Rapist to sign new deal at Sheffield United

davenportram

TobyWanKenobi

Once he's done the time that is considered by the justice system deemed appropriate, he's welcome to play football again as far as I'm concerned.

It's not like he'd be able to get a real job. The sex offender tag sticks.

I hope he doesn't expect an easy ride from any away fans or players though, because that isn't going to happen.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Billy Davies had signed him I bet he'd be crucified on here.

Fook it, rape a girl, do a bit of time inside and get a big football contract at the end of it. Hey! Justice has been served. How's your daughter?

This is what we have to put up with mate.

I've been on the verge of joining the COYR's forum several times but been talked out of it on each occasion.

let me know who talked you out of it?

I'm polishing Daveo's ban hammer.

This is what we have to put up with mate.

I've been on the verge of joining the COYR's forum several times but been talked out of it on each occasion.

Bye.

• 4 months later...

Just got a tweet from the Sheffield Star. Tomorrows front page:

Let My Ched Play

From his girlfreind...who has forgiven him for 'cheating on her' and wants him back in the squad.

Ok love. He wasn't convicted for rape then? Jeeeeeeeeeez.

He gets out next month. Can you imagine what life for him will be like when the crowds start chanting stuff at him, if he comes back? That won't be pretty will it?

I just don't understand this at all. 

If Nigel was intent on signing a rapist then why not just take Sammon on loan? He's got the touch of one after all.....

In all seriousness though, as JW points out, he's served his time, no problem with him playing. Of course he's still a pathetic individual but there are plenty of those playing football.

I have to agree with the view that he served his time and should be allowed to play the game. I just wouldn't want it to be my club standing behind him because he's sick.

There was a point where I had read up on this case and thought they had got it wrong, but to be honest you're never going to find the full story on the internet. The only people who knew the full story were the ones who convicted him beyond reasonable doubt. So you have to trust the system imo.

Its a matter for the criminal justice system, not football to judge. But if anyone on here either has been raped, or has had someone close to them been raped then I am sure that they wouldn't want this thing anywhere near their football team. Rape is one of the most under reported crimes with a very low conviction rate where everything is stacked against the victim in the legal system and a large part of our society blames the victim anyway. I'm afraid that from my personal point of view, this is the kind of crime that can't be forgiven or excused.

I've had a chat on Twitter with someone I'm pretty sure is connected with the club. He confirms the club are worried any damage this may have on the club if he returns, states that he hasn't had any part of the club since he's been in prison ( that's kind of obvious) but couldn't or wouldn't say if he was actually sacked.

He also says that any links between them are down to the media.

My own opinion by reading between the lines is that he hasn't been sacked but they remain worried about their club rep. It's up to their owner now - but I'm not sure if his girlfriend is helping his cause.

Archived