Jake Buxton - Hero AND Legend

uttoxram75

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stats are concrete proof of facts. Opinions based on I used to be on the books of 3 clubs and condescending suggestions that not understanding the game due to not playing is poor, most people know someone who has played for somebody professionaly or youth level etc and I dont think that gives people the chance to talk down. 

Why am I talking anyone down mate? I am simply stating that I know what the hell I am talking about. 

Have you ever played?...and i don't mean for a pub side.

It is undeniable, that if you have been involved with the game, you have a greater knowledge of the finer points of the game and the mechanics of it. Does someone who has read a book about how to be a Graphic Designer know more about it than someone who has actually done the job for five years?

That is not to say that no-one else is allowed a perfectly valid opinion ... I have never said that have I? That is the beauty of football debate.

If I make a judgement on a player based on what I see out there on the pitch, based on proper experience and knowledge of having been out there myself, I don't give a **** about reading your reams of pointless and boring statistics that can be interpreted in hundreds of different ways. Don't talk to me like i am an idiot or a neanderthal.

What can't be interpreted in hundreds of different ways, are the limitations that the experienced eye can see when Buxton is out there on the pitch. Plain and simple. Buxton would be the FIRST to admit it.

I repeat, and I stress yet again ... I am all FOR Buxton. He is a great asset to our squad...it is credit to the MANAGER and the COACHING staff that he has clearly progressed ... but lets not all get too carried away.

From the outside I'd say Buxton is a typical no-nonsense 'ead it and kick it centre-half, a bit of a throwback to the old days. Clearly limited in ability but makes up for it in heart and determination, which the fans can relate to.

Not unlike our very own Stuart Pearce in his playing days, yet he gets slated on here for being a thick ******* :D

Out of interest, can you name this limitations? I don't see many limitations in him, other than his turn of pace. John Terry doesn't have a turn of pace either, does that mean he is limited? Does limitations mean lacking pace. 

He's as good at football as any other defender in the league that i've seen, he has fantastic footballing ability and keeps the ball as well as any other defender in the division, aside from Keogh. 

All those are miles better than Bucko:

Craig Short

Shaun Barker

Paul Williams

Jason Shackell

Paul Mcgrath

Richrd Keogh

You watch a different game to me. I saw Derby 38 times last season and Buxton was far and away ahead of Keogh. Shackell and Barker on their day were fantastic, but I don't think either was as consistent as Buxton. 

Out of interest, can you name this limitations? I don't see many limitations in him, other than his turn of pace. John Terry doesn't have a turn of pace either, does that mean he is limited? Does limitations mean lacking pace. 

He's as good at football as any other defender in the league that i've seen, he has fantastic footballing ability and keeps the ball as well as any other defender in the division, aside from Keogh. 

Concentration, speed to name 2. You know better than me as you watch him week in week out though and he's clearly not **** as he played all of last season. Think some are getting slightly carried away though, if he was as good as some on here say he is then he'd have been snapped up long ago or at least courted by a top flight team.

For what it's worth, the best defender I have seen at Derby and was old enough to constructively think about football was Leacock during our promotion season. 

He had the makings of a Premier League footballer without question, however, a few games in defensive midfield coupled with injury and a complete loss in confidence made him slump into a League One footballer. It was a huge shame, and now people will remember his last two seasons with us, rather than his first. 

The nail in the coffin was the decision to play him right-back, despite not having played there in 3/4 years, at Forest and Brayford at centre-back. I liked Clough a lot, but that was one of the most bizarre decisions in his time here - along with Moxey up top.

Concentration, speed to name 2. You know better than me as you watch him week in week out though and he's clearly not **** as he played all of last season. Think some are getting slightly carried away though, if he was as good as some on here say he is then he'd have been snapped up long ago or at least courted by a top flight team.

Concentration is one of his strongest assets. For me, concentration correlates purely to interceptions - the one thing we've established is something he holds higher than other top defenders in the league - even yours.

In fact, don't take my word for it.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/7943

As I say ... have been totally spoiled during my time as a Derby fan in terms of centre halves ... 

Stimac, Wright, McGrath.

All absolute legends of the game and I was privileged to see them ply their trade at close quarters at the Baseball Ground.

The flip side of that coin? ... 

Simon Webster.

Concentration is one of his strongest assets. For me, concentration correlates purely to interceptions - the one thing we've established is something he holds higher than other top defenders in the league - even yours.

In fact, don't take my word for it.

http://www.whoscored.com/Players/7943

Fair enough, like I said I don't watch him week in week out. I only go by highlights on FLS and the occasional game on sky.

Still stand by the point that he would've been snapped up if he was that good though.

Archived