Craig Ramage

Hongdo

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Pair of them just need to stop moaning so much when we're not 3-0 up. It always sounds like we're awful unless we're spanking someone. Someone also needs to tell them to stop getting more excited when the other team is attacking than when we are. Always makes it sound like we're under the cosh.

Pair of them just need to stop moaning so much when we're not 3-0 up. It always sounds like we're awful unless we're spanking someone. Someone also needs to tell them to stop getting more excited when the other team is attacking than when we are. Always makes it sound like we're under the cosh.

Exactly.

Surely the whole point of them being local football commentators is to be biased?

Ramage is passionate and excitable, as we all are when sat in the ground watching the game. Difference is, he's lucky enough to get paid for it.

That said, how many of us could sit and talk about the entire game without swearing once?

Love the bias. Sick of giving the opposition credit or benefit of the doubt

I like the bias too, but when it's getting to the point that they aren't giving an accurate account of the match - as is their job - then it's going to far.

Great player!!! Debatable. A good/average lower league player more like. He hardly set the world alight at derby as he was injured for most of his derby career. A better commentator than some of the dross we've had on in recent years though

Scored that great goal vs florist in 91, first victory in a long time against them

I knew the " young Craig " from back in the day when he'd just broken into the first team as I worked in a pub in Alvaston ( he lived nearby apparently ), and I developed a bit of a loathing for him I must say.

He used to come iahl-esque ( young fans ask your mum or dad! ) blonde mullet and act the big " I am ". Didn't really follow his progress after he left although I think he was at Watford for a good while and was a bit of a journeyman pro.

I've been exiled in Manchester for the last 20 years or so, so imagine my surprise when this " prima donna" rocked up on my radar again as Radio Derby co-commentator - rough, ready and totally unrecognisable as the young cocky person I'd previously known.

Unfortunately from my encounters with him in my local, not a lot seems to have changed, except he is now even more unfit. Shame really because for me as a kid, he was the local lad that should have made it, or at least more of it with the rams.

I don't mind Ed Dawes actually, he's just one of those fans who always thinks the worst but just so happens to have a microphone. Take what he says with a pinch of salt and it's fine, and his actual description of the action is better than his predecessor's.

Problem is, Ramage is just as bad, just with a much more limited vocabulary and a poor command of the English language, as well as his own mouth. To compliment Dawes, you need a cool, calm and collected pundit (Paul Simpson would have been great), to calm Dawes down a bit. A bit like when you had Murray Walker and Martin Brundle together...the excitable Walker would scream into the microphone that Schumacher had spun, then Brundle would explain that it was actually his team mate Irvine, who had broken down.

The Radio Derby team is the best since Richards/Hall/Gibson era (although nowhere near as good). And Ramage is great to listen to compared to what we've had in the past. Roger Davies was a bit of a sycophant towards the club. And can nobody remember Dean Sturridge, for Christ's sake!

be fair to Studge....................it WAS the season in the Prem. and he was trying not to say it as it was, or say anything at all about the play ! Just went on and on about how talented his nephew was and what a star he was going to be.  And he was right . 

be fair to Studge....................it WAS the season in the Prem. and he was trying not to say it as it was, or say anything at all about the play ! Just went on and on about how talented his nephew was and what a star he was going to be.  And he was right . 

He seemed unable to string a sentence together without tripping up over his words. But yes to be fair to him, I'd be a bit distracted if I was watching a brutal massacre unfold right in front of me.

Anyway for me, Ramage is ace to listen to. Then again we are winning a lot more nowadays. "It's one of them ones", to quote the great man.

Archived