Mr Darren Ashley Bent

Day

He's turning into a prolific goalscorer - is scoring for fun - and we are going to leave him on the bench? The goal of football games is to score goals, and as much as we all love how pretty we play, after 60 minutes versus Blackburn we were all getting frustrated and bored, be honest. BENT TO START damn it!

Good option and interesting team selection today.

Think Steve will go with Martin up top on his own and 4-3-3 to start the game.

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good option and interesting team selection today.

Think Steve will go with Martin up top on his own and 4-3-3 to start the game.

Nope. You're winding me up lol. Steve outlined his thought processes in the DET. He wants to get Bent in there (that's his first thought). He also wants to play 2 up top with Martin slotted in behind. He's looking for a system to accommodate that, but he knows they sacrifice prettiness and control if they play 2 up and he doesn't want to do that. The kicker is that Omar and Hughes are the only centre mids truly in form, he may be more comfortable going with the diamond - push Hendrick out wide with Ward on the other side (i'd prefer Bennett myself but that won't happen).

So I think he will choose to play 2 up top to start with BENT in there. Even if he goes 4-3-3 I think it will be Bent in there, not Martin. You can't bench a player who just won you a game twice over playing just 20 minutes.

Nope. You're winding me up lol. Steve outlined his thought processes in the DET. He wants to get Bent in there (that's his first thought). He also wants to play 2 up top with Martin slotted in behind. He's looking for a system to accommodate that, but he knows they sacrifice prettiness and control if they play 2 up and he doesn't want to do that. The kicker is that Omar and Hughes are the only centre mids truly in form, he may be more comfortable going with the diamond - push Hendrick out wide with Ward on the other side (i'd prefer Bennett myself but that won't happen).

So I think he will choose to play 2 up top to start with BENT in there. Even if he goes 4-3-3 I think it will be Bent in there, not Martin. You can't bench a player who just won you a game twice over playing just 20 minutes.

You might be right I await team selection with interest .

Just watching Brentford against Boro on Sky now so bye for now.

PS Bamford just missed open goal

You might be right I await team selection with interest .

Just watching Brentford against Boro on Sky now so bye for now.

PS Bamford just missed open goal

Me too - watching it now... hoping for a draw?

I watched Bournemouth v Watford and I am watching Brentford v Boro today. None of these teams are going to go away. Time to forget the excuses because it is going to be a titanic battle and may go to the last game. Every game apart from Bournemouth and Boro are must win games as a draw will do against those two.

Is todays thrashing and potential sacking of Lambert for Villa bad news for us? Could Villa draft in a new manager that may want to re-call Bent (if that is possible) and give him another instant crack in the Prem. Alternatively could he return at the end of the season and be given a fresh chance by a new face?

Is todays thrashing and potential sacking of Lambert for Villa bad news for us? Could Villa draft in a new manager that may want to re-call Bent (if that is possible) and give him another instant crack in the Prem. Alternatively could he return at the end of the season and be given a fresh chance by a new face?

Loan can't be recalled outside the window I think, so we'd only need to keep him for another 24 hours. Out of contract in the summer as well.

I was thinking the same thing - Villa haven't scored in forever. There must be clamouring in some quarters to bring Bent back. Hopefully you're right Tombo but I am not sure of the rules. 

To my knowledge a loan can only be recalled if the club their loaned to agrees, unless there was a prior agreement. I'd assume that Villa has gone some kind of loan fee from us for Bent, and in such a case there wouldn't be such a clause.

Ibe was a bit different in that he was loaned here for experience, I doubt there was a fee involved, and such a clause would have been used as there was always a question of him playing for Liverpool, having been supposedly on the cusp of being called up for the first team.

Would Bent want to stay if we play the same system right through to the season end and he only ever gets games in the cup or off the bench? Maybe the Premiership would sway it but cant see him being happy unless he starts to play regularly at some stage.

• 2 weeks later...

He's got to start but accommodating him without fooking up the current system will always be difficult.

The only formation that would work would be the diamond (4-1-2-1-2) but slightly modified to have Martin deeper and Bent playing up top. We used it last night when Hendrick got pushed out to the right when the subs came.

The funny thing is, everyone is calling for Dawkins to play a more central role, using him a CM in a diamond is actually perfect for him, the same for Bryson as well.

Something like this.

http://sharemytactics.com/35646/

"http://sharemytactics.com/35646/Derby-formation-tactics" alt="Derby-formation-tactics">

So now Bent is a likely starter with Chrissy out for a while - this is where I am confused.

Bent does not work well with the 433, (at least it is not his natural game) even though we sort of played like that against the 'Muff - I don't feel it brings out the Best (see what I did there ^_^) in him -  and when we have used him with Martin - Martin has been the withdrawn striker.

Bent is a phenomenal striker - should we sacrifice the system a little to accommodate his skills? Or do we just carry on regardless with the 433?

So now Bent is a likely starter with Chrissy out for a while - this is where I am confused.

Bent does not work well with the 433, (at least it is not his natural game) even though we sort of played like that against the 'Muff - I don't feel it brings out the Best (see what I did there ^_^) in him -  and when we have used him with Martin - Martin has been the withdrawn striker.

Bent is a phenomenal striker - should we sacrifice the system a little to accommodate his skills? Or do we just carry on regardless with the 433?

Nothing to do with that. He's played up top by himself a hell of a lot.

The difference is with Martin there, we have the option to get it into feet to start the attack high up the pitch. With Bent, you do that by turning it in behind and getting support up, and you have your attacking base from there.

Absolutely no coincidence he scored when we got Dawkins on, who whether you love or hate him, takes it into feet up top and brings others into the game much more than the likes of Ward could, and we scored.

For me, Bent can play in the 433 no problems, but it means the wide players have to receive to feet and get the support involved, rather than it going to Martin (Bent).

Daren Bent did everything asked of him on Tuesday - he was strong, made intelligent runs, his link-up play was superb and he made excellent decisions. What he does, which Chris Martin doesn't, is that he can play on the shoulder of the last defender and use speed as well as strength to get past them.

Villa's loss is most definitely our gain.

Nothing to do with that. He's played up top by himself a hell of a lot.

The difference is with Martin there, we have the option to get it into feet to start the attack high up the pitch. With Bent, you do that by turning it in behind and getting support up, and you have your attacking base from there.

Absolutely no coincidence he scored when we got Dawkins on, who whether you love or hate him, takes it into feet up top and brings others into the game much more than the likes of Ward could, and we scored.

For me, Bent can play in the 433 no problems, but it means the wide players have to receive to feet and get the support involved, rather than it going to Martin (Bent).

Brilliant point. For all the Dawkins bashers fail to acknowledge the fact that he is our best ball retaining winger. Fans berate Dawkins more for checking back, holding on to the ball, and laying it back to Forsyth, than they berate Ward for wildly smashing the ball 20 feet over the bar from thirty yards out. 

I think Dawkins and Ince with Bent up top might be the way Macca goes. 

Archived