Isak Ssewankambo

sage

Announced. Signed on a 2.5yr deal.

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/isak-ssewankambo-joins-derby-county-2199316.aspx

Rams land Isak Ssewankambo following trial spell with the Club.

Derby County have signed Sweden Under 21 international defender Isak Ssewankambo following a spell on trial with the Club. 

The 18-year-old has joined the Rams on a two-and-a-half-year deal after recently parting company with Dutch top flight side NAC Breda.

Comfortable playing in defence or midfield, Ssewankambo trained with Derby at the end of December and in early January prior to putting pen-to-paper.

Prior to his move to Holland, he had spent two years at Chelsea between 2012 and 2014 and he was part of their 2014 FA Youth Cup winning squad, as well as featuring regularly for their reserve side.

He then moved to NAC Breda last summer and made 13 Eredivisie games before leaving the Club last month. 

Both in Angered in Sweden, Ssewankambo has represented his country at Under 17, Under 19 and Under 21 level.

Read more at http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/isak-ssewankambo-joins-derby-county-2199316.aspx#g8dlrHabb7mtEotM.99

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
TobyWanKenobi
condor, on 12 Jan 2015 - 5:08 PM, said:

Agree with previous posts. He was playing 1st team football in the Netherlands. Can't see him being content with a place in our u21's

I would assume he's happy to accept a role this season that means him proving himself in the U21 side, and perhaps from the bench at times, with a view to breaking into the 1st team squad next.

Evans is just having a laugh - he's only signing players associated with masturbatory innuendo  - w.a.n.k, tosa and son of Colin

I'm guessing that we'll be going for Pedro Fiveknuckleshuffle next

Argelico f*cks to come out of retirement

Evans is just having a laugh - he's only signing players associated with masturbatory innuendo  - w.a.n.k, tosa and son of Colin

I'm guessing that we'll be going for Pedro Fiveknuckleshuffle next

After signing Bent, and probably AlBENTosa... I expect Bentaleb next.

I guess we found the hardest Swedish name to pronounce.

Great scouting.

From what I can tell, it should be: Seh-wahn-kam-boh. Shouldn't be too hard to pronounce. To be completely honest, I'd expect more people to get names like Kacaniklic, Hiljemark or Fejzullahu wrong.

Mascarell shouldn't be too bad, surely.

I think the hardest for people to get right would have been Cywka in recent years.

Think absolutely everyone gets it wrong. It should be "Masca-reye".

Few subjects light my candle quite like the pronunciation of footballer's names.

Think absolutely everyone gets it wrong. It should be "Masca-reye".

Few subjects light my candle quite like the pronunciation of footballer's names.

It's not quite "Masca-reye" either. The sound the 'll' probably represents here is a palatal lateral approximant, and you'd probably put Mascarell as [Masca?e?] (seems the forum can't handle these characters anymore). Without being used to Spanish it'd be quite difficult to get across exactly how that would come out, but "Mascareye" doesn't quite capture it either. Strangely enough, Marcarey would be a bit closer (that is, Marcareye, without a "eh" sound of any sort on the end, not Mascaree), but really, Mascarell (with a 'l' sound on the end) isn't really that far off, and is probably better than absolutely mangling his name in the attempt.

It's not quite "Masca-reye" either. The sound the 'll' probably represents here is a palatal lateral approximant, and you'd probably put Mascarell as [Masca?e?] (seems the forum can't handle these characters anymore). Without being used to Spanish it'd be quite difficult to get across exactly how that would come out, but "Mascareye" doesn't quite capture it either. Strangely enough, Marcareye would be a bit closer (that is, Marcareye, without a "eh" sound of any sort on the end), but really, Mascarell (with a 'l' sound on the end) isn't really that far off, and is probably better than absolutely mangling his name in the attempt.

I know "Masca-reye" isn't perfect either but sounded much closer to his own pronunciation of his name.

Wonder what Spanish fans would make of Eustace's name if he ever plied his trade over there.

I know "Masca-reye" isn't perfect either but sounded much closer to his own pronunciation of his name.

Wonder what Spanish fans would make of Eustace's name if he ever plied his trade over there.

Again, 'll' isn't a 'letter' we use in English, and it's a bit hard to get across exactly what it is. However, there are much worse attempts that we just brush off (i.e. pretty much any name of any Middle East state). "Masca-reye" sounds like you're trying to say Mascarelle, which most certainly isn't his name. However, as an English approximate of 'Mascarell', saying "Masca-rel" or "Masca-rey" (that being a 'hard y', not a soft one) is about as close as most English speakers are going to get. In Spanish how it's pronounce can vary a bit though depending on region, but I'd say using 'l' is probably going to be closest for English speakers.

Eustace wouldn't be too hard for them. The phonemes are ones they'd be roughly familiar with. It'd come out something like "Yoo-stas".

Never mind the pronunciation, just the thought of Johnny kicking lumps out of La Liga is good enough for me

Again, 'll' isn't a 'letter' we use in English, and it's a bit hard to get across exactly what it is. However, there are much worse attempts that we just brush off (i.e. pretty much any name of any Middle East state). "Masca-reye" sounds like you're trying to say Mascarelle, which most certainly isn't his name. However, as an English approximate of 'Mascarell', saying "Masca-rel" or "Masca-rey" (that being a 'hard y', not a soft one) is about as close as most English speakers are going to get. In Spanish how it's pronounce can vary a bit though depending on region, but I'd say using 'l' is probably going to be closest for English speakers.

Eustace wouldn't be too hard for them. The phonemes are ones they'd be roughly familiar with. It'd come out something like "Yoo-stas".

Think that's you well and truly told Duracell.....

Archived