GSE in!

Day

Certainly changed everyone's perceptions of them.

They either didn't trust Clough with the money, or he didn't spend it.

The Sammon signing probably did for Clough.

Up until then his husbandry of GSE's finances was pretty much exemplary. The players he brought to the club for little or no outlay was unprecedented in the modern game and is the reason the team is so good now.

The base was laid and the owners must be very grateful to Clough for the way he stabilised the club, halved the wage bill and left an excellent, tight-knit squad.

The decision to then move to the next level, and increase investment was made and, i believe, the doubt that Clough's ability to spend big was as big a factor in him leaving as losing 3 tough games in a week.

Whatever, GSE started off poorly, allowed stupid money to be spent on very average players showing their total naivety of English football.

They then redeemed themselves for digging in for the long haul, sticking with Nigel instead of going down the hiring and firing route.

They have now passed into legendary status with their appointment of Rush and the backing for McClaren to take us into the Premiership.

We are in good hands. They will either sell up once established in the Prem or, if things go well, will stay and indulge themselves by bigging up their investment and basking in the limelight the Prem bestows....It'll be good for their American operations to have the global interest the Prem allows.

Jolly good egg all round!

Just need the new players to gel fairly quickly although Mac has shown he will not just throw them in until they've earned it.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

it always makes me laugh how people attribute the play-off winning season, the 2007 bit as a struggle because of signing players. We still played as well as before, we just weren't as lucky in the away games against Brum and Sunderland.

As for Mel Morris, when did he come in and how much has been invested since? compared to before?

A fella that came to fix the plumbing (not a euphemism), works at Moor Farm a lot. Says Mel Morris is always around and thinks he'll end up owning the club eventually. He also said that some of the players seem to think that SM may well go to Newcastle at the end of the season, they aren't sure. That worries me. 

I think a tight unit is key. Not thinking the gaffer might sod off. 

The January Window was the best deal since BOGOF (Buy one get one free). We bought one (Albentosa) and got  lots for free. Yippee. If you are glazing over at the level of my humour and you find it paneful then don't be surprised if you are in the frame for the 'Mr. Miserable' winner's sash.

The January Window was the best deal since BOGOF (Buy one get one free). We bought one (Albentosa) and got lots for free. Yippee. If you are glazing over at the level of my humour and you find it paneful then don't be surprised if you are in the frame for the 'Mr. Miserable' winner's sash.

I for one get what you are saying...about 70 percent of the time.But that 70 percent is quite good.

I think if we go up are backed Mac will stay.

If things are iffy or we miss out he'll be off to Newcastle. I'll be sad but won't begrudge it (much)

I'm mostly confident that if we get up he'll stay.

even if he goes, it's a job that would attract a good caliber of applicant. Hell, we might even get a CV from Stewart Pearce...

Real feel-good factor around the club ar the moment, coupled with some great PR.

Here's a great piece on McClaren in the Torygraph: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/teams/derby-county/11392450/Steve-McClarens-long-road-back-to-relevance-is-indictment-of-Premier-Leagues-popularity-contest.html

And the Yanks will love that Jack wants to bring George Clooney to a game at the iPride: http://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/Jack-O-Connell-Alvaston-star-reveals-wants-George/story-25980301-detail/story.html

Contrast our good publicity with our near neighbours, and you do have to laugh.

Always liked 'em.

Everyone has played their part in this transformation. Even Jewell was important because he set the bench mark for just how badly things could be done.

Let's just hope we can get promoted this season because I fear a little bit for our stability if we don't.

Promotion imperative this season rumour has it the sky premier league rights package bid is gonna be like nothing ever seen before

Big players in to win the rights Sky can't afford to lose premier league like Chsmpions league rights you only get 1 bid it's not like Ebay

This is why the big investment to win the even bigger jackpot coming

Archived