Mr Darren Ashley Bent

Day

• Replies 211
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I wouldn't start Bent if everyone is fit.

But now that we have injuries, and wingers out of form, we could always play a flexible 4-4-2 which would be more like 4-1-3-1-1:

A normal back 5:

DM: Mascarell

CM/RM: Hendrick

CM: Hughes

LW: Ward

AM/ST: Martin

ST: Bent

Obviously Hendrick would go out to the right, but he wouldn't exactly be a 'right winger' and I assume attacks would be more focused on going down the left. If not, Bent could pull out wide right on occasions to keep shape with the normal 4-3-3.

It would just be a case of trying to get Bent as central as possible and still use Martin as a pivot to play off.

I don't particularly like it as such, but it's designed to get the best out of one of the most natural goal scorers in the league when faced with a winger shortage.

That's how it went last night really. It was sort of a diamond but the left of the diamond was a LW position (Ward) and the right of the diamond was a deeper Hendrick.

Wouldn't normally pass too much of an opinion after just a couple of appearances but I feel Bent could just be the tipping point to get us up. Without him we could still be playing Blackburn and not have scored yet, it was one of those nights...

Bent will defend corners, score all sorts of goals and little else but make defenders nervous and force them to stay back where we want them. Useless to Villa perhaps because they wanted him to do much more. We are still in the Cup and he has got us two points after three games.

Twenty Clubs have scouts watching Chesterfield players at one match. The lad from Ilkeston, Che Adam had 35 scouts from 23 Clubs watching him at one game and Nigel Clough got him. He scored two against Spurs after coming on after 73 minutes!!!! Would be bad if we miss one at Chesterfield, shades of Kevin Davies.

Bent will defend corners, score all sorts of goals and little else but make defenders nervous and force them to stay back where we want them. Useless to Villa perhaps because they wanted him to do much more. We are still in the Cup and he has got us two points after three games.

Twenty Clubs have scouts watching Chesterfield players at one match. The lad from Ilkeston, Che Adam had 35 scouts from 23 Clubs watching him at one game and Nigel Clough got him. He scored two against Spurs after coming on after 73 minutes!!!! Would be bad if we miss one at Chesterfield, shades of Kevin Davies.

You can't sign everybody

People are getting a bit giddy.

Good start but its still early days.

And I can remember when john chiedozie looked a world beater, or when people were purring about nathan ellington, or Junior, or tito villa.

Tito scored the header of all headers and I was sold. 

He will be remembered for scoring both goals in a 1-1 draw with Forest. Not to mention he was always very keen to celebrate, no matter what the occasion.

I have vivid memories of him running straight into the crowd following his goal against Fulham, drop kicking a corner flag and scoring his hat-trick. 

Nathan Ellington will always be remembered as the penalty master. He could wrong foot a brick wall he was that good. 

Tito scored the header of all headers and I was sold. 

He will be remembered for scoring both goals in a 1-1 draw with Forest. Not to mention he was always very keen to celebrate, no matter what the occasion.

I have vivid memories of him running straight into the crowd following his goal against Fulham, drop kicking a corner flag and scoring his hat-trick. 

Nathan Ellington will always be remembered as the penalty master. He could wrong foot a brick wall he was that good. 

I remember this, I ran up and hugged him. It was in the North Stand. Tito is the Argentine Conor Sammon isn't he? If we didn't win that game, we were confirmed relegated. So to some extent the celebration makes sense... but then again did anyone really think we were staying up? He delayed our relegation for a game or two with that goal... or he would have done, had Fulham then not gone and equalised.

He would be starter in most of the Premier League teams so it's great to see him on our bench.

How long is it since we've needed a poacher upfront to get those scrappy goals. Him and Martin will be a great front two especially with hughesy playing behind them.

Peschisolido? It really has been a while!

I know it seems obvious that DB should now be starting every game , and I agree that he should now be accommodated , probably with Martin playing just behind him , which should be a formidable combination of Bent's goal poaching instincts and Martin's skill on the ball

and ability to bring both DB and the midfield into play ..

However , a word of caution ; whilst the signs that it will work look very good indeed , it might not , and if that were to happen and we lost 2 or 3 games whilst 'trialling' it , then there goes our chance of automatic promotion ..

I would say , on balance , that it would work , and work well , but what would you do if you were McLaren ? Stick with our 'tried , tested and proved' , bringing DB on for the last 20 mins. or so .. or gamble by changing it now !

If it ain't broke don't fix it. We're hitting our best form, results wise. Bent on the bench for now.

Agree with this. Tried and tested for 60 mins, then, if we're winning 3-0 no harm in trying something different, if we're drawing 0-0 then we probably need to try something different. If the 'something different' consistently works well for us, then we can start bringing it in from the start, and be confident that we have at least two systems that work.

He's turning into a prolific goalscorer - is scoring for fun - and we are going to leave him on the bench? The goal of football games is to score goals, and as much as we all love how pretty we play, after 60 minutes versus Blackburn we were all getting frustrated and bored, be honest. BENT TO START damn it!

Archived