Derby County v Notts Forest

Gritstone Ram

would actually put Hendrick in the holding role for this.. I know it hasn't worked before but just don't think its the right game for Mascarell. or maybe we'll go with the 442 with Bent up top then it takes the holding midfield situation out the equation altogether?? wouldn't be the worst thing in the world would it! ooh the possibilities..

• Replies 658
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think this is the perfect game for Mascarell - absolute must, for me. 

We need to keep this game as open and attacking as possible. Forest have also become weak at defending set-pieces, so he would be ideal for that. 

Anyway, who misses out on the matchday squad. We could have:

Grant, Roos; Christie, Albentosa, Keogh, Buxton, Shotton, Forsyth, Warnock; Hughes, Hendrick, Bryson, Mascarell, Coutts; Ibe, Dawkins, Ward, Russell; Martin and Bent

20 to fit in 18 - Coutts is the obvious one, but who else. 

Why do people always want to put Hendrick at CDM, despite plenty of evidence he's not good at it?

He might be a big lad, but he's not strong enough in the tackle, nor a good enough passer, and he certainly doesn't have the positional discipline for the role.

In fact, of all our midfielders he's the one I miss the least when not playing.

Just a thought but is the ratio of time that the Rams have held the Brian Clough Trophy to the Gumps greater or less than Australia's time nursing the Ashes?

Or is the percentage about the same as American vs British Wimbledon winners?

Scottish World Cup goal scorers?

Do the Gumps even bother to leave a space for it in their cabinet anymore?

What Steve has to do now, is to convince all the players that it is a squad plus now, twenty two players, some of which will not be in the squad. Do not panic lads you will still get your Premiership wages increase, just do not moan, otherwise you may be heading elsewhere because this is a group effort and only those players with that attitude are really welcome. McClaren is reconstructing the Man Utd plan here and now. The idea is this,the Club is bigger than you, we will compete for all trophies full on. We have lots of players to do the job. if you want to play then try harder. No-one has a place on a plate.

Just a thought but is the ratio of time that the Rams have held the Brian Clough Trophy to the Gumps greater or less than Australia's time nursing the Ashes?

Or is the percentage about the same as American vs British Wimbledon winners?

Scottish World Cup goal scorers?

Do the Gumps even bother to leave a space for it in their cabinet anymore?

I'd say more like the Ryder Cup, before Europe joined GB&I.

What Steve has to do now, is to convince all the players that it is a squad plus now, twenty two players, some of which will not be in the squad. Do not panic lads you will still get your Premiership wages increase, just do not moan, otherwise you may be heading elsewhere because this is a group effort and only those players with that attitude are really welcome. McClaren is reconstructing the Man Utd plan here and now. The idea is this,the Club is bigger than you, we will compete for all trophies full on. We have lots of players to do the job. if you want to play then try harder. No-one has a place on a plate.

You're right because as players get less playing time they get frustrated, and discord creeps in. I have to say that Bryson must be getting frustrated; with Bent, has a bad seed has been sown in his mind with getting zero minutes at Ipswich, not even a token debut at the end? hope not. What of Will Hughes - with his being yo-yo'd in and out, Omar in then out, Ward not getting back in, Buxton out then in, Shotton in then out. Dawks left out for Ibe. 

It's a tough job managing to win and keeping players happy. I don't have a solution per se, and Mac's giving players chances for the most part, but I would not however irritate my best players, and for me, that's quite possibly Hughes and Bryson. They'd start every game come hell or high water. With Thorne back  keep those 3 in there every game if possible. With Russell to the side of them.

Really think this'll be a tricky one.. We're expected to win, they'll be doing everything to try and turn our form around.. We should play with the team that beat Ipswich with Omar in of course. If things are going our way during the match reckon Bryson should get some minutes.

Why are people suddenly suggesting chopping the formation and playing players out of position?

Hendrick is a central midfielder not a central defensive midfielder

We aren't going to change a formation that has provided us with over a 58% win rate since McClaren took charge

Now is not the time to try a new formation

Forsyth is not a centre forward

Bent is not a winger

Dawkins is not a central midfielder

Archived