Rapist to sign new deal at Sheffield United

davenportram

This thread has turned into a discourse on which person has the right opinion or not rather than the true issue at hand it seems.

For the crime committed I don't believe he should be signed by a professional football club. I'm not buying all this wrongly convicted stuff. He wanted some fun and took advantage of a situation, any point he could have turned away, let alone decide to not cheat on his girlfriend. Being a complete cock doesn't stop you from being a footballer, being a convicted rapist should. I just don't believe he should return to a privileged job, particularly one under such media scrutiny.

Yet, I can see the other argument that he should be allowed to play, that in the eyes of the law his time has served and he is free to resume his career and life.

Either way, I think any club that signs him will be damaging their reputation, but that probably won't matter if he scores plenty such is the nature of football.

• Replies 345
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok.I personally would not a rapist on my team if I were a fan;I meam how much more of a scummier piece of human **** can you be?

Good player but as an owner I would not want to deal with all the drama because imo I still think a good chance he did it.

Unfortunately americanram a lot of people are very scummy indeed, including a lot of footballers. I don't know how good a player he is, pretty irrelevant I think. And personally , even if guilty I do think that if we don't try and rehabilitate offenders then that makes things worse. It alienates the offenders and actually makes them more dangerous, not less.

Unfortunately americanram a lot of people are very scummy indeed, including a lot of footballers. I don't know how good a player he is, pretty irrelevant I think. And personally , even if guilty I do think that if we don't try and rehabilitate offenders then that makes things worse. It alienates the offenders and actually makes them more dangerous, not less.

Fair enough.

having seemingly been wrongly convicted in the first place.

I'm sorry to keep digging away, but I really don't think you should keep saying that.

It's only your opinion, and you're probably wrong, but in any case there are wider issues for women in society when men perpetuate this myth about being led to expect sex because of the way women look or behave.

It is exceedingly difficult to get a conviction for rape in this country. That is in no small part due to the prevailing male attitude to women and sexuality; whether you mean to or not, your comments in this thread typify and perpetuate that attitude.

No doubt you just wish to see that justice is done, but as others have said, without access to all the evidence the best we can do is accept the verdict of the judges and the court.

There has been a lot of adverse publicity for the victim in this case; that doesn't just affect her alone, but has a knock-on effect on attitudes towards women in general. The public support for Evans has, in my view, been detrimental to the wider cause of getting justice for women who have been raped or abused.

Archived