Conor Sammon to Sheff Utd - FLW

Jenkinson

Too good to be true but:

Sheffield United manager Nigel Clough is looking at a deal for Derby County striker Conor Sammon.

Sammon had fallen out of favour under Steve McClaren, with the former Middlesbrough and England manager opting for Patrick Bamford, Johnny Russell or Chris Martin.

Clough signed Sammon from Wigan Athletic in the summer of 2012 for a £1.2 million fee, whilst he was Derby manager.

The 48 year old manager took over the Blades in October, and guided them to a seventh place finish in League One.

Billy Sharp has also been lined with a return to his home town club over the last few days.

http://footballleagueworld.co.uk/clough-set-to-bid-for-sammon/

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Goodbye Sammon I'll pay for your bus fare to go to Sheffield

Thankfully, Connor has done alright for himself, having shown massive commitment, workrate, dedication and a lifetime of sacrifices to earn the money he does.

I think someone said it was 18,000 a week?

On that kind of cash I'm sure he can pay his own bus fare bonnie lad. He's worked very hard to be successful in his life.

You save your money. Put it towards something nice for yourself instead.

Thankfully, Connor has done alright for himself, having shown massive commitment, workrate, dedication and a lifetime of sacrifices to earn the money he does.

I think someone said it was 18,000 a week?

On that kind of cash I'm sure he can pay his own bus fare bonnie lad. He's worked very hard to be successful in his life.

You save your money. Put it towards something nice for yourself instead.

Ridiculous how salaries get inflated on internet message boards.

No way is Sammon on £24,000 a week.

Our highest earner is on 12k according to reports.

I love his effort and his movement is first-class, but he has got absolutely no composure at all and for that I'd have to say sell him.

We need someone who can categorically challenge Martin for his position. 

Brighton were also in for him in January too.

woah, Ambitious, really? Movement is first class?????

I've never ever seen a striker be so clueless where to position themselves to be in a goalscoring opportunity. He's either 6 yards infront of the front post or 6 yards behind the back. Think I can only ever recall him having about 2 headers on goal.

The only ability he has is to harry defenders and stretch the game. That is an ability that a lot of players have, and they can be found with ease in the lower leagues for a lot less money.

woah, Ambitious, really? Movement is first class?????

I've never ever seen a striker be so clueless where to position themselves to be in a goalscoring opportunity. He's either 6 yards infront of the front post or 6 yards behind the back. Think I can only ever recall him having about 2 headers on goal.

The only ability he has is to harry defenders and stretch the game. That is an ability that a lot of players have, and they can be found with ease in the lower leagues for a lot less money.

He does manage to have a lot of chances on goal, which often end up in him passing the ball back to the keeper. 

I don't think it's his inability to get goalscoring opportunities that is the problem, it's largely his finishing. 

Against Watford before he scored the winner, he missed two glaring opportunities, for example.

When we had to play him when Martin was out, his movement was woeful. Hiding away behind defenders, not making himself available. We struggled all game because of his ineptitude to understand what a striker has to do.

Totally agree with Ambitious here, I think he has an excellent football brain and movement to go with it. Unfortunately he lacks ability in the air, composure with the ball at his feet and his first touch is often ropey which has meant he has struggled at this level.

I'd expect him to be a top performer in League 1 though and wish him all the best if he does leave.

You're judging him on performances where he's been asked to play as a hold up centre forward, that's not his game and I doubt it ever will be.

He's quite capable of peeling off defenders and finding space in the box though, you don't get to miss so many gilt edged chances if you're not.

Archived