Derby County v Wigan Athletic

PrivateDerby

Poor performance all round today, Ibe needs to learn where to run, better to do that as a sub for now.

Whitbread hopeless at virtually everything today, gave ball away for their first, compounded the error by then getting caught 2yds wrongside of his man, turned his back for the second too, bring Bucko back.

Russell good, Dawks too for 1st 15 mins of second half, got what we deserved, 2nd poor performance in a row at home, just not creating enough.

Hopefully just a temporary lull, like we experienced in January, least our away form is good.

Havent seen us play well at home in ages. Defo need Bucko back and cant see the point in Leon Best.

Dunno what was wrong with Hughes she played too deep.And Butland's kicking was terrible. 

Although Wigan deserved the win, I didnt think the ref deserved to be on the winning side. He had another shocker.

Still at least Dawkins is back.

• Replies 213
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I really hope that is a blip but to be realistic and honest I'm unsure how we have managed to be top. Most of the last few games we have not taken them by the scruff of the neck and imposed ourselves.

Yep, but when neither of the centre halfs posess a pass between them the ptessure is on the keeper to do it.

I think it's time to unleash Bucko, Whitbread is normally excellent at defending but when it comes to distribution, you're right, he's crap. Not a patch on Bucko.

Past few home games, the performances have been getting worse and worse. Hope that's us bottoming out.

It can't get much worse than that - we really were diabolical today.

I agree,we haven't been good at home so far this season. Teams are doing their homework and nullifying us. Ipswich, Cardiff, Millwall & Wigan - 9 points dropped.

We need an answer, and fast.

But of course, can't blame the loss on the ref, we were pretty poor. Wigan were very open and attacking and if we were at our best, I think they were there for the taking at the back on the counter. Unfortunately we weren't up to it today so their attacking game ran all over us.

Bournemouth and Millwall came to Derby to stifle us, and we expected the same from Wigan. Imagine the players' surprise when Wigan actually came at us and played for the win. We were utterly unprepared for it.

Terrible performance, as everyone has mentioned. It was hard to watch from the 1st minute to the 85th when I left.

Butland - 6 - great first half keeping made up for bad kicking. Second half, both goals were preventable. 

Christie - 5 - Didn't stop the crosses, looked like he was playing on a tranquilliser - he was very subdued.

Keogh - 5 - Bad game, no hiding away from it. Not quite as bad as his partner in crime.

Whitbread - 4 - I'm being generous with that four, he was absolutely shocking.  

Forysth - 5 - Again, I feel like I'm being generous. Poor.

Eustace - 6 - Scored the goal, apart from that made very little contribution to us having possession. He lost the ball countless times. Big come down, especially after Omar's performance v Blackpool. 

Bryson - 5 - Ran alot, but was very sloppy. 

Hughes - 4 - So off the pace today. He gave the ball away far too much. 

Ibe - 4 - Being generous. He offered nothing. Lost the ball countless times.

Russell - 6 MOTM - Average, and with that he was our best player. Great ball for our goal.

Martin - 5 - Nearly scored towards the end. Was given little or nothing by the ref that clearly had him pegged. Wigan played on that and wrestled him to the floor a few times in the first half. Arguably should have been given a penalty in the first half, his marker couldn't have pulled him much more. 

Dawkins - 6 - Offered more than Ibe. 

Hendrick - 6 - Offered more than Hughes.

Best - 5 - Offered nothing.

Team performance average: 5.21 (our worst of the season)

Bottom three:

Wigan (H) - 2-1 loss - 5.21 rating

Millwall (H) - 0-0 draw - 5.57 rating

Charlton (A) - 3-2 loss - 5.64 rating

You'll see our worst two performances of the season have come in the last two home games. A very, very bad month in terms of performances.

I can't but feel that the longer we play the likes of Whitbread and Shotton - both have been poor - over Buxton, the longer we're shooting ourselves in the foot. 

Blackpool could have easily had two, Reading could have had two or three... and Wigan have scored twice. 

As ever a good analysis. Think Keogh maybe merited a 6, but it's arguable and he could easily have been sent off near the end. Tough to see how Butland could have saved their first one, but perhaps I need to see it again. But a clear howler for the second, after which everything seemed to happen in slow motion. Thought Bryson should have got back quicker to clear off the line.

Whitbread's had two poor performances in a row. Shotton was sick. I think it's interesting what you say about bringing Bucko back and maybe he'll get an hour on Tuesday. Ibe looks as if he may end up being better used as an impact sub. Sure Mascarell will play Tuesday. Interestingly, Eustace didn't pick up the expected booking as he was brought off beforehand, which means he's still a yellow away from a suspension and another start for Omar.

There's no room for sentiment in this game and I think it looks pointless persevering with Best. It's becoming a Sammon scenario when we have to bring him on, simply because he's apparently the senior pro on the substitutes' bench. Can we get rid? From the options there, I'd have gone with either Mascarell or Calero today. With Thomas in the England U20s and Ward (badly missed today) out injured, I'd like to see Kwarme get a few chances.

I'm sure we'll recover, but it was a deflating match.

Rosler has our number. Wigan played exactly the same way as when they turned us over last season and it's worrying how we struggle to combat their tactics.

Essentially Wigan stopped us trying to play, that's nothing new. Every team that comes to Pride Park does that. Where Wigan differ is how high up the field they press us. Most teams sit in their own half, content for us to have possession as long as we're not in or approaching any danger areas. Wigan press right up on our centre backs and stop us passing out from the back. Today this was especially devastating as Butland's distribution is nowhere near as good as Grant's.

Whitbred must improve his passing. He can't function in this team if he's only confident enough to pass to Keogh and his goalkeeper.

Eustace was our best player for me. He broke up numerous Wigan attacks with well timed challenges and popped up with a goal.

Well done to Dawkins too, who was the catalyst for and main threat during our only period of dominance in the game for 20 minutes after half time.

I disagree. I thought they stifled us, kicked us and strangled the life out of us in Jan and nicked it on the break. Today they just outplayed us and thoroughly deserved the win.

The ref was consistent. He was equally inept for both teams. Free kick at the end, he got the wall back no more than 7 yards. Chris Martins foul toward the end of the first half was in their half and they took the free kick ten yards inside there half. Their peno was very harsh - how could he get out of the way? Stopping the game for injuries that weren't not making players leave the pitch.

The mans a **** and I would cheerfully euthanise the ****** for the good of mankind. Stick that in the capital punishment thread.

Archived