Derby County v Wigan Athletic

PrivateDerby

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

On the performance, it was awful, wretched and utterly forgettable. We didn't win any second balls, couldn't get any soirt of grip on the game and our wide players were really poor.

Credit Wigan, they played that long ball pick up the second ball tactics to perfection. I wouldn't want to play like that every week as it clearly isn't viable as a long-term option, but it was an excellent performance from them.

We'll lose more games this season. We just have to bounce back quickly.

Thorne was badly missing in a game like this - and so was Ward for that matter.

Don't be ridiculous. We're top of the league, so what we're doing is quite clearly good enough for a side aiming for promotion.

95% of what we do is very good. The way we defend set pieces is what I said isn't good enough. It's like watching a side at the wrong end of the table the way we defend and take set pieces about time it was addressed

Not good at all today and i dare say our worst performance of the season. We just looked absolutely lost on the pitch the majority of the time. Hats off to Rosler and Wigan for a great game plan and they deserved to win.  Again, we have issues with breaking teams down; that needs to be rectified ASAP.

Overall team performance 3/10.  No use rating players, everyone was pretty much rubbish imo.

Still top of the table in GD...and Forest fell to 7th.  I am confident Mac will fix our issues. Onwards and upwards. Can't go without a loss forever.

Thought Wigan thoroughly deserved it... Don't know about long ball pings... Some of there link up play in the channels was pretty good. Thought it was us resorting to long ball a lot today...

Yep crap performance, was hard to watch us not be able to string a few passes together. But the thing that worried me the most was McClaren going 442 at 1-1 at a time when wigan were taking the game to us. Thought a straight swap for mascarell instead would of done the job.

But a special mention for Madley? you sir are by far the worst ref ive ever seen! at least you consistent I guess. Jeez

Terrible performance, as everyone has mentioned. It was hard to watch from the 1st minute to the 85th when I left.

Butland - 6 - great first half keeping made up for bad kicking. Second half, both goals were preventable. 

Christie - 5 - Didn't stop the crosses, looked like he was playing on a tranquilliser - he was very subdued.

Keogh - 5 - Bad game, no hiding away from it. Not quite as bad as his partner in crime.

Whitbread - 4 - I'm being generous with that four, he was absolutely shocking.  

Forysth - 5 - Again, I feel like I'm being generous. Poor.

Eustace - 6 - Scored the goal, apart from that made very little contribution to us having possession. He lost the ball countless times. Big come down, especially after Omar's performance v Blackpool. 

Bryson - 5 - Ran alot, but was very sloppy. 

Hughes - 4 - So off the pace today. He gave the ball away far too much. 

Ibe - 4 - Being generous. He offered nothing. Lost the ball countless times.

Russell - 6 MOTM - Average, and with that he was our best player. Great ball for our goal.

Martin - 5 - Nearly scored towards the end. Was given little or nothing by the ref that clearly had him pegged. Wigan played on that and wrestled him to the floor a few times in the first half. Arguably should have been given a penalty in the first half, his marker couldn't have pulled him much more. 

Dawkins - 6 - Offered more than Ibe. 

Hendrick - 6 - Offered more than Hughes.

Best - 5 - Offered nothing.

Team performance average: 5.21 (our worst of the season)

Bottom three:

Wigan (H) - 2-1 loss - 5.21 rating

Millwall (H) - 0-0 draw - 5.57 rating

Charlton (A) - 3-2 loss - 5.64 rating

You'll see our worst two performances of the season have come in the last two home games. A very, very bad month in terms of performances.

I can't but feel that the longer we play the likes of Whitbread and Shotton - both have been poor - over Buxton, the longer we're shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Blackpool could have easily had two, Reading could have had two or three... and Wigan have scored twice. 

Yes we are Cumbrian and no one can argue that fact but we've just been beaten by a team who, had we beaten them, would have ended today fourth from bottom. If we can't put on a performance at home straight after we hit top spot in the division, when can we ?

Hope it's just a blip and we can get back to doing what we do best pronto.

We weren't daring that was the problem.

We missed Thorne so badly in a game like this it was hard to watch.

Every time we had a goalkick we had nothing to aim for. Wigan pushed three up top to counter the short ball and it forced us long which they mopped up time and time again with the second balls.

Bryson and Highes barely had a touch, and when they did it was all hurried and given away.

We needed a midfielder to drop back and pick up the ball from Butland - whose kicking is awful by the way - and the person who did that was Thorne. Eustace hid for most of the game, and his only contributions were either fouling, giving the ball away or scoring a tap in.

Whitbead was utterly clueless in possession and Buxton was badly missed for a game like this.

Credit Wigan, they certainly did their homework and realised that by applying high pressure without bravery from our side it would turn it into a scrappy hoofball game.

They dominated, and in the first 10 minutes of the game it was obvious we had nothing as we couldn't even get out of our own half.

On a posiitve note, Dawkins was excellent from 45-60 mins. Could have scored, played some great first time passes and I honestly felt we should have scored a second (andarguably a game killing goal) during this period.

Archived