Paul Coutts returning to action

AmericanRam

For me Paul Coutts is an excellent probing midfielder who only rarely gives the ball away. A very useful squad member.  Will not start as first choice until he has had a chance to show what he can do in training or as a sub. We wait to see how good he can be. Almost like a new signing, as has been said he did very well playing out of position for Nigel.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People saying Coutts is an attacking midfielder... He played in a 4-4-2 system at preston in centre mid box to box... He WAS a centre midfielder but clough did what he did best... Played players out of position - dont get me wrong coutts and brayford was brilliant to watch but Coutts was a centre midfielder so saying he could be a option for a CDM is not a bad shout... When Clough signed him he stated that Coutts liked a tackle.... then stuck him on the wing lol

I think the closest player in our squad to compare Coutts to is Hendrick, definitely dont think he would work in defensive midfield

This. Better passer and dribbler, less of a goal threat.

I'll never forget his run against Watford the season before last, weaving through two players, shifting it from right to left to right again, out-muscling another before squaring it to Ward. As good a blend of power, technique and vision as you'll see in this league.

Top player.

it's great news to have him back. he was one of our most consistent players before his injury, played out of position before for us aswel. i could see McClaren getting alot from him. he's not that old either is he? and he used to work on the oil rigs off the coast of scotland. he knows what its like to work in a normal job. i like him. glad he's back 

This. Better passer and dribbler, less of a goal threat.

I'll never forget his run against Watford the season before last, weaving through two players, shifting it from right to left to right again, out-muscling another before squaring it to Ward. As good a blend of power, technique and vision as you'll see in this league.

Top player.

You mean something like this?

Coutts is an attacking midfielder.

Eustace is a defensive midfielder.

So what is Thorne? More of a holding midfielder I would say than defensive. Still think Coutts if fit could play instead of Eustace in say the home games, give him a rest.                 

You beat me to it with that goal he scored. Like others have said he's a centre mid always has been but played out of position (Bit like Best is doing now for us).

When played in the middle I'm sure he'll have more of a better effect.

If he stays fit who knows what the lad could offer, we havent seen enough to know :(

But dont forget he can do this too ... (it also demonstrates why Martin is best in the middle on corners, and Ward shouldnt be allowed near a dead ball lol

McClaren always gives an honest realistic account of every game in his post match analysis. I am certain that he talks straight to every player and makes it clear what is required and whether they have a future with the Rams. Every player that cannot cut it will be moved on and someone will be brought in to the squad or U21s in his place. As the rams as a club increase in stature, the desire to borrow their younger players will increase. Chelsea loaned out 29 players last year. Derby should turn into a major loaning out club in about two years at this rate.

Archived