Jake Buxton - Hero AND Legend

uttoxram75

Fair enough, like I said I don't watch him week in week out. I only go by highlights on FLS and the occasional game on sky.

Still stand by the point that he would've been snapped up if he was that good though.

It's one of those things, would you say Chris Martin is a poor player because we picked him up for free? According to Nixon, one of the most reliable people when it comes to transfer dealings, Pearce wanted him at Forest - what do you make of that? 

He was given a 4 year deal* (i think it was 4) in the Summer, and last season he was one of our stand out players with Martin and Bryson. 

I'll never understand those that don't rate him, it's simply an alien concept to me, and most of the time they have nothing to back up their opinion. Some people genuinely never rated John Terry throughout his career, same with Lampard. It doesn't bother me if people rate him or not, I just don't like slanderous comments towards his ability.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Martin would've been an alright signing. He dives too much though.

I'd have him about the same level as Fryatt so if he was here he'd be competing with him to partner Assombalonga (or benched if we went 1 up top).

I meant Buxton, but that response towards Martin is priceless  :lol: We all have our opinions though, whether they're right or wrong. 

If Forest can afford to put a 22-goal Championship striker on the bench then you're doing well. 

We should rename the game of football.

It will now be known as 'Lots of numbers and banal statistics on a screen'.

What was it Pele said?

"Lots of numbers and banal statistics on a screen ... is the beautiful game."

Thats the problem with data analytical people; they believe the world should be run by stats and see everything only in black and white. If it was that easy we wouldnt need sm we would pick the team based on opta stats.

Titus bramble for example would always look good for 88 minutes of the game, but the other 2 would probably result in 1 or 2 goals given away. The stats for him im sure would look great.

Having said that, i do think buxton had proved a lot of people wrong and over the past year has been one of the most consistent defenders in this league....just a shame both our defenders and lb make that one costly error last season :-(

For me we have different brackets of quality defenders as such...

A.

Mark Wright

Igor Stimac

Jake Buxton

Paul Mcgrath

I actually just read your 'A' list again and almost choked myself to death.

To even have Buxton IN that bracket, in that sort of world class company ... let alone, ABOVE someone like McGrath in the perceived pecking order ... is pure nonsense indeed.

Wow.

Was in no particular order, but for me he is in that bracket of player. I do not go to the game to disect every detail of the play, I will not lie, and I am also not a failed professional footballer, I have played amatuer level only. However I stand by my opinion that he is one of the best centre backs to play for our club (that I have seen in the flesh) His marking, ability in the air, reading of the game, passing ability, strength, desire and consistency go way, WAY beyond that of someone like Keogh. As said it is a game of opinions, and that is mine. Lets hope he puts in a blockbusting performance Sunday and we beat the Red Dogs.

Harsh ... I feel like crying, and now need a drink even more. ;-)

Absolutely! Another excuse for a drink. :-D SUPER RAMS

Serious question, who did you play for?

Its an interesting argument you pose, its like saying you cant be a jockey unless you have been a horse.

The graphic designer analogy you gave for example, they are normally engaged by people who cant do the job themselves but can judge the output. So you dont have to be a graphic designer to know if their output is good or not.

Look at who won the 1994 world cup as a manager, and how much football they played at a high level.

having said all that, I do agree with the majority of your posts :-D

The paradox is ... that I now work as a Graphic Designer ... ;-)

I appreciate the point you are making LeedsRam ... so please, if I may try to explain ... and I do not intend to patronise.

Yes you very much DO need to be a Graphic Designer to know if the output is top class or average.

Professionalism, and attention to detail in terms of quality and your working methods matters a great deal. 

The layman will look at something that is out there in the market place, lets say, a pizza flyer, a fairly low rent example ... and think it looks great, full of colour and illustration and flashy type and all that ...

However, top class professionals will tell you, that they are...for the most part, technically, absolutely dreadful in every aspect...hideous...the lowest common denominator, they can be picked apart technically about a million times...generally because they are done in a rush and on a very low budget.

They are the sort of thing you give the junior to do to cut his or her teeth. If you END UP doing that - you have failed miserably...

Layman clients simply don't understand the amount of technique and skill and precision that is involved in top quality work.

They only truly understand what they perceive to be something that 'looks good' in the most basic of terms.

Your average client couldn't tell you the difference between good output and average output...that is a fact of my profession. This is why companies such as Vistaprint are making a fortune out of selling people absolute crap that I wouldn't ever put my own name to. Because they can get away with it.

I have been doing this job for 15 years and run a creative team at one of London's top agencies ... so I know...it is part of my job to educate them as to what good output is.

That is why the very best that work down here alongside me in the big smoke for top agencies and earn top dollar working on high profile campaigns and literature with multi-billion pound multi-nationals. We are trusted with big time communication budgets because we know what the hell we are doing and why we are doing it...we are masters of our craft.

The ones who do bob-a-job, pulpy work such as pizza leaflets and so on, end up working at Pronta print or similar...because their skill set hasn't evolved and matured.

The same principle in any walk of life...and also in football.

I hope that makes sense ... 

If you're remotely interested by the way...many moons ago, i was at Lincoln, Grimsby, Mansfield, and trialled at Notts County.

Failed to shine, and was finished at 21-22 due to bad knees and shoulders ... oh, and for being
too light.

I appreciate that football is an open forum. You don't HAVE to have played at a good level to pick up a smidgen about the game ... but it helps you a great deal. :-)

I enjoy all the debates on here ... as infuriating as they can be sometimes!

I was interested in where you play, its always interesting to know about peoples involvement in football.

I dont agree with you regarding having played at a higher level people will have a better understanding, and thats not saying you have or haven't over any other poster, just imo.

I will take it back about the graphic designer though, maybe a bad example to use given you explanation :-)

Used to play mostly in what we now know as the CDM position ... the 'Eustace' role if you will ... kept it simple, didn't mind a tackle...but in the end, i was always too lightweight.

Would also play out wide right ... had not much pace and not many tricks ... but could find room and cross a ball properly. I'll occasionally turn out for a semi pro outfit down here ... not much though ... at 34-35, am not really fit enough any more... ...  and don;t really have the time!!

Fair play to you mate ... as i say ... football is such a varied game - there are no hard and fast rules i guess!

You know where to come now if you need some businesscards doing though right? ;-)

Mourinho has done decently as a manager and those celebrations he does on his knees proves he hasn't really played fooball. (Hurts even watch that kind of behaviour.) Another good example without proper playing career is Wenger.

You don't have to be ex-pro to have great knowledge, but of course it helps. Especially if you've been coached by strong personalities.

So Bucko will be Derby legend after guiding as to Europe first as a player and next as a manager.

Archived