Sheffield Wednesday v Derby County

Day

I'm really looking forward to this game now, I think it's easily the fixture of the weekend and should have been primed for Sky. Evidently not, but anyway. 

My prediction is of a typical Derby game:

Wednesday, having read (and listened) to their fans testimony, will not be a hoof ball side, which is good to hear because that's where we can struggle, in my opinion.

We'll have the ball and I think they will be pushed back into their own half - something I think we've come accustom too - I noticed that many predict them to play 4-5-1 which will make them more toothless but probably can give them a better chance of defending and hitting us on the break. However, I don't think they have THAT much pace in the side, so we should be confident about getting men forward.

They will have chances, no doubt. However, I fancy us to control the game and the tempo and get a couple of goals.

All in all, I expected Wednesday to struggle based on what I saw last season, now, their fans have changed my mind. Not that I don't think we're better, but I fancy Wednesday to stay up and consolidate with progressive football.  

• Replies 371
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It's easy to play progressive/expansive/philosophical/emotive football as this stage of the season, when the weather's nice, the pitches are smooth and there's a little less pace in the game. A major area we differed in last season was sticking to football in the winter months. That's the test for someone like Wednesday. Every season under Clough, we'd start the season playing some wonderful stuff and then gradually get worse as we go deeper into winter. Anyone remember "Nothing November" being a thing?

I back Wednesday to be a tough opponent and to keep up this decent form through September. The test comes in the thick of winter - can they stick to it? If there's one thing we've learned over the past five years, it's very difficult to change playing style overnight.

What on earth is 'progressive' football.

What we played under Clough, I guess you could call it a few things, but football that isn't quite working for whatever reason. 

progressive
pr??gr?s?v/
adjective

1. 1.
    happening or developing gradually or in stages.

What on earth is 'progressive' football.

It's the philosophy of Jimmy Pink Floyd Hasselbaink, silly. He was with McClaren over the last couple of days.

Stuart Gray:

''it's on our patch, we want to impose our game on them'' 

''They've got good footballers, but we've got good footballers as well''

''Credit to Derby, they dominated the play-off final but couldn't get the goal - They've got no hangover''

Usual stuff, he wants them to have the ball and disagreed with the reporter who asked: ''do you have to accept they'll have the ball.''

True what Duracell says about teams starting off the season playing neat football. All teams do it and claim they have a manager that likes to "get the ball down and play good football".

Soon as results start to feel more meaningful then you see teams start to play differently.

Not saying Sheffield Wednesday are like that but who knows?

We did it for ages until last season. All neat and tidy stuff and then fook that, just get it in the corners for Theo. If in doubt hoof it out. Take no risks put it down the line, we need results football.

Nearly every manager wants neat football at this stage. Wait until there's pressure.

I think we have been a bit overconfident on this one.

They have improved no end.

And a rise to near midtable when they were rooted to the foot for much of last season probably went unnoticed.

I think it will end in a draw, or we might nick it.

I just cant see us losing.

One of the greatest forms of respect they are showing us, is their fans seem to think they should change their formation just to counter our extra man in midfield.

Archived