Sun saying we will get fined if we don't play Ibe enough (from transfer thread)

Day

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If this is true, I'd rather have not signed him, unless of course it's been accounted for and he's been told "that money's written off, you get your place as and when you deserve it"

Selection should be on merit. Don't care how good he is, he should win his place on performance.

Clough would never have accepted a clause like that - for all his failings as a manager, Clough valued work ethic and character in a player and in the squad. It's not like we're struggling for wingers and we're looking at signing another one - it's been well said we need more solid defence. Plus he looked like he was none to happy to be here on that interview.

I still doubt there's any truth in that, but if there is then you have to think of it as just add-ons to a loan. With many transfers you might get a fee when the player plays a certain amount of games, but Liverpool want to make sure their player plays games, so they have done the opposite- a fee for if the player doesn't play a certain amount of games.

The idea that we would intentionally play him to make sure we don't pay extra is much like the idea that you would drop a player when they've played 49 games, because at 50 games you owe his old club

You didnt mention that piece was penned by Alan Nixon in his new column for the sun

Good spot - therefore complete and utter bullshit.

If the clause is there, it's a calculated risk and I don't have the slightest problem with it. Nowadays loans are very different from what they used to be, and most have complex clauses. If Ibe's as good as we hope, there won't be an issue. If he's not, both I and the club will be surprised.

I thought in his interview he looked more scared than unhappy! He's only young, dealing with a sudden change in his living and playing situations, being interviewed by somebody he's just met. Just seemed to me that he was concentrating on not putting his foot in it which would upset his new colleagues and fans.

I thought in his interview he looked more scared than unhappy! He's only young, dealing with a sudden change in his living and playing situations, being interviewed by somebody he's just met. Just seemed to me that he was concentrating on not putting his foot in it which would upset his new colleagues and fans.

Very shy lad apparently. Just came over as a bit awkward in being interviewed.

It may be just a question of how it's presented.  There may well be a loan 'fee' for us to take Ibe. for the year...that would be perfectly normal.  Liverpool may be willing to waive this fee.if he plays enough games.  Seems reasonable. The Sun could turn this on it's head and call it a fine for not playing.   It's like the reverse of what Insurance companies do...when insuring cars.... They present you with a 'No claims Bonus'...when it could equally be called a 'Claims Penalty'

Archived