Derby County v Millwall

PrivateDerby

Eustace was one of the better players today I thought, his passing actually seems to have got more expansive in the last few games and felt he was actually the best midfielder today for the time he was on. Surprised some are saying he was poor, I thought he was very good.

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Eustace was one of the better players today I thought, his passing actually seems to have got more expansive in the last few games and felt he was actually the best midfielder today for the time he was on. Surprised some are saying he was poor, I thought he was very good.

We had a discussion at HT and Eusty was mentioned as man of the match so far. Out of 5 of us, it was 3 for Hughsey, 2 for Eusty so your not alone!

Is this a joke - seriously?

Make the correct runs - at each corner there is usually around 15 of the 22 players on the field congested into the box. What simple cross and runs are you referring to?

Look at our players. Ward, Bryson, Hendrick, Hughes, Martin, Russell etc. are all midgets in comparison to some of the 6ft 3inch cloggers that we face every week and even our defenders Keogh, Forsyth and Christie are not the tallest.

They once asked Xavi why Barcelona rarely score from corners. He said: "Are you serious? We're all around 5ft 7 so we're not going to out-jump those that are over 6ft"

Seriously - what do you expect?

No you are right. All of our players are midgets and every opposition we face has 11 men that are all 6 ft 3...While the best technique for corners is hit and hope. Positioning, timing, delivery... none of that matters for corners. 

Yes that is correct. Because his lack of positional sense cost us a shed load of goals today...as it has done in the last four games, and an unbeaten run since he was reintroduced to the side.

What the f*ck are you talking about? If you can't see Eutace's value to this team you are blind to the game of football. Ask any of his team mates if they think he should be dropped...the answer will be a resounding no from every man-jack of them.

Oh ... but Mascarell probably has better stats on Champ Manager or something ... ?

Behave.

LOL. Oh dear. You want to read back what you quoted from me. Then read your comment. Anyone who has seen the matches is aware that during the last 4 of them Eustace has been completely anonymous. As others have highlighted Eustace is not suited to home fixtures. Teams come here to play for a draw. They sit back with one up top. They rely on counter attacks and set pieces. Eustace is useless with counter attacks. So why is he playing? In matches where we don't need him. Omar is much more suited in the home fixtures as he is mobile and passes the ball around. From what we have seen of him, he is as good at defending and tackling as Eustace. The difference being he is physically smaller and not as strong and also due to his flare as a holding midfielder will be prone to losing the ball on the edge of our box. 

Eustace should be starting in those difficult away matches and coming on as a sub to see games out at home and in the other away fixtures. But something something champ manager right? 

I would blame the attacking players in the team for not scoring, not Eustace who is a defensive midfielder, and part of a team who has not conceded for ages, yet folk saying he is shot, nonsensical.

Out of the attacking players and defensive players our attacking players were not terrible because we drew 0-0. Come on. They came here for that result. They setup a defensive formation, not attacking. Our defenders did not have much to do defensively. Your point about Eustace is right. He made two forward long passes that were great. I was shocked. Eustace never usually makes a forward pass. One of my greatest criticisms of him. The pass is often on for him to play it forward. But it is almost always back or sideways. 

LOL. Oh dear. You want to read back what you quoted from me. Then read your comment. Anyone who has seen the matches is aware that during the last 4 of them Eustace has been completely anonymous. As others have highlighted Eustace is not suited to home fixtures. Teams come here to play for a draw. They sit back with one up top. They rely on counter attacks and set pieces. Eustace is useless with counter attacks. So why is he playing? In matches where we don't need him. Omar is much more suited in the home fixtures as he is mobile and passes the ball around. From what we have seen of him, he is as good at defending and tackling as Eustace. The difference being he is physically smaller and not as strong and also due to his flare as a holding midfielder will be prone to losing the ball on the edge of our box. 

Eustace should be starting in those difficult away matches and coming on as a sub to see games out at home and in the other away fixtures. But something something champ manager right? 

You ain't got a clue mate. Go home. Do you even know how to lace a pair of boots up properly?

I certainly don't think Mascarell is as good a tackler as Eustace from what I've seen but he can spread it around, mostly from deep, but happy to see him in a home game sometime in the league to see what he can do. I agree he played ok in the cup against Reading Reserves but actually feel Eustace has been playing really well too, for some reason others don't agree though lol. Also bring back Dawkins quick, we could have done with him today.

Re the booing I didn't hear it but assume it was at the ref not the players like others stated earlier in the thread.

I certainly don't think Mascarell is as good a tackler as Eustace from what I've seen but he can spread it around, mostly from deep, but happy to see him in a home game sometime in the league to see what he can do. I agree he played ok in the cup against Reading Reserves but actually feel Eustace has been playing really well too, for some reason others don't agree though lol.

Quite right ... Mascarell did well in the cup against Reading's SECOND STRING. He was bound to dominate, he is of classy stock, but clearly is still learning the position. We cannot trust him yet in key games...his decision making isn't quite there yet. One swallow doesn't make a summer.

I get so annoyed with people digging Eustace out ... all because he isn't the all singing, all dancing, bells and whistles tricks and flicks player that SKY Sports have you convinced we need ... if you can't see that Eustace does a fantastic job, and haven't the foggiest idea about this game.

You ain't got a clue mate. Go home. Do you even know how to lace a pair of boots up properly?

Mature response. Anyone you disagree with is clueless about football. What a load of crap that is pal. Every player deserves criticism. Every player deserves praise. No doubt Eustace is needed while Thorne is out. But is that every game...no. Same for Omar. 

Mature response. Anyone you disagree with is clueless about football. What a load of crap that is pal. Every player deserves criticism. Every player deserves praise. No doubt Eustace is needed while Thorne is out. But is that every game...no. Same for Omar. 

One point behind the league leaders having barely broken a sweat. Unbeaten with Eustace in the side.

I reiterate. Ask his team mates whether Eustace should or shouldn't be in the side. When Mascarell proves to the manager that he deserves the shirt, he will wear it. Dead simple.

Sack the board, sack the manager, overhaul the squad. Bring back Phil Brown.

Those that criticise our lack of chances from corners are ******.

What do you expect? We're not Ipswich, a team full of cloggers.

Each team has their methods of scoring goals, and ours simply isn't heading - it hasn't been this case for the past 15 months. 

Ask yourselves this. Would you trade us scoring a shed loads of goals by playing good football for less goals overall but more from set pieces? Do you realise we are one of the league's top goalscorers this season? How many have been headers? Yep that's right, a big fat ZERO.

Some people are simply ******. Probably the same people who criticised Barca's all-conquering side because they lacked a threat at set pieces and shipped a few at the other end.

Bris, 

Huh? Its certainly fair to expect some success from set pieces, especially corners and free kicks. Having good set pieces is not a mutually exclusive category from being a great footballing team. Consider Holland of the 70s. Cruyff, Neeskins, Rep, Rensenbrink, but they were money on set pieces, long range shots, penalties and corners, you name it. I am sure there are numerous examples, and probably more 'footballing' sides have great set pieces then don't have good set pieces. 

I would venture to guess that if McClaren himself read what you wrote there, he'd stand accused as one of your "******" as I am sure he's not happy with the results of set pieces. Executing at set plays is a critical part of any team, be they good or bad in their general play. 

I thought Keough and Whitbread weren't given enough options by our midfield today. The passing round the back was too slow in first half but when they speeded it up in second half, I thought Hughes and Bryson were too far away.

Defensively though, Whitbread made 2-3 great blocks when they were in good positions. Did anyone see Ibe push their player at back post in the first half? Was probably hard to spot from most places in the ground, but I thought it was a pen.

We were great for first 3 minutes and Ward should have done better with those two chances. It was hard to build pressure towards the end as our corners were such non-events. We were so short of ideas that on one of our last ones, Russell came short and his attempted cross was closed down before it had gone more than a yard.

We weren't quite on it today but things are going well in general. They were much better than I expected. Liked their tall left back. Kept Christie quiet and looked dangerous going forward.

I thought Keough and Whitbread weren't given enough options by our midfield today. The passing round the back was too slow in first half but when they speeded it up in second half, I thought Hughes and Bryson were too far away.

Defensively though, Whitbread made 2-3 great blocks when they were in good positions. Did anyone see Ibe push their player at back post in the first half? Was probably hard to spot from most places in the ground, but I thought it was a pen.

We were great for first 3 minutes and Ward should have done better with those two chances. It was hard to build pressure towards the end as our corners were such non-events. We were so short of ideas that on one of our last ones, Russell came short and his attempted cross was closed down before it had gone more than a yard.

We weren't quite on it today but things are going well in general. They were much better than I expected. Liked their tall left back. Kept Christie quiet and looked dangerous going forward.

Pretty much what I would have wrote about the game too.

Could not remember who had done the push but it was a stonewall penalty and we definitely dodged a bullet there.

it is Eustace's job when in possession to be available and start the attacks as a pivot.

Can someone explained this new fangled 'pivot' position? Apparently Martin is our pivot but now so is Eustace. It's a bit like reading the bleacher report on here at the minute with it's 'midfield shuttlers'. Is this your doing American Ram?

For goodness sake. We drew at home..................big deal. Yet again we descend into who's individual fault it was we didn't win. This is reality not football manager. Listen to SM. He said we were not at our best in the final third and our wingers (collective) were off it today.

What is it now? something like 8 defeats in 47 games since Mac has been here? come on give some slack and show some maturity.

Archived