Derby County v Wigan Athletic

PrivateDerby

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Really poor performance, only Russell really played well. Felt a bit like Sheffield Wednesday away, where we couldn't get out or get going at all. Similarly in that game Christie started badly defensively and seemed to lose confidence going forward, probably costing him his place for Forest away.

With them stopping the pass to Eustace, we really needed Hughes to come and offer for the pass, but unfortunately he looked like he needs a rest and was anonymous.

First half was awful, but don't think they looked that dangerous, can only think of one chance? and the penalty. We seemed to play better at 1-0 up, they stopped pressing as much, and we could really have put the game to bed. I don't know why Bryson tried to pass the ball in and think if the Martin pass to Russell had been the other way round, we'd have scored. But as soon as they scored, the game was only going to end one way.

Ref was awful, but for both teams generally. Thought it was handball, but not sure if ball to hand or one of those where he tried to move his chest to block the ball. I don't know if it was just my imagination, or did Mcmanaman try and headbutt Keogh after he'd confronted him for his 'dive'? Only came up to his chest but still could have been a red.

Butland HAS to push the original shot on their second goal away from the goal. Great penalty save but this error and his kicking were a let down today.

Yeah, I thought although the save wasn't comfortable it was one you'd expect to see saved. I don't think expecting him to push it away would be too much to ask. And judging by his reaction he took some of the blame himself.

That kick to Forsyth didn't work once so I'm not sure why he insisted on doing it.

After the 5th time I thought he might start thinking about looking for Martin and then us trying to win the second ball. But nope, Forsyth again.

He made one brilliant catch. Couple of good saves. Few more nice catches. But ultimately even Butland can't come out that game pleased with his performance

Thought we, the crowd, didn't do our part either yesterday. Atmosphere was turd.

Was gonna post about this exact same thing. By no means are we the best support in the league anyway, but I think that yesterday we were a classic example of "sing when we're winning". No voice at all as soon as they equalised which there is no excuse for. We should be cheering them on whether we are 5-0 up or 3-0 down. At the end of the day we're there to support our team. not just to watch us win.

Worse than the quiet was the constant moaning, all the time, even at 0-0, it was like we were bottom of the league or something. "Get rid", "play it forward", "what did you hoof it like that for"

People seem to think it's dead easy to turn up, play teams off the park, win by a cricket score and  home.

Does my bloody head in. 

We haven't played that well lately but have managed to keep clean sheets. Yesterday the mistakes were seized upon. It's one defeat, that's all. We all know Martin needs it in to his feet and it's up to the rest of the team to get it there. It's also true to say we play two wingers. They try things and sometimes they don't work. This makes these players 'luxury' players and it can put pressure on the rest. However, over the season they will create the chances which win games.

My only real worry is that Derby don't see themselves as top of the league material and that they might be more comfortable in second or third. Sometimes that self belief can be hard to instill.

Anyway, onwards and upwards!

Butland HAS to push the original shot on their second goal away from the goal. Great penalty save but this error and his kicking were a let down today.

Couldn't agree more.I was always told you use both hands in this kind of situation only if you're sure you can catch the thing,otherwise you inevitably spoon it out into danger.If he'd gone with the one hand it would have been pushed out to the side,away from danger.

When I first started watching (and for many years thereafter) there was an embarrasment of riches on the England goalkeeping front.They all did the basics well,but I have to say that the subsequent influx of foreign coaches led to a matching arrival of foreign keepers,with their bad habits (not all of course,there've been some good ones).It seems to me that our English keepers have copied certain elements of their styles.

Rosler has our number. Wigan played exactly the same way as when they turned us over last season and it's worrying how we struggle to combat their tactics.

Essentially Wigan stopped us trying to play, that's nothing new. Every team that comes to Pride Park does that. Where Wigan differ is how high up the field they press us. Most teams sit in their own half, content for us to have possession as long as we're not in or approaching any danger areas. Wigan press right up on our centre backs and stop us passing out from the back. Today this was especially devastating as Butland's distribution is nowhere near as good as Grant's.

Whitbred must improve his passing. He can't function in this team if he's only confident enough to pass to Keogh and his goalkeeper.

Eustace was our best player for me. He broke up numerous Wigan attacks with well timed challenges and popped up with a goal.

Well done to Dawkins too, who was the catalyst for and main threat during our only period of dominance in the game for 20 minutes after half time.

Wigan stopped us playing by playing better than us.

We were the masters of our own downfall. If we could have kept the ball then we'd have been fine. 

Usually, I agree that teams look to 'do a job' on us, Wigan didn't. They just played better. I think that's what hurts the most regarding this result. 

Just to clarify, I'm not excusing our poor performance or trying to claim that Wigan weren't better than us. I've never seen a team push as far up on our centre backs as Wigan did and it's unarguable that this caused us huge problems. It's impossible to keep the ball if you lose possession from most of your own goal kicks. Our reaction to this was poor, aiming for Forsyth constantly during the second half because he managed to win two headers in the first was a mistake and I can't believe we persisted with it.

Archived