Conor Sammon to Sheff Utd - FLW

Jenkinson

good miss from 8 yards under no pressure last night.

That's his problem. If we're bringing on a striker for the last 15/20 minutes, it needs to be a poacher, someone that scores goals.

Sammon works hard and always puts a good shift in, but his touch is poor as his his finishing. 

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, and he can't head the ball. He just makes a token jump to make it look like he's putting in a lot of effort. And as far as a head on goal goes... he has no idea where to stand in the box to make that even a possibility.

The other factor with Sammon, which can't possibly help his situation, is that his confidence must be absolutely shot to pieces.

At this point his best bet would be a fresh start, probably at a slightly lower level, where he could draw a line under things and start again.

Of course the obvious problem with that is his wages and whether or not he'd drop them to find regular football, which is probably exactly what he needs.

He controlled the ball well yesterday in tight situations and laid it off well, always finding a Derby player.

As has been said so often though, you have to have more from a 'striker'.

He did control it a bit better last night, but it was Matlock. And he didn't stand out. Like, say, Whitbread did.

Undoubtedly.

Also Kieron Freeman first half and Lee Naylor second half.

A friend of mine works for the local rag here in Ipswich and he's just informed me ITFC are talking to Derby about Sammon. Could be something about to happen .... 

Sell Sammon, buy Thorne, that's my perfect summer I think transfer wise.

I'm not particular Sammon hater, just the club and him really don't suit each other anymore. While he's here there's always a temptation to throw him on in the last ten minutes of games, which sometimes works very well, but when it doesn't it's terrible to watch.

Milwall game proved just how much it holds us back with him being our second choice striker.

Hope the move goes through and the best of luck to him. Although if he came back to Pride Park and scored with a proper shot that he actually meant, I just don't know what I'd do.

The way some bang on about Sammon, you'd think he was the antichrist. He has his limitations, and is not good enough for our current setup to challenge Martin, but he has been committed and a very popular member of the squad. He's a decent bloke who doesn't deserve all the stick he gets.

If he does move on, good luck to him, I hope he has more success elsewhere, just not against us.

Will definitely need replacing though.

The way some bang on about Sammon, you'd think he was the antichrist. He has his limitations, and is not good enough for our current setup to challenge Martin, but he has been committed and a very popular member of the squad. He's a decent bloke who doesn't deserve all the stick he gets.

If he does move on, good luck to him, I hope he has more success elsewhere, just not against us.

Will definitely need replacing though.

spot on.

I agree with most on here that Sammon isn't good enough for our current squad as he doesn't seem provide much of a challenge to Martin and I imagine he is in need of a fresh start to provide him with a confidence boost and maybe see him back on track career wise.

But, if this rumour does prove to be true, I hope we have someone lined up to replace him, especially seeing as things seem to have gone quiet on the "back-up striker" front from earlier in the close season. Maybe if he goes it will see us renew our interest in Juke but we can't afford to let him go and then not bring in reinforcements; after all, Sammon as back up for Martin is better than no back up at all.

Archived