Ivan Calero to Burton on loan?

DcFc Dyycheee

Going out on loan never did beckhm, osman, Ibe, Sturridge, Thorne, etc any harm, and wasn't anything to do with there ability to perform at their respective club.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A loan spell will be good for his development.  He hasn't had a lot of first team football recently and hopefully he'll get that at Burton and come back with the confidence to push on and challenge for a place in the first team.

I haven't watched much U21 football this season, but he's up there along with the most influential players. 

5 assists, 2 goals in 9 appearances. I think he'd be a huge loss to our U21 Prem team. I don't think we would loan him to Burton. 

I could be wrong but I have to concur, he has a record at U21 level that should be able to get him a good League One club easily.

It's not that simple. Do any League 1 clubs want him. Do any league one clubs want him who have a similar playing philisophy to us? Are any of them fairly local. He's a young lad in a foreign country remember. Are they a winning team? Would you rather send him to bottom of league 1 or top of league 2?

He might be too good for League 2 but is there any point sending him to a hoofball team at the other end of the country just because they are in League 1. Look what happened with Bennett.

Burton are local and play a similar style to us. They have a top coach, top facilities and are a winning team. He will be playing in a side who are flying.

From Ivan's point of view, he thinks that he needs a fresh impetus. he could not get a game against Southport and Kwame and Alefe have in some senses been preferred to him as loan material. Steve told Ivan that he wanted him pushing for the first team by the end of this season, His mate Omar has had a lot of games. No good to Ivan being the star of the U21s and being in the squad but not getting any game time. Jimmy can improve his forward play surely. Ivan feels stuck, with Steve looking for another winger. The message is clear that he is not ready for the first team, so what can he do? Alefe was asking for a loan for months before he got one. Steve has too many promising players in the U21s and too big a squad to take any risks in not getting promoted so the U21s will have to go out on loan as a stopgap for now. At some point Steve will have to have a clear out if we get promoted.

I don't think there's a masterplan to ruin Calero's career.

U21's football/u18's football is miles off this level.

Huge gap.

If he was ready then he'd be getting games. I don't think McClaren thinks "there's a good player. I don't want one of those"

The main thing is that he's used in a way that benefits him at Burton. That's why we are getting a whole different quality of loan now. Because we play to the strengths of these players and don't just pass it 30 yards above their heads and then ask them to defend for a 25 mins

I don't think there's a masterplan to ruin Calero's career.

U21's football/u18's football is miles off this level.

Huge gap.

If he was ready then he'd be getting games. I don't think McClaren thinks "there's a good player. I don't want one of those"

The main thing is that he's used in a way that benefits him at Burton. That's why we are getting a whole different quality of loan now. Because we play to the strengths of these players and don't just pass it 30 yards above their heads and then ask them to defend for a 25 mins

Not just me that's thinking people are way over thinking this at both ends of spectrum?

Not just me that's thinking people are way over thinking this at both ends of spectrum?

Nah. It's just a young lad that's gone out on loan to a local club that wanted to loan him to play games more compettive and serious than on a park in front of 20 people.

If reserve or whatever football was that good then we wouldn't have had Ibe or Bamford etc.

Just don't want our players chasing hoofs

Nah. It's just a young lad that's gone out on loan to a local club that wanted to loan him to play games more compettive and serious than on a park in front of 20 people.

If reserve or whatever football was that good then we wouldn't have had Ibe or Bamford etc.

I think that Burton like to play it 'the right way' too.

Hasselbaink hates a hoof

Anyone assume he's been sent there to toughen up physically? I imagine the under 21s to be mainly young lads so it'll do him a world of good to learn how to play against some 30 year old journey man who's just gonna try and kick him because he's small and skillful and he will get kicked when he plays

• 2 weeks later...

Archived