Derby County v Millwall

PrivateDerby

• Replies 281
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pity Bris has banned headed goals,apparently they don't count the same as tap-ins

and shots.Speaking as a moron I enjoy powerful headed goals.

I would have liked to see us get a couple yesterday even if Bris wouldn't.

I would love to know what our conversation rate for corners. Screw it. Set pieces in general is. 1 in 100? Am I being optimistic? Probably. 

I would love to know what our conversation rate for corners. Screw it. Set pieces in general is. 1 in 100? Am I being optimistic? Probably. 

Can't think of any this season apart from Carlisle away.

Certainly would be a big help if we could nick a few from deadballs like most teams do, definitely one of the factors that is holding us back slightly.

If there was a deadball conversion league table, reckon we would be very much towards the bottom of it.

Anyhow we have won 3 and drawn 3 at home, looking at last seasons promotion teams Leicester won 17 and Burnley 15 out of their 23 home games, the previous season Cardiff 15 and Hull 13 so hopefully we can step up the win ratio slightly on home soil, getting an early goal or two would help (something we have lacked so far apart from against Ipswich, when strangely we didn't push on).

I think I saw Whitbread pass to Forsyth (who was playing as an out-and-out winger after Ibe went off) at least 10 times in the second half yesterday. Every single time he received the ball, if Forsyth was open, he played it to him. Millwall soon got wise to that and their right-sided midfielder pushed wider to try to close Forsyth down. So we would get the triangle between Whitbread, Forsyth and Eustace as they tried to pull Millwall across to our right, thus opening up the ball to Forsyth, either from Whitbread or the long ball from Keogh.

Unfortunately, Forsyth's crossing yesterday left a lot to be desired. There were probably two decent crosses by Derby in the entire match - one from Ibe in the first half, and one from Russell in the second.

Ok that's fine - this is in no way meant to be an assisination of Whitbread - I'm in the east stand not far from the north stand penalty area so was thinking more of the first half; if you say he was passing to Forsyth loads in the second it was clearly pointed out to him at half time, because he wasn't doing it at all in the first and loads around me were geting frustrated as it was slowing us down.

Other than not winning it was good weekend IMO. It is clear there are no stand out teams in this division, and therefore over a 46 game season I remain very confident that with the squad we have, and the consistent well drilled way we play, we will finish in the top 2. Not much point dwelling on one game, but For the record I thought only Keogh had a strong game, and that Ibe showed enough to know that he will make a real difference as the season goes on. Eustace played well, and is a good player, but for me he shouldn't have started yesterday. Speaking to a Millwall fan before the match it was clear they had little to nil attacking threat. Mascarell I think should have been given a chance yesterday as he would have provided a more attacking threat, and someone else for the Millwall midfield to worry about not just Will. I thought Millwall played well, and they didn't park the bus. They competed well, and were good enough on the day as too many of our team were below par. We lacked intensity, and I do feel we should have been a bit more gung-ho second half. Not hoofing, but moving the ball more sharply, less predictably. Just a view regarding set pieces. We have been woeful for a long time and the same suspects keep taking them. Given what our qualities are, I find it bizarre we keep pumping the ball into the middle just hoping really, when what we should be doing 'Barcelona' style is to retain the ball, taking short corners, etc. Working those triangles in and around the box to create the goalscoring opportunity, or to win a penalty/free kick to have a shot at goal. I will be at Reading, and hopefully with a full squad to pick from, many of whom will be well rested, we will be playing with more ambition and intensity. The Reading game is a Eustace game, but please Steve try Omar again v Blackpool and Fulham.

I should have said only 4 points separate the top 10 clubs.

Not a great surprise after only 11 games.

This myth that it's going to be a tight league after just 11 games gone is abit daft. It's basic maths, obviously it's going to be tight after eight games. Nobody is going to have an eight point lead or something at this stage.

It's like those that feel that the league is on for record high points too because half the league are amlost averaging two points per game - again, not hard after 11 games.

When you look at the reverse side and see Bolton with just five points, you wouldn't assume they're going to finish on only 20 or so at the end of the season.

Actually after 11 games there's only 2 points between the top 8 clubs,can't remember

it this tight before after all it's nearlya quarter of the season gone.

There are no stand out teams and hardly any rubbish,either.The teams who are

consistant will be the main contenders,but it will probably go down to the wire,hope

we are there.

Actually after 11 games there's only 2 points between the top 8 clubs,can't remember

it this tight before after all it's nearlya quarter of the season gone.

There are no stand out teams and hardly any rubbish,either.The teams who are

consistant will be the main contenders,but it will probably go down to the wire,hope

we are there.

best squads and a bit of luck on avoiding injuries will be important.  there are a few that will fall away because of that alone.  

• 2 weeks later...

Archived