Conor Sammon to Sheff Utd - FLW

Jenkinson

Either that or we could just be honest about him.

He is a decent player and certainly has his abilities. He's not a finisher, he's not great in the air, but he puts himself about and is a hassle for defenses. As long as there are other players in a side that are a threat in front of goal, Sammon will help them by simply being on the pitch.

The issue we face with him now is simple, we simply don't have a role for him that uses those skills. Our forward needs to offer a goal threat and have good technical abilities, this is not what Sammon offers. He isn't great out wide and as such he essentially has been limited to being fresh legs this season. Being a side playing with 3 in midfield, our disruption to opposition defenses comes from the passing play and use of the centreforward, this isn't a role Sammon can perform, but that doesn't mean he doesn't have one.

Look back to the previous season, 8 goals and 5 assists in 3,566', 0.20 goals and 0.13 assists per 90 minutes, or good for having a hand in about 0.33 goals per game, on top of his indirect role of simply being a nuisance to the defense. He's enough of a threat, he seems to have a knack, no matter how ugly, to be able to score and create that he can't be left alone, and enough mobility, energy and motivation to cause problems. If he had the technique of Martin, and the aerial ability many players his height have, he's be a devastating player, and certainly beyond this league. As he is though in the right system, with the right players he's probably good for about 8-15 goals and 5-10 assists a season, as well enough of a disruptive effect to have a positive impact on the rest of the attack.

It's a bit odd to think of "hiding" our thoughts on him, I seriously doubt that Ipswich would not have scouted him thoroughly, they would know what he can and can't do if they are seriously injured. I do hope Sammon leaves, but for his own good, I don't want to see his career destroyed by playing second fiddle in a system that just doesn't fit him.

Whatever happens though, good luck to him.

Basically rather than the Irish Messi, he's the Irish Heskey

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Archived