Will Hughes Signs Extended 4-Year Deal

Duracell

http://www.dcfc.co.uk/news/article/will-hughes-signs-a-new-long-term-contract-at-derby-county-1709157.aspx

Rams midfielder puts pen-to-paper on a new long-term contract.

"BrdBzlKIIAA7Lr8" alt="BrdBzlKIIAA7Lr8">

England Under-21 international Will Hughes has become the latest player to commit his future to Derby County, after the 19-year-old today put pen-to-paper on a new long-term deal.

The Rams

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Never thought Mackworth was lying, I honestly believed he was reporting back what he had heard. Obviously his source is at least half-reliable.

Won't begrudge him if the Bryson contract extension doesn't materialise, as that one is surely still up in the air.

Maybe, just maybe, Will has seen the likes of Zaha, Powell, Moses etc. all make the move and get no game time and decided he is much better playing week in, week out for the next couple of years.

Maybe, just maybe, Will has seen the likes of Zaha, Powell, Moses etc. all make the move and get no game time and decided he is much better playing week in, week out for the next couple of years.

Agreed.

Aside from this potentially being a savvy move for his ambitions, he also probably enjoys his job at the moment and doesn't want to change yet.

Might be one or two other young players watching what happens next with interest.

He is an intelligent lad who's head hasn't (yet!) been swayed by football's ugly side of agents and other demons.

Plus he is the type of player who is likely to improve and age much better than players who's main asset is their pace - you can't lose football intelligence, only add to it if the coaching and the player is good enough. I'm sure he knows, barring bad injuries, his time will come.

He is an intelligent lad who's head hasn't (yet!) been swayed by football's ugly side of agents and other demons.

Plus he is the type of player who is likely to improve and age much better than players who's main asset is their pace - you can't lose football intelligence, only add to it if the coaching and the player is good enough. I'm sure he knows, barring bad injuries, his time will come.

Could be another reason which influenced his decision to stay. Our fitness side of things has come on leaps and bounds in recent seasons and we seem to have stopped getting loads of niggling injuries. We had barely anything muscle-related last season.

Remember his home debut, that was great. If i'm remembering correctly, he was thrown out on the wing and looked incredibly lightweight against the bigger fullbacks, yet he had the intelligence and confidence to take on players and link up with the central midfield players. His determination impressed me that day, did not like losing the ball and always fought to win it back. He's only gotten better since then, he's improved tenfold since then and never fails to impress me when I watch him, Great piece of business.

He's guaranteed first team football under one of the best coaches in the country. He has absolutely no reason to leave. He'll benefit more here than he would even if he was a regular for the bottom 14 PL clubs.

It is wonderful news. Very interested to read the views above because I have been trying to work out why he hasn't left yet.

Been hoping against hope he saw the potential of Mac to make him a better player with more time; ideally would like to think he BELIEVES in Derby and wants to help see us through.

I know that is too much faith to place in a very young man. No one can be THAT loyal and level headed. Even if part of the motivation is to strengthen our hand if and when bigger clubs come knocking, sometimes it seems he is too good to be true.

But it's nice to think we have a good, young citizen on our hands.

See, B4, at least SOME young 'uns are nice enough!

Will Hughes, back to finish the job.

Amazing young talent, let's hope he can continue to step it up this coming season.

Well done Mackworth Ram... 

Bryson confirmation will be this afternoon, I almost guarantee it.

If they were holding onto the Hughes news to soften any potential blow from Bryson leaving, surely this being announced now is a good sign.

Archived