Jake Buxton - Hero AND Legend

uttoxram75

True, just going on what I see. I'd say it's the type of game made for defenders to look good. It's very difficult for midfielders/attackers to stand out in a derby game when it's so frenetic and tackles are flying in.

Buxton obviously plays on the character of being the fans representative on the pitch and as such psychs himself up to the point where he can't play normally.

Agree with that about Buxton. I get stressed seeing him Man handle people in big games when he seems extra psyched up. Can't believe he's not given away a penalty yet.

I thought Hughes played well tbh. With Bryson being largely anonymous again he was crowded out and still got us on the ball a lot.

But I don't think there was a very good performance out there. Darlow and Grant had little to do. The service to forwards was mostly poor with exception of your goal and Hughes great ball to put Best in. Both teams just full of niggly little fouls.

A derby to forget

Didn't think the atmosphere was that good either thanks to the boring game

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fan favourite & cult hero maybe, not a legend. Not by a long stretch. That word gets so overused.

As for his performance yesterday? I'd rather he used his brain every now and then, passion is all well and good, but his passion got us down to 10 men and caused pressure for his fellow team mates.

Not since Darren Moore have I seen a defender constantly man handle and grab opposition players, it's only a matter of time before he gets caught.

So many fans will defend him no matter what, and if you say anything critical against him, 9 times out of 10 you are shot down over that view and are "talking rubbish". 

Whitbread has been excellent and our defense has looked more balanced when he's played in Buxton's place. People go on about his injury record but so far he is injury free and playing well. What does he have to do to get a run in the side? it's not like he's playing badly. 

It appears that the likes of Buxton (and Bryson) have their shirt regardless of form. Something I thought we had done away with since the Clough era, apparently not.

Yes Buxton has improved remarkably, but with his absence hopefully the other players fighting for that position will be able to get a decent run, form providing of course.

Feel free to moan now that I've said something negative against "GOD". 

Fan favourite & cult hero maybe, not a legend. Not by a long stretch. That word gets so overused.

As for his performance yesterday? I'd rather he used his brain every now and then, passion is all well and good, but his passion got us down to 10 men and caused pressure for his fellow team mates.

Not since Darren Moore have I seen a defender constantly man handle and grab opposition players, it's only a matter of time before he gets caught.

So many fans will defend him no matter what, and if you say anything critical against him, 9 times out of 10 you are shot down over that view and are "talking rubbish". 

Whitbread has been excellent and our defense has looked more balanced when he's played in Buxton's place. People go on about his injury record but so far he is injury free and playing well. What does he have to do to get a run in the side? it's not like he's playing badly. 

It appears that the likes of Buxton (and Bryson) have their shirt regardless of form. Something I thought we had done away with since the Clough era, apparently not.

Yes Buxton has improved remarkably, but with his absence hopefully the other players fighting for that position will be able to get a decent run, form providing of course.

Feel free to moan now that I've said something negative against "GOD". 

Of course ... I am likely to be in the minority of one who thinks this a fair post.... nebbiex...if you read through the thread you will see that I share the sentiment.

People try to tell me on here that somehow Buxton is this silky, ball playing defender these days ... some kind of 'Kaiser Franz'. 

He showed yesterday that he clearly isn't. Forest pressed us hard, and Buxton panicked on more than one occasion, giving the ball away cheaply in very precarious areas of the park. If we are going to be a top side, we need defenders who can play.

I will vouch all day long for the idea that he is a tough, hard, committed and strong player ... but when it comes to the 'art of defending' ... he is found wanting. He also let us down by losing his rag and getting sent off...that could have been very damaging indeed. Sometimes with Jake, as I have also said ... the little grey cells of matter upstairs get a little too hot and bothered. Lacks composure ultimately.

That is not to say however, that when playing to his strengths, Buxton didn't do very well overall yesterday ... he was part of an exceptional team display of grit, hart, and desire ... just the sort of thing that he relishes. He did well.

Personally, i think Whitbread looks a very useful defender with a little more culture about his game...as is Shotton, clearly a centre half rather than a right back based on yesterday's performance, and both will prove good options given more games.

Thing is though ... if it aint broke...not that much need to fix it. We got a great result, and a pleasing performance in the context of the game. The team spirit is tremendous ... and Jake Buxton is part and parcel of that.

He was dog ***** yesterday.

Not just the wrestling and the stupid tackles but even on the ball he was an awkward panicked donkey.

His passion was his downfall yesterday.

People always say they want passion etc in a derby and players willing to take part in a physical battle.

I'd much rather we just played to our strengths with our best players. Felt sorry for Christie too.

Must admit I had to laugh at one stage in the first half. Buxton had the ball near the dug outs and dallied on it clearly not knowing what to do. Despite being about 10 yards away at first Burke managed to come across and block the attempted hoof.

I thought back to this thread which claimed he could put a ball on someone's toe from 50 yards away and does it regularly and thought how utterly ridiculous that claim was. Hoofer plain and simple.

Physco, he had a stinker yesterday, no doubt about that, but how the hell does a player have stats which say he can play an accurate long pass unless he can? Does every single long ball played by him reach the wrong Derby player or something?

Judging players in Derby games is a waste of time. Ward always plays well against you for example, you haven't had to sit through some of his shockers. Some Forest fans overrate him.

He was dog ***** yesterday.

Not just the wrestling and the stupid tackles but even on the ball he was an awkward panicked donkey.

His passion was his downfall yesterday.

People always say they want passion etc in a derby and players willing to take part in a physical battle.

I'd much rather we just played to our strengths with our best players. Felt sorry for Christie too.

Must admit I had to laugh at one stage in the first half. Buxton had the ball near the dug outs and dallied on it clearly not knowing what to do. Despite being about 10 yards away at first Burke managed to come across and block the attempted hoof.

I thought back to this thread which claimed he could put a ball on someone's toe from 50 yards away and does it regularly and thought how utterly ridiculous that claim was. Hoofer plain and simple.

Both fair posts

Something that Buxton struggles with, is the age old adage of playing the match, rather than the occasion.

If anyone has any doubts about his performance,try to get hold of a recording of the

game.He spent most of the time grabbing players or their shirts.How the ref let it all

go is a mystery,he could have given away several penalties and would have been sent

off.

In fairness he may not be fully fit and was forced to play like that.Such a pity.

If anyone has any doubts about his performance,try to get hold of a recording of the

game.He spent most of the time grabbing players or their shirts.How the ref let it all

go is a mystery,he could have given away several penalties and would have been sent

off.

In fairness he may not be fully fit and was forced to play like that.Such a pity.

I believe the ref let a lot go because Assombalonga was giving as good back.

I meant Buxton, but that response towards Martin is priceless  :lol: We all have our opinions though, whether they're right or wrong. 

If Forest can afford to put a 22-goal Championship striker on the bench then you're doing well. 

Well he certainly wouldn't get in over Assombalonga, that kid is unreal.

Believe the hype ;)

Archived