Too Defensive?

McClaren has brought in a lot of players so that he can have various starting formations but also to change tack dying a match. If I know McClaren he will be doing training sessions where one side starts on the defensive but then he brings on other players and expects them to switch modes at the drop of a hat. The world's top managers do this all the time, either to make sure that they get a draw or to protect a lead against a dominant opposing team  Flexibility of formation with an excellent defence is Karanka's strategy at Boro and he learnt that from his old boss Mourinho.

One group goes with Simmo, one group goes with Mac, they introduce a coaching point for both groups based on an earlier meeting, then they teach it, then they combine the groups, attack versus defence and then to large sided game. What changes are the makeup of the 2 groups depending on the desired objective. Easy really  ;).

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is an interesting thread that needs some more thought

Derby County 29 15 7 7 57 40 last seasons stats 2013-14

Derby county 29 17 6 6 56 26 this seasons stats

As you can see we have scored 1 goal less and conceded 14 less our current GD is +30 at the end of last season our GD was 32.

I don't think we have been too defensive But I feel that we have not been as fluid as last season which could be factors such as

1 Teams close us down more and quicker

2 Players not quite at the form of last season

3 We had 5 years of mediocre performances previously and then we were super spoiled last season and thought that we would have won the league already this season.

we look in a very strong position and I am convinced that we will score more this season than last and will finish the this season with a GD of around +45.

Last season games 30 to 36 we sored 3 goals in 7.

My conclusion is that we are a better side who are more accomplished at either end.

Oh and 1 More word... PROMOTION

Good stats. Out of interest, what happened in game 37?

Archived