Out of contract players: who to keep, who to bin?

CumbrianRam

Three months to go in the season and it is the time of year where players out of contract prove to the club that they deserve an extended stay and Derby have 10 such players in their first team squad who are listed below:

GK

Ross Atkins

Adam Legzdins

Mats Morch

DF

Valentin Gjokaj

Michael Hoganson

MF

James Bailey

Ben Davies

John Eustace

FW

Callum Ball

Jamie Ward (one year option clause)

Who do you keep?

Who do you bin?

I'd activate Ward's option and keep Morch and Eustace on year deals (though I think Eustace's role will be limited to cover next season) and the rest can go to free up wages.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

GK

Ross Atkins - bin

Adam Legzdins - keep for a year or 2 until Roos is ready to make the step up

Mats Morch - keep

DF

Valentin Gjokaj - bin

Michael Hoganson - keep

MF

James Bailey - bin 

Ben Davies - bin

John Eustace - keep for a year, good backup player and good to keep his experience to help the youngsters

FW

Callum Ball - bin

Jamie Ward (one year option clause) - keep

It's nice to get to this point of the season without having to worry about potentially losing a key player for free.  All credit to the club for the way the contracts are currently being managed, there are plenty of supporters at other clubs very worried about losing half a side for free in the summer.

I would take the option on Ward and offer Eustace another year possibly on a pay as you play basis.  For the youngsters I am happy with whatever the coaching staff who work with them day in and out decide.

I would keep Legzdins if we are in the championship.

I'd keep Ward and Bailey even if we were in the PL as squad players.

The rest can go.

I know Morch is young, but has to have the worst technique of any young keeper I have ever seen at professional level.

It actually shocked me.

Take Ward's option, and if we are promoted, make some money out of him.

The rest, not really fussed. It's a shame as I thought both Gjokaj and Hoganson had some potential.

Eustace I'd give some kind of player/coaching staff role. It's what he was after with Watford, but they didn't want. As someone previously mentioned, that experience will always be useful especially for the younger players.

Obviously a no brainer to activate Ward's extension but then do you try and extend him further (as he'll only have one guaranteed year left) or do you sell?

If we received a decent price, the fee and wages it frees up for another player or two could well be worth it.

Will be interesting to see how many of the released players get picked up by a certain South Yorkshire team...

Eustace I'd give some kind of player/coaching staff role. It's what he was after with Watford, but they didn't want. As someone previously mentioned, that experience will always be useful especially for the younger players.

Other way around, Watford wanted him on as a player/coach but he didn't.

Archived