Is the buzz back early

South Derbyshire Ram

After Christmas last year I think everybody knew something special was happening and there was a buzz about the place. I was very optimistic for this season, but the buzz wasn't there. The results haven't been bad,  but it just didn't feel quite right. The last 3 games and word that Thorne may be back a bit earlier and I feel the buzz again or is it my tinnitus playing up.

how everybody else feeling at the moment?

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the difference is confidence. Watched the Brighton play off goals back over the weekend and they were overloaded with confidence and belief back then. It appears to be coming back. Very excited to see what happens over the next few games, would love to see a sneaky clamber up the table by a few spots. Be a bonus if we passed the Gumps on their way back down too :)

I think the difference is confidence. Watched the Brighton play off goals back over the weekend and they were overloaded with confidence and belief back then. It appears to be coming back. Very excited to see what happens over the next few games, would love to see a sneaky clamber up the table by a few spots. Be a bonus if we passed the Gumps on their way back down too :)

Spot on. 

No doubt the Play-Off final loss will have put a huge dent in the players morale and confidence. When people refer to the 'Play-Off Hangover', it's often because the players have lost self belief and I think we suffered from that a bit at the start.

The more good performances we put in and the more results we get, the players' self belief comes back and our performances will only improve further.

I think it will only grow as the season progresses. Need to remember Mac wasn't here for the start last term, but we're already picking up a healthy points ratio whilst the performances steadily improve.

Big things to come!

Derby were 14th at this stage last season.

after 9 league games.

Interstingly wigan and brighton were also mid table /lower half. who also made the play offs.

Its virtually a year to the day that Mcclaren and his staff came in.

I've been proper buzzing since Blackburn. That game really felt like our wake up. Since then we've been so much more aggressive and played so much quicker for the large majority of matches.

That kid running circles around your midfield and making your "experienced" players look like pub CB's? He's 19. With 100 appearances. He's decided to stop toying with you now.

Oh, our two wingers are struggling to create? Here, here's two more we've got that are every bit as capable. Try those.

Yes, that is our CB on the edge of the area setting up our RB to gain an assist for our striker.

Our big summer signing? Nah, not used him yet.

Last year Sammon was the club donkey. This year it's Leon Best. Yes, Leon Best. Not bad eh?

Oh so you've seen Ryan Shotton quite a bit have you? Yeah. We keep him on the bench. Back up innit.

The bad news is our LB isn't quite the massive threat he was last season when he had 4 or more 1v1's and several sitters to go with his impressive assists.

The good news is he's still a class act and we've sort of took his DNA and mixed it with Andre Wisdom to make a RB. Sorry about that. Good luck though yeah?

Don't get too down. We are beatable when we're not at our best. We can be disrupted. It's just... well, when we're losing we just sort of throw on like 8 forwards and don't give up until the referee has took the ball off us.

I havent quite seen enough yet.

But I still be confident we are top 4 for the season,

Our squad is just too big and strong in terms of numbers and quality.

If we can improve, and be more clinical, then yes we can win this league. But for the moment our lack of directness at home may still be our indoing. Its hard to walk it in when every team puts 11 behind the ball at the IPro.

We have had 4 league home games, and only 1 did we deserve to win.

I think the next 2 home games, and indeed the next month with no real tough games on paper will decide if we are the real deal or not.

How many managers now fancy playing Derby County home or away? The small teams will think it is great coming here but do not expect to win. the middle of the range sides are hoping for draws and the big teams are hoping to avoid defeat whilst fancying their chances at home. Personally, I think that Derby are back in the groove and frankly do not expect to play for anything less than a win. if opposing managers watch the video of the recent Derby matches as part of their pre-game planning they could be forgiven for scratching their heads and not showing too much of the highlights .What advice would you give to someone trying to mark Christie, Martin or Hughes, never mind Ibe? If you plug one hole with double marking you will leave a gap that others will exploit easily. Spoiling tactics look to be the favourite. If you do manage to get the better of a Derby player, his able replacement will be coming to hunt you down. Steve McClaren said today on Sky that he is still looking for other players through the loan system. if you managed a Premier league starlet where would you send him on loan to improve him? I would send him to the Genius with the Brolly.

Archived