are at the back but recapture our attacking flair. The question, and it was a question, is can we do it? What do you think?

I too have wondered whether we'd sacrificed something in attack in the pursuit of clean sheets, and posted along these lines in the Mac to Newcastle thread, albeit tongue in cheek.

Silly me, should have listened to the Mac when he said at the start of the season the important thing was staying in touch till 10 games to go, then pushing on to secure promotion.

The way we played today makes me think the foots to the floor from now until the end of the season, we ARE going up!

4 today and still not even two per game.

With the team we have, I'd say we definitely could have much, much more.

No reason to back off, first time we score more than two this year. I'm expecting this to get better now, tho. I rate Ince way more than Ibe and of course having Bent in doesn't harm either.

Although I think the term 'too defensive' is a bit over the top, I fully understand where the OP is coming from.

We never seem too concerned with putting teams to the sword, but as long as we are winning matches it is 'mission achieved' I suppose.

The thing that I have noticed is when Mac first came in we always had 2 players up on the halfway line for opposition corners but now that is only 1.

Maybe the pressure is on Mac to achieve promotion this season?

I'll probably be different to 90% of posters in the fact that I am not really fussed about being in the Premier League. I would much rather watch us in this division tearing teams apart than fighting for a 17th place finish!

I honestly think that Birmingham away last year had a huge impact on us. We were 3-1 up and so comfortable, but in going for more goals we conceded 2 in injury time. Since then we've been less gung ho. As a resuly we're second and only behind (narrowly) on goal difference, when last year we finished third. Yes, I'd like us to win by six or seven, but not at the expense of not winning the following game.

It's something a fair few of us clearly seem to ponder, but I think the balance is pretty good.

So much sniping on this forum now. Getting stupid.

If you wish to criticise your fellow members, I suggest that you make a contribution to Daveo's retirement fund.

I am not so sure it is that we have become more defensive but that we don't move the ball out of defense as quickly as we should.

I suppose that might be a contradiction in terms. We aren't being more defensive but the defence is being more cautious .. Dang it I know this isn't making sense ....but I Know what I mean !

Mac preaches basics. Think it was very much a case of stripping it down to build it back up. Get the defence as good as it can be, the rest comes from there. Seems to be going alright so far. See if that comes to fruition tomorrow.

McClaren has brought in a lot of players so that he can have various starting formations but also to change tack dying a match. If I know McClaren he will be doing training sessions where one side starts on the defensive but then he brings on other players and expects them to switch modes at the drop of a hat. The world's top managers do this all the time, either to make sure that they get a draw or to protect a lead against a dominant opposing team  Flexibility of formation with an excellent defence is Karanka's strategy at Boro and he learnt that from his old boss Mourinho.

This is an interesting thread that needs some more thought

Derby County 29   15 7 7 57 40   last seasons stats 2013-14 

Derby county   29    17 6  6 56 26    this seasons stats

As you can see we have scored 1 goal less and conceded 14 less our current GD is +30 at the end of last season our GD was 32.

I don't think we have been too defensive But I feel that we have not been as fluid as last season which could be factors such as

1 Teams close us down more and quicker

2 Players not quite at the form of last season

3 We had 5 years of mediocre performances previously and then we were super spoiled last season and thought that we would have won the league already this season.

we look in a very strong position and I am convinced that we will score more this season than last and will finish the this season with a GD of around +45. 

Last season games 30 to 36 we sored 3 goals in 7.

My conclusion is that we are a better side who are more accomplished at either end.

Oh and 1 More word... PROMOTION

trawling the stats shows that a win tomorrow will make it 4 on the bounce in the Championship, which we have not achieved yet this season. So there is something to aim for.

1-0 would be just fine - as it was there last season.

Personally I don't see why we should be afraid of Bournemouth. Their goals seem to be coming mainly from an ex Cardiff has-been, a winger with bizarre hair and a young lad from Coventry playing out of his skin.

Archived