Isak Ssewankambo

sage

Think absolutely everyone gets it wrong. It should be "Masca-reye".

Few subjects light my candle quite like the pronunciation of footballer's names.

I'm the opposite. Can't stand smartarse commentators pronouncing a name different to the English version. That bloke pronouncing James Rodriguez as Ham-es during the World Cup. Grrrrr.

We never hold foreigners to the same standard for butchering English. No one had a pop at David (that's Dayvid) Ginola when he was harping on about his 'ealthy looking 'air

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm the opposite. Can't stand smartarse commentators pronouncing a name different to the English version. That bloke pronouncing James Rodriguez as Ham-es during the World Cup. Grrrrr.

We never hold foreigners to the same standard for butchering English. No one had a pop at David (that's Dayvid) Ginola when he was harping on about his 'ealthy looking 'air

It is pronounced Ham-es though, not James. Just because it is the same spelling doesn't mean it's necessarily the same pronunciation. Another example is Jesus and Angel are pronounced Hay-zeus and Ann-ghel in Spanish speaking countries and Martin would be Martan in French speaking countries. It's not smart arse to pronounce someones name the way it's meant to be, Stringerbe-ye.

It is pronounced Ham-es though, not James. Just because it is the same spelling doesn't mean it's necessarily the same pronunciation. Another example is Jesus and Angel are pronounced Hay-zeus and Ann-ghel in Spanish speaking countries and Martin would be Martan in French speaking countries. It's not smart arse to pronounce someones name the way it's meant to be, Stringerbe-ye.

Yes it is. I'm well aware that's how they're names are pronounced - where they're from. I also know that is not how they're pronounced here.

The name on my birth certificate is Daniel. I'm well aware that many people around the world would call me Danielle. I would have no problem with this if I were in such a country where that is the standard pronunciation

Yes it is. I'm well aware that's how they're names are pronounced - where they're from. I also know that is not how they're pronounced here.

The name on my birth certificate is Daniel. I'm well aware that many people around the world would call me Danielle. I would have no problem with this if I were in such a country where that is the standard pronunciation

And I am called Danielle at the weekends but that's by the by

Hmmm... I was going to laugh at your original point but you follow up with a well reasoned argument... even if it is a bit backwards to most people...

Generally it's considered good form to try and pronounce a name the way the person themselves would want it pronounced... So Rodriguez being from a Latin american country he probably uses 'Ha-mes'... so that's what most people would try and use...

Also most mispronunciations in other cultures occur when they don't have the same language sounds as we do... People raised in English (and German and most of Scandinavia) don;t have the same problem adapting to different vowel sounds etc as speakers of the traditional romantic languages...

The classic example for me is that you'd always say Thierry 'En-ree' not 'Hen-ree'

I'm not getting mixed up just don't see the problem with pronouncing names, words etc how were taught to in our own language. It's not wrong to call James Rodriguez James instead of Hames per se, it's just different. Like calling Francais France. If I was his best mate I'd call him whatever he preferred. But if I was an English football commentator I'd pronounce his name like an English person would.

It's why some Indian people say Wera Duckvorth.

I'm not getting mixed up just don't see the problem with pronouncing names, words etc how were taught to in our own language. It's not wrong to call James Rodriguez James instead of Hames per se, it's just different. Like calling Francais France. If I was his best mate I'd call him whatever he preferred. But if I was an English football commentator I'd pronounce his name like an English person would.

It's why some Indian people say Wera Duckvorth.

Do people give you funny looks when you talk about Tierry 'Hen-ree'?

I agree with Stringer really. Even worse are English commentators who invent a pronunciation to make it sound exotic and foreign. A classic example being ex Argentina international Rene Houseman. His name was clearly an English name because he was of British extraction. Bit like Baby Houseman in Dirty Dancing

Anyway that world cup, Barry Davies or John Motson or whoever it was decided it should be pronounced Housyman. Drove me mad   

Terry Henry? Karl Henry's brother?

It's funny you should say that because that's exactly how people did pronounce his name when he played for Juve. Before Match of the Day gave us all an unwanted French lesson

Yep.

That there Terry Enry.

I agree with Stringer really. Even worse are English commentators who invent a pronunciation to make it sound exotic and foreign. A classic example being ex Argentina international Rene Houseman. His name was clearly an English name because he was of British extraction. Bit like Baby Houseman in Dirty Dancing

Anyway that world cup, Barry Davies or John Motson or whoever it was decided it should be pronounced Housyman. Drove me mad   

Haven't you ever been to Chapelle Sonne Layonards ?

Terry Henry? Karl Henry's brother?

It's funny you should say that because that's exactly how people did pronounce his name when he played for Juve. Before Match of the Day gave us all an unwanted French lesson

As much as I know that's mostly a joke we are just descending into ignorance now... The distinction between european languages has been eroding for years now and there are many phrases and words which slip across the language barrier... for instance 'deja vu'... French phrase... now part of the English language... and it's pronounced 'day-djar voo' not 'dedga-vu'

Also... Stop encouraging them eddie...

As much as I know that's mostly a joke we are just descending into ignorance now... The distinction between european languages has been eroding for years now and there are many phrases and words which slip across the language barrier... for instance 'deja vu'... French phrase... now part of the English language... and it's pronounced 'day-djar voo' not 'dedga-vu'

Also... Stop encouraging them eddie...

So now I'm pronouncing d

Archived