Jake Buxton - Hero AND Legend

uttoxram75

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So Bucko will be Derby legend after guiding as to Europe first as a player and next as a manager.

Would take that any day of the week.

You are correct of course ... great coaches can turned limited players into good pyayers ... we won the league because of the best in the business at doing just that...and of course, you don't have to have been a great or good player - sometimes, that can be a hindrance because you don't understand players' limitations.

Look at Souness ... one of the greats in british football as a player ... all but failed as a manager because he was ostensibly too hard on his teams. Many have gone the same way.

Stevie Mac, coaching wise, is extremely astute - one of the best in the modern game... Bucko will have a lot to thank him for by the time his career is winding down.

Just to add.. If Nile Ranger knows more than me about the beautiful game, I'm done. 

Football is a game of opinion, and I do accept some read the game better than others. My earlier example with regards to centre-backs still stands, Buxton - out of all them defenders - had the least amount of tackles but the highest rate of interceptions. 

Now, if I was a Premier League manager or whatever, I would look at defenders who intercepted more than they tackled - especially centre-backs. However, in some fans eyes, a defender isn't doing his job unless he's clearing one off the line with his left *******. 

I'm not saying I'm some sort of football guru and my word is gospel - although it is - but in the graphic designer analogy you mentioned the bright loud colours bringing amateurs in, however, the more knowledgeable see it for what it is - bright, loud colours.

I don't think there could be a more appropriate analogy for my point, Buxton rarely has to go in to the tackle because he's read the game before they've had the chance. Keogh, on the other hand, isn't as strong defensively as Buxton but makes up for it in being able to cover. The partnership works well because they compliment each other. 

Fans do tend to get blinded though, me included, that's why I always look at the numbers after the game. I've already had my opinions on the game conceptually but I make sure I'm heading down the right path. An example of this was against Rotherham, I came out the game thinking 'Keogh looked piss weak in the air today, allowed his man to out jump him far too many times' and when I looked to my surprise, he was joint with Buxton and Forsyth for aerial duals won - HOWEVER, he had lost more 'battles' than he'd won that game - he'd won 4 out of 9 (btw)

Someone, on the other hand, may see him win those aerial battles and think he's looked dominant today - hardly beaten in the air. Things like that is why I am happy to see if my conceptional thoughts match up with the evidence. Sometimes it hasn't, in fact, with Johnny Russell and Craig Forsyth it doesn't a lot of the time.  

Interested to hear your opinion of Stevie Mac Daz......i can't fault anything he's done so far at Derby but i have misgivings from his England days when he spoke of the players as "Stevie G, Lamps" etc. I don't like that as it smacks of a manager wanting to be popular. 

If you want to be liked you'll never be a good manager. Alf Ramsay is the only successful England manager of my lifetime yet he was intensely disliked in some quarters.

Interested to hear your opinion of Stevie Mac Daz......i can't fault anything he's done so far at Derby but i have misgivings from his England days when he spoke of the players as "Stevie G, Lamps" etc. I don't like that as it smacks of a manager wanting to be popular.

If you want to be liked you'll never be a good manager. Alf Ramsay is the only successful England manager of my lifetime yet he was intensely disliked in some quarters.

I agree.I think Klinsmann is doing good things for the U.S.....but tbh I dont like him that much.

I'm sure I've heard him mention 'Fozzy' and 'Bucko' in interviews. Not sure if it smacks of desperation, he just works with players on that kind of level. And in my two examples, we've seen dramatic improvements from both.

Well I see it completely differently.

For a start, nobody actually believes Bucko is international class and sometimes on these Bucko threads we see a complete sense of humour failure. Beside....why can't we have a cult hero?

As for Bucko's playing style, well his pace is his limitation for me, or more specifically, his turn of pace. It's not a problem at this level for precisely the opposite of what you've criticised him for. He reads the game brilliantly, and intercepts more than he tackles.

Using the ball properly? He is the most accurate long passer in our defence, and he's one of the best distributors of the ball that I have seen in the time I've supported Derby. I'm not sure how many more Hollywood balls he has to play out of defence, for how many consecutive seasons he has to have one of the best passing accuracies of any defender in the league, before this trait is universally recognised.

It's all opinions I guess, but when his "passion and grit" are seen as his main traits, I think that's an insult to his ability and maybe says that we are partially blinded by where he's come from. There is SO much more to Jake Buxton than that, and the statistics and the opinion of respected coaches back that up.

IMO if Jake had pace he would be playing in the prem.

I too criticised Mac at the time for getting too cosy with the England players. The thing with that was, that he had spent a very long time as number two to Erikson, was thrown into the job as a cheaper option, and didn't really evolve his man management style from that of a coach, who, naturally is closer on a personal level to the players than the manager.

If you remember - when Roy Mac took over from Cox at Derby ... he suffered exactly the same problem.

I remember reading in Paul McGrath's autobiography that when he was coach at Derby under Smith ... 'the players devoured him' I read it just around the time Mac was appointed England manager and i feared the worst...and yes, he was guilty of being far too 'pally'. Perhaps a tad over awed.

His England experience was bitter ... he will have learned from it.

His coaching skills are exemplary ... and i think his management style seems to be improving. Can't fault him at all thus far.

The guy simply transcends any Darwinian concept of evolution. He didn't so much evolve as spawn from within an interstellar singularity. Designed by aliens, he breathes not oxygen but CO2.

True Story.

Watched him walk into a pub, on his own, in Matlock last year after a home game. He drank two pints of BROWN beer, on his own, read the complimentary paper before leaving, on his own.

How cool!!! GQ man of the year for me. I mean who drinks on their own still in their twenties???

Really made solo drinking cool again. I now feel no shame when I drink solo whilst being well under the accepted solo drinking age of 65.

Pure class. 

Back to the reality .... today's match illustrates perfectly why we need to replace Bucko.

Poor tackler ( without fouling ) , poor distribution ( forget about the occasional good long pass he does, though not today ) , not very quick, and no excuse of injury today. No lack of effort but that ain't enough.

Keogh , however, was excellent!

Back to the reality .... today's match illustrates perfectly why we need to replace Bucko.

Poor tackler ( without fouling ) , poor distribution ( forget about the occasional good long pass he does, though not today ) , not very quick, and no excuse of injury today. No lack of effort but that ain't enough.

"Poor distribution, if you don't count when he distributes it well"

Disagree; disagree; accepted, but think he is rarely hampered by his pace.  Yes, loads of effort and determination, that combined with his good defending and good distribution, makes him one of the best CBs in the division.

He was absolutely rubbish today.... Got the run around all game by asssolomgglllonavavsveouuu and a really pathetic sending off, just like a mardy Sunday league player.

That will be him out for a bit I reckon, shotton or whitbread to replace him.

Tripe.

Archived