FA to look at introduction of B teams

Day

How about a limit to the number of professional contracts a team can have playing for them at one point (loaned out players don't count towards this quota).  However have a set period of time that players can be loaned out, say 18 months.

That way, the top clubs can not hoover up all of the talent, unless they have them as first team squad players.  Those that have expired their loan quota either have to be given a first team contract or have to be released.  They will then gravitate to the smaller clubs who can give them the first team opportunities that Greg Dyke is so eager for.

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are damned because they did.

A lot of the scepticism comes from the fact that the FA stitched up the football league in the early 90s by helping set up the premier league. That was for the good of all of football apparently.

Sceptics can hardly be blamed for smelling a rat.

They are damned because they did.

A lot of the scepticism comes from the fact that the FA stitched up the football league in the early 90s by helping set up the premier league. That was for the good of all of football apparently.

Sceptics can hardly be blamed for smelling a rat.

Ok, put it another way, do you think the FA have done any good in the last twenty years?

Ok, put it another way, do you think the FA have done any good in the last twenty years?

I would say not much,no.

The issue i have is that the FA for all the publicity and spin, do not want real change. They are in thrall to the rich premier clubs and will do everything they possibly can to maintain the status quo.....

This article in today's Mirror sums it up for me......

The people at Accrington Stanley, one of the most evocative names in English football, put it best.

“In 2016/17,” they wrote on Twitter, “we can achieve our dream. We’ll finally be able to play Stoke City Reserves in the Football League.”

In those few words, they articulated beautifully what seems not to have occurred to anyone on Greg Dyke’s bloated commission. Because sticking a few Premier League B-teams into the lower leagues will be like injecting poison into them.

It won’t help reinvigorate them. It will just kill them.

Maybe Dyke, who was once the chairman of Brentford, doesn’t care about the lower leagues any more.

What angers me most is that Dyke and his elitist cronies appear to have no understanding at all of the passions of league fans.

You see, fans of Accrington Stanley, Colchester United and Chesterfield all have dreams, too. Bizarre though it might seem to the bigger clubs, supporters of lower league clubs have dreams that, one day, they might join them.

They certainly do not dream that one day they might play Stoke City's stiffs. That’s a patronising insult.

What really hurts is that the FA are supposed to be the protectors of the lower leagues and the general good of the game. That all changed on Thursday.

They are not the friends of the lower leagues any more. They are the enemy.

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook at the top.

I would say not much,no.

The issue i have is that the FA for all the publicity and spin, do not want real change. They are in thrall to the rich premier clubs and will do everything they possibly can to maintain the status quo.....

This article in today's Mirror sums it up for me......

The people at Accrington Stanley, one of the most evocative names in English football, put it best.

“In 2016/17,” they wrote on Twitter, “we can achieve our dream. We’ll finally be able to play Stoke City Reserves in the Football League.”

In those few words, they articulated beautifully what seems not to have occurred to anyone on Greg Dyke’s bloated commission. Because sticking a few Premier League B-teams into the lower leagues will be like injecting poison into them.

It won’t help reinvigorate them. It will just kill them.

Maybe Dyke, who was once the chairman of Brentford, doesn’t care about the lower leagues any more.

What angers me most is that Dyke and his elitist cronies appear to have no understanding at all of the passions of league fans.

You see, fans of Accrington Stanley, Colchester United and Chesterfield all have dreams, too. Bizarre though it might seem to the bigger clubs, supporters of lower league clubs have dreams that, one day, they might join them.

They certainly do not dream that one day they might play Stoke City's stiffs. That’s a patronising insult.

What really hurts is that the FA are supposed to be the protectors of the lower leagues and the general good of the game. That all changed on Thursday.

They are not the friends of the lower leagues any more. They are the enemy.

Follow us: @DailyMirror on Twitter | DailyMirror on Facebook at the top.

agree they don't always cover themselves in glory, but what they have done good is women's football, hooliganism pretty rare,racism on the terraces virtually gone.

Taken their 30 pieces of silver from the premier league and so handed their position as guardians of the game over to the money men

Allowed TV to take complete control

Allowed referees to be exposed to the most obscene vitriol via trial by TV pundit (invariably ex-players)

Wasted millions on a national stadium

Threw money at Setanta sports

Embarrassed the whole country with their petulant behaviour around the world cup bid

Devalued their own flagship competition by allowing the holders to drop out of it to compete in a meaningless overseas tournament

I'm sure I've blanked a few as well.

Taken their 30 pieces of silver from the premier league and so handed their position as guardians of the game over to the money men

Allowed TV to take complete control

Allowed referees to be exposed to the most obscene vitriol via trial by TV pundit (invariably ex-players)

Wasted millions on a national stadium

Threw money at Setanta sports

Embarrassed the whole country with their petulant behaviour around the world cup bid

Devalued their own flagship competition by allowing the holders to drop out of it to compete in a meaningless overseas tournament

I'm sure I've blanked a few as well.

and yet you didn't answer the question, them three examples were off top of my head as well as your negatives, which I agree with.

Ask me this. What should they do!?

I do find all the emotive talk amusing.  Stoke City B team which would be a development squad suddenly become Stoke City Stiffs.

Greg Dyke and his elitist cronies. I would hardly call the people on his commission with him as elitist. 

sticking a few Premier League B-teams into the lower leagues will be like injecting poison into them.

Accrington Stanley, one of the most evocative names in English football. They have only been in the league for 6 years and came very close to folding 3 years ago until finding their 'sugar daddy' (just like the Prem clubs) to finance them. The original club folded because the town can't / won't support them (even now they are bottom of the entire league for attendances).

I haven't seen anything in anyones comments that gives a good reason why this should not be worthy of serious consideration. This was brought up to try and address a particular problem that people with huge experience in the game (including our own Head Coach) agree we have. Although some on here know better that those who are / have been involved at the highest level of the game.

I do find all the emotive talk amusing.  Stoke City B team which would be a development squad suddenly become Stoke City Stiffs.

Greg Dyke and his elitist cronies. I would hardly call the people on his commission with him as elitist. 

sticking a few Premier League B-teams into the lower leagues will be like injecting poison into them.

Accrington Stanley, one of the most evocative names in English football. They have only been in the league for 6 years and came very close to folding 3 years ago until finding their 'sugar daddy' (just like the Prem clubs) to finance them. The original club folded because the town can't / won't support them (even now they are bottom of the entire league for attendances).

I haven't seen anything in anyones comments that gives a good reason why this should not be worthy of serious consideration. This was brought up to try and address a particular problem that people with huge experience in the game (including our own Head Coach) agree we have. Although some on here know better that those who are / have been involved at the highest level of the game.

If the FA wanted to improve the England team of the future they would bring in rules about how many English players a squad must have. They won't because the big clubs would not allow it.

I can't see where the benefit to the England team would come from under Dyke's plan. 

It is not a case of "knowing better than those involved at the highest level", its like FFP and the Elite Player rules, its all to benefit the top 5 or 6 clubs and that is what Dykes committee have to take into account when they come up with a plan.

Pure market forces dictate the running of our game, until that is addressed why would we expect clubs to make decisions that don't directly benefit themselves.

If Greg Dyke and the committee were able to sit down with a completely blank agenda and draw up a plan to improve the England football team it would most likely to be very different.

Like i said earlier, maybe its just me being too cynical.

The Mirror article is spot on.

The game has to mean something for everyone, or it means nothing.

If young players need competitive football to improve them, ban loans. Simple, but will never happen because it will upset Chelsea etc. The FA want *******.

This has all the hallmarks of spin being applied to cover the commission's backsides - rather than have to address the real issue with the big clubs and their control of football, let's suggest something radical and then when everyone refuses to play ball, we came put the blame on the league and the little teams.....my only surprise is that Rio didn't insist that each of the B teams had a black manager....(or perhaps that's hidden away in the small print)

Football and emotive language are never far apart. Even Mr Dyke is somewhat susceptible to this with his dire warnings today of a bleak future if we don't tag along. Self-importance of Olympic quality, even by the standards of the FA.

And who can forget the cut-throat gesture at the World Cup draw.

'Emotive' is practically his middle name.

There is aneasy answer to this, so far as the lower league clubs are concerned. Just refuse to play against the B teams, period. The football league said "how high, sir?" when the FA asked them to jump when the Premier League was set up. This time, they should just tell them to feck off.

Are there any good reason's why this should not be considered apart from mistrust? Bear in mind that this is an FA proposal not a Premier League proposal.

I think what will happen is that the Football League clubs (Div 1 & 2) and the Combination will be powerless to object. League 3 will be introduced and 8 - 10 Premier league teams will put 'B' teams into the structure spread over League 3 and the Combination. The World will carry on, teams will enjoy playing against some of the best young talent in the country. Some of the best young talent in the country will enjoy pitting themselves against more experienced and wiser players. Those who in the last couple of days have said that they will turn their backs on football will get over their 'drama queen' acts and continue to support their clubs. he Premier league clubs will be happy that they are in control of their young talent, the lower league clubs will realise that they had nothing to worry about. All will be well... 

There is aneasy answer to this, so far as the lower league clubs are concerned. Just refuse to play against the B teams, period. The football league said "how high, sir?" when the FA asked them to jump when the Premier League was set up. This time, they should just tell them to feck off.

I think relegation would beckon if they did that - which they won't.

I don't understand why so many are getting excited about the possibility of getting into the Premier League when they seem to detest it so much. People are strange :)

I think relegation would beckon if they did that - which they won't.

I don't understand why so many are getting excited about the possibility of getting into the Premier League when they seem to detest it so much. People are strange :)

People detest what goes on behind the scenes, that doesn't mean they don't want to see their team competing in the highest division of English Football.

Archived