Newcastle back in for McClaren

Ambitious

• Replies 97
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ashley does not want to pay a big compensation bill for McClaren, who is bidding for promotion to the Premier League with the Rams, and may wait until the summer for the former England boss.

This is where the article seems to fall down for me.

McClaren is not out of contract in the summer, so why would compensation amounts differ (other than there will be 4 months less of his contract to buy out) if he goes now or if he goes in the summer?

As to whether McClaren would leave if we fail to get promoted

Rush has the biggest balls out there!

He simply wouldnt allow it, whether Macca had second thoughts or not following an unsuccessful promotion bid.

I took a lot of heart recently from an interview I heard with Chris Evans where he indicated wanting the best players for derby and more importantly that no Premiership club was going to take talented players off our hands. Sam, Scheve and Evans were in full agreement over this.

Garde, who works as a pundit for French TV, did not seem in any rush to take the post and that went down badly among the Newcastle hierarchy, who want someone keen on the job.

So they come back in for someone who has publicly said the job link is unflattering and has said he doesn't want to leave Derby... for any job... when asked about a move to Newcastle... publicly...

Seems an odd logic leap from Nixon there... almost like he doesn't know what he's talking about...

I still believe that McClaren's  ambition will lead to think about any Premier League job that his agent tells him that he is being considered for. I think he will leave when he thinks he can significantly further his career. Clearly, our position relative to the potential new club's position is highly relevant. It will take a fairly special offer for him to walk away with promotion still a very realistic possibility. However, in the summer we revert to being another Championship club with zero points and a squad likely to get pillaged. At that point McClaren will take less persuading by any Premier League club.

Coming back to Newcastle - their recent statements about the head coach having no say on transfer matters will completely put McClaren off, or any other non-desperate manager. At this point managing DCFC is a far more attractive proposition than managing Newcastle. There is no way McClaren will even consider this move, even if Mike Ashley decides he wants him.

Don't forget that McClaren has been badly burned by taking risks on high profile jobs, or where the club is badly run

Why would any manager leave a club where they are enjoying success, the fans, the board, the players are all moving in the same direction?

The only reason he'd go anywhere would be because of some behind-the-scenes issue that we don't know about.

Even then, the Newcastle job would be a hiding to nothing..

This is where the article seems to fall down for me.

McClaren is not out of contract in the summer, so why would compensation amounts differ (other than there will be 4 months less of his contract to buy out) if he goes now or if he goes in the summer?

As to whether McClaren would leave if we fail to get promoted

Why don't they go for Howe?

Younger, impressive record on a smaller budget and likely to be cheaper than Mcclaren.

10k home crowds at Bournemouth or 50,000 up at Newcastle..?

Or even Mick McCarthy, both have done just a Good job this season than Mcclaren and spent less in Ipswichs case.

We don't know contract details, but likely to have a lower compensation figure if he chose to leave at end of a season, and a higher figure if he chose to leave in middle of a season

Newcastle have released this information. To me that implies they do want McClaren, and are letting Geordie fans know they are prepared to wait.

If we do not go up then a certainty he would go there given the likely offer he will receive.  He is working in the exact same structure at Derby as a Head coach.

We need to go up, and also to be able to spend big to get to the level Newcastle are at .....ie big players on big contracts ( I know money solely does not buy success ......but we would have to be serious about the Premier League to impress McClaren in the face of suitors )

I for one am worried.

If McClaren is to be tempted by Newcastle in the summer even if we are in the Premier League, it makes it a hard call for current owners to releases funds now. NOTE :Mel Morris was involved with the Billy Davies debacle and circus where allegedly some board members wanted BD out, yet he was backed by Gadsby

Seriously?

That would mean that they would have had to approach Derby beforehand - otherwise it would be construed as deliberate 'tapping-up'.

On the other hand, and bearing in mind just how much you gullible idiots read into these things, McClaren is now out to 4th or 5th favourite for the Newcastle job.

Archived