Things you don't understand

Duracell

Slowly growing in popularity I'd say. In the same way proper football has been slowly growing in America for years.

Not in the same way, surely. In America they have an improving national team, a strong league getting stronger, stars from Europe coming over to play, growing money in the game. I honestly couldn't name a single player of American Football from outside the US or Canada (I'm sure there would be a small handful), let alone a league.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not in the same way, surely. In America they have an improving national team, a strong league getting stronger, stars from Europe coming over to play, growing money in the game. I honestly couldn't name a single player of American Football from outside the US or Canada (I'm sure there would be a small handful), let alone a league.

I mean more the way it was slowly growing pre-Beckham at Galaxy, and in terms of the public interest in the sport.

I really don't think it's grown in the UK at all. 30 years ago, I remember a bit of publicity in the run up to the Superbowl and some of my mates would pretend to be interested in it for a few days. Then it would all be forgotten again. Other than the odd feature game at Wembley, I can't see that much has changed at all in that time, at least with the young-uns I know.

I never realised that it was getting any more popular? Is it taking off in England, certainly isn't in Australia.

I think you've hit the nail on the head with it being a dream of advertisers, because that's pretty much what it is, and what is likely funding major games being played overseas to try and push popularity.

On the subject of things I don't understand, maybe you could help with some antipodean curiosities.

Aussie Rules - Admittedly I've seen very little of this sport, but what I've gleaned from that is;

A load of blokes get kitted out in their finest wife beaters to have a scrap. If you get the ball it must be immediately hoofed into the air so you can get on with the fighting.

Schoolies - I watched something on youtube about this the other day. It looked like an Al Qaeda recruitment video.

On the subject of things I don't understand, maybe you could help with some antipodean curiosities.

Aussie Rules - Admittedly I've seen very little of this sport, but what I've gleaned from that is;

A load of blokes get kitted out in their finest wife beaters to have a scrap. If you get the ball it must be immediately hoofed into the air so you can get on with the fighting.

Schoolies - I watched something on youtube about this the other day. It looked like an Al Qaeda recruitment video.

Never really got AFL (Aussie Rules is a odd name for the sport, it's a Victorian thing), but I have played it, watched it and such.

Essentially you have two teams of 18 people on a cricket field. They are able to hold the ball, kick the ball, but if passed from the hands it has to be punched between players, you can't "throw" the ball between eachother. You may tackle eachother, jump on eachother and such. Catching a ball that has been kicked (at least 15 metres if I recall) is called a "mark", and the player is awarded a free kick of the ball. The song "Up There Cazaly", what "Steve Bloomer's Watching" is based on, is a song about a player called Roy Cazaly's ability to mark (catch) the ball.

Points are scored by kicking the ball between a set of posts. There are 4 in all, 2 tall, two short, with the two tall ones in the middle, the short ones outside them, equally spaced. It's 6 points for kicking between the big ones, one pick if it's between a big one and a small one. A team kicking or hitting the ball into their own "goal" is 1 point, rather than 6. I never really got the excitement in the scoring, it always came across as points and pitty points.

A game consists of 4 quarters of 25 minutes, which seems like quite an amount of time for the players to be running around, but they get interchanges, and whilst they're slowing limiting the outright number, it still may as well be unlimited (~120 at this time if I recall right). If I recall, it's 3 "interchange" players, and a substitute. The substitute may replace one player in the team (once they replace them, that's it, the player they replace is gone, they are in, like in Football, interchange still works as usual).

The sport is most popular in Victoria (where most of the teams are), as well as South Australia and Western Australia. Attempts to spread it in Queensland and NSW have had mixed success. The most recent new team, the Great Western Sydney Giants (yep, that's the name) is based in Western Sydney, and has struggled to compete against the new A-league (Football) side the Western Sydney Wanderers (recently crowned Champions of Asia) in terms of popularity. The most popular sport in Queensland and NSW is still Rugby League to the best of my knowledge.

Overall the sport seems the most enjoyable when you're actually playing it, but I find it completely and utterly boring to watch. Like any team sport though there are plenty of passionate supporters. Just not something I ever really enjoyed on that level.

As for Schoolies, I honestly don't really know, I didn't go the year I finished. A bunch of people party after school finishes. Normally makes a few headlines each year.

Further to that - how are you supposed to tell when Home and Away finishes and Neighbours begins? Other than the beach disappearing.

I've seen in my life, maybe 15 minutes of the two combined. They are however broadcast on two different channels here in Australia, but I honestly don't know anyone who watches the free to air channels for anything other than the cricket or 'footy' (can refer to AFL or Rugby League, depending on context).

As for Schoolies, I honestly don't really know, I didn't go the year I finished. A bunch of people party after school finishes. Normally makes a few headlines each year.

So you've lived for Australia for a long time - or you are in fact Australian??

So you've lived for Australia for a long time - or you are in fact Australian??

I may have explained this before on here, but essentially yes. Born and raised in Australia, moved around a lot when I was younger, spent a lot of time with my Grandmother who raised me on a diet of Football which consisted of Derby in 90s.

I may have explained this before on here, but essentially yes. Born and raised in Australia, moved around a lot when I was younger, spent a lot of time with my Grandmother who raised me on a diet of Football which consisted of Derby in 90s.

Well I never knew that :)

Have you seen Derby play in the flesh many times?

How do you grow seedless grapes?

Selective breeding to reduce the size of the seeds, and in some stocks no noticeable seeds. If I recall some actually still have "seeds" that haven't developed properly (not hardened for example)

Seedless Bananas are infertile and don't grow seeds at all. They're created by hybridisatio and cultivated from that.

It's worth noting planting seeds from fruit you eat isn't likely to produce a plant capable of good fruit. i.e. Planting an apple tree from a seed generally produces rubbish fruit. Most commercial apple trees are grafts. This is done by using one plant as "root stock" (you cut everything above the root) and then graft the more favourable plant you wish to grow on top. This has a lot of other advantages as well, such as being able to produce fruit sooner. This is done for a lot of fruiting trees. Here's a video showing the process.

Fake social media accounts. I'm

Not talking the obvious parodies...

The ones that that try and ruin people's lives "catfish" ones...

I feel for people by the way that do that. They are clearly not well and would love to help them out.

You've been Catfished

Archived