Things you don't understand

Duracell

I like Big Bang Theory a lot. Those characters are real and so are their problems. People get to take a peak of lives of extraordinary people trying to cope with the world that sometimes puzzles them. And the audience can start to see a different kind of perspective of those that many people think just as nerds. This show makes those weird brainiacs likeble even when we don't often get them

The actors are mostly pretty good, and the writing is intelligent. The two different worlds that the characters present overlap realistically. The timing of the jokes is much tighter than with many other shows.

And it tells a story that hasn't been done a million times before like a lot of shows.

It's done in a completely unsubtle way. The horrid canned laughter, the exaggerated acting, the telegraphed jokes - it's so much slapped in your face I'm surprised the writers haven't put subtitles on the screen as commentary for how you're supposed to react. That Sheldon guy - the joke seems to be that he's autistic, in every single episode.

I see it from the perspective of it being harmless fun, but sorry Cisse, we will have to agree to disagree with it on the intelligent writing front. The reasons you've described for liking it are everything I'd say it's lacking, but it's popular so they must being doing something right.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duracell my friend I am sorry I know not either who Anime is.

Anime, for anyone else who hasn't heard of it, is this sort of nonsense

movie-anime

You know, comic book stuff. But not it's not general comics. Some people have an obsession with this particular art form.

I suspect i-Ram's not going to be very helpful in my quest for understanding though.

Wasn't this the stuff Damon had a bit of a liking for with Gorillaz? Could be wrong - all a Blur to me.

Nah it's more Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh (however you spell it) kind of thing.

Nice working in of the pun though, but I hope that we move back to the main discussion and that They have No Distance Left To Run.

Anime, for anyone else who hasn't heard of it, is this sort of nonsense

movie-anime

You know, comic book stuff. But not it's not general comics. Some people have an obsession with this particular art form.

I suspect i-Ram's not going to be very helpful in my quest for understanding though.

There's some anime on Redtube occasionally.

Apparently.

It's done in a completely unsubtle way. The horrid canned laughter, the exaggerated acting, the telegraphed jokes - it's so much slapped in your face I'm surprised the writers haven't put subtitles on the screen as commentary for how you're supposed to react. That Sheldon guy - the joke seems to be that he's autistic, in every single episode.

I see it from the perspective of it being harmless fun, but sorry Cisse, we will have to agree to disagree with it on the intelligent writing front. The reasons you've described for liking it are everything I'd say it's lacking, but it's popular so they must being doing something right.

Sheldon is far from autistic. The canned laughter is a problem for every sitcom I've seen.

Sheldon is far from autistic. The canned laughter is a problem for every sitcom I've seen.

A quote from Jim Parsons on Sheldon - "Sheldon couldn't display more traits of Asperger's"

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Parks and Recreation

Arrested Development

Curb Your Enthusiasm 

Modern Family

The League

Lots of amazing comedy shows without canned laughter.

A quote from Jim Parsons on Sheldon - "Sheldon couldn't display more traits of Asperger's"

It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

Parks and Recreation

Arrested Development

Curb Your Enthusiasm 

Modern Family

The League

Lots of amazing comedy shows with no canned laughter

The Office, Him & Her, The Trip...

Genuine laughter from a studio audience had its place once, in a different era, and when it wasn't contrived ala Only Fools, Dad's Army or Blackadder. Then you get things which are funny despite it rather than because of it in that period of the 90s like Alan Partridge before stuff like the Office came along and proved that you don't need it unless you want to patronise your audience, of if you're going for an ironic/retro feel.

Big Bang Theory is harmless, and it's put on at the time of the day when people clearly want things that don't really offer much of a challenge or involvement. That's not the real enemy.

The real evil is Mrs Brown's Boys.

They went and made a film of that.

A film!!!

talking of canned laughter, I think the very worst example of it is in "8 out of 10 cats Do Countdown", where Jimmy Carr does a conundrum before the ad break and when revealing a totally unfunny answer after the ad break, there's a canned chuckle. Annoys me.

Here's two things I don't understand, and I'm wondering if someone who does understand can help.

1.) Why do people like anime?

What is it about his particular style of drawing people and things that gets people really excited? Why would you go out of your way to watch it, or read it? What forms does it come in? Why was there always a group of people at school who were into it like a religion? Please help.

Anime is particularly good for character development within the construct of a world different enough that small anomalies don't break the willing suspension of disbelief. The art style lends itself to these two points i.e. within such a media changes within characters can be shown quite clearly, while emotion and reaction can be overdone, while not compromising the willing suspension of disbelief.

A great example would be the bizarre reactions you see from characters in Anime:

7ldubER

You only need to see the prevalence of memes in modern internet culture to see how effective such images are for getting ones reaction across.

It's the same sort of thing as using masks in stage production to make it clear who and the mind state of a character is.

Keep in mind that Anime is specifically the TV shows, the printed comics are called Manga. A lot of Manga series end up being made into Anime, and much like the whole "the book was better" thing you see with movies, there are many who prefer one over the other.

Ultimately though they are forms of media that lend themselves to long, interesting and character heavy stories, where in the Japanese style the viewer can allow themselves to be taken into a different world, like any fiction.

Family Guy, Big Bang Theory and How I Met Your Mother. People actually like these shows. Why?

Family Guy was funny because of it's complete absurdity at first, but it was always the kind of show that was funny for an episode or so. It seems like the kind of thing people either love or hate.

Uh, the Big Bang Theory though. It's one of those odd ones, not that poorly done, but equally the jokes are cringe worthy much of the time, with the odd moment that's actually really quite good. Intellectually it's about as deep as Family Guy, but again, it's that kind of American humour that people either love or hate. I would probably enjoy it more if people didn't compare me to Sheldon.

The Big Bang Theory was worth watching for a series or two. It's schlock, but it's entertaining schlock. The problem is that when the show is boiled down  you're looking at the same half a dozen jokes and premises recycled over and over again.

I don't understand the growing popularity of two sports.

American Football - It's like this sport was dreamed up by advertisers. I have never seen a game with so many stoppages in play. Why does a coach need to have time to reiterate the point to his big lads that they have to stop the quarter back throwing the ball? Surely they know by now, it's all they ever do. And what is special about this superb owl they keep banging on about?

Darts - A fun pub game to play with your mates. As a televised sport it is utter sausage. There are no tactics, no variables. The darts are the same weight and you stand the same distance from the board all the time. 50% of time you're aiming for the exact same spot on the board. They should play professional killer darts instead. That has intrigue, tactics, politicking and guaranteed fights.

2.) Why do people like Ed Sheeran?

It's not like just one person has heard his bland form of music and thought "oooo, you know what, that's just my cup of tea" - loads of people have. What's the appeal? He's the musical equivalent of 3 vests for

American Football - It's like this sport was dreamed up by advertisers. I have never seen a game with so many stoppages in play. Why does a coach need to have time to reiterate the point to his big lads that they have to stop the quarter back throwing the ball? Surely they know by now, it's all they ever do. And what is special about this superb owl they keep banging on about?

I never realised that it was getting any more popular? Is it taking off in England, certainly isn't in Australia.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with it being a dream of advertisers, because that's pretty much what it is, and what is likely funding major games being played overseas to try and push popularity.

I never realised that it was getting any more popular? Is it taking off in England, certainly isn't in Australia.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with it being a dream of advertisers, because that's pretty much what it is, and what is likely funding major games being played overseas to try and push popularity.

Slowly growing in popularity I'd say. In the same way proper football has been slowly growing in America for years.

Archived