Derby County v Yeovil Town

sage

Doesn't the first bit say they deserved to lose? "Defeat was the (very) least they deserved".

The second bit's just plain wrong though. That Bananas of relief was deserved a million times over.

Who says 'defeat is the least they deserved' though? doesn't that imply that there is a worst outcome than losing?

'a point was the least they deserved' ...etc

I think they've took a page out of North Korea's media manual for that piece...

• Replies 336
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Glovers suffered injury time heartache at the iPro Stadium, leading 2-0 at the break only for Chris Martin to earn a 3-2 Sky Bet Championship victory with almost the last touch of the game.

While Gary Johnson’s men led against the run of play, defeat was the least that they deserved as the Rams breathed the biggest – and most underserved – sighs of relief in the bid to reach the Premier League.

I had to reread that 10 times, they taking the piss? :lol: :lol:

No worse than some of your articles bending the truth to fit an agenda

(but that's OK because we like your agenda) ;)

Seriously though, from their point of view they did restrict us to very few CLEAR chances, despite the numbers, and as the team bottom in the league, 2 goals up and holding on to the lead until 87 minutes they will have started to feel that their resiliance and clinical finishing to that point 'deserved' at least a point.

We've all been there, clutching at straws and scraping barrels to be positive.

No worse than some of your articles bending the truth to fit an agenda

(but that's OK because we like your agenda) ;)

Seriously though, from their point of view they did restrict us to very few CLEAR chances, despite the numbers, and as the team bottom in the league, 2 goals up and holding on to the lead until 87 minutes they will ahve started to feel that their resiliance and clinical finishing to that point 'deserved' at least a point.

We've all been there, clutching at strwas and scraping barrels to be positive.

I don't bend truths, I simply rid this club of bad press and just focus on the good points.

I wasn't going to bother, but I think I will write up a piece on the game now...

The Glovers suffered injury time heartache at the iPro Stadium, leading 2-0 at the break only for Chris Martin to earn a 3-2 Sky Bet Championship victory with almost the last touch of the game.

While Gary Johnson’s men led against the run of play, defeat was the least that they deserved as the Rams breathed the biggest – and most underserved – sighs of relief in the bid to reach the Premier League.

I had to reread that 10 times, they taking the piss? :lol: :lol:

It's alright, Niall's on the case....

http://www.westerngazette.co.uk/Gary-Johnson-Gifting-possession-stupid-free-kick/story-20514007-detail/story.html#ixzz2rk4lKtfA

Good lad.  :)

What a fecking brilliant game. 
I think all my thoughts about the game have been covered by others already to be honest but I will just add that I don't think I've felt that sorry for a set of away fans since we beat Southampton on penalties in the pissin rain years ago.
Must've been a horrible journey home for them!

Who says 'defeat is the least they deserved' though? doesn't that imply that there is a worst outcome than losing?

'a point was the least they deserved' ...etc

I think they've took a page out of North Korea's media manual for that piece...

It's making my head hurt trying to figure it out :lol:

I interpreted it as "it could have been worse" e.g. lost by 5 or 6 goals.

It's making my head hurt trying to figure it out :lol:

I interpreted it as "it could have been worse" e.g. lost by 5 or 6 goals.

I'm wrong here...

That Niall article's cleared it up, in this paragraph:

"As the Gazette's sports editor Chris Sweet noted the Glovers were more than worthy of at least a point against Derby County who are promotion hopefuls, only for their resolve to finally be broken with two goals in the final ten minutes."

I'll have whatever Mr. Sweet's smoking. Such a better phrasing than that "least they deserved" crap as well.

my ratings of the players tonight:

Grant - 6: didnt have much to do made some fairly straightforward saves. could have maybe done better for both goals

Wisdom - 6: average by his standards but by no means poor, got forward well and nearly scored a screamer

Keogh - 7: did very well against a big strong forward (miller) won all his headers

Buxton - 6: again an standard bucko performance, solid defensively and on the ball but nothing spectacular

Forsyth - 7: defensively sound had his man in his back pocket, was a bit hit and miss going forward which he did quite a bit

Eustace - 6: did his job well as per, got caught out a few times and was poor for their opener

Hughes - 8: ran the show second half, his assist for bryson was pure class, was good first half either

Bryson - 8: usual energetic self, scored a nicely taken goal showed great composure and inch perfect free kick for the winner

Bamford - 7: a bit anonymous first half, came to life second half linked well with ward and scored another important goal

Dawkins - 9: outstanding performance today, looked a threat whenever he was on the ball and although end product was lacking, he still had his best game since signing perm and got a good assist for the first goal - MotM for me

Martin - 7: clearly saw he was lacking confidence and had chances he'd usually bury, that said nothing went for him all game as he was manhandled but got the all important winner and hopefully a huge confidence boost

Subs:
Ward - 6: took a while to get going but improved as the game progressed, looked threatening

Sammon - 6: did what he does best and unsettled the defence being a nuisance, thought he may have come on sooner given the circumstances

Russell - 6: didn't have much time but great to see him back and won the free kick which led to the winner

I was impressed by Yeovil, they poured men forward, and anyone who said they put everyone behind the ball was wrong.

Agreed, I think people are being a little too dismissive of them. They clearly had a plan to do to us what we do when we go away, defend then smash on the break - at times in the first half they had runners from midfield all over the place. Despite being totally outclassed they stuck to their guns and threw bodies at the ball all night. They are a limited side but tried to play football and were far less negative than most teams that have come to Pride Park this season.

Our defence couldn't live with their front two first half, and we were troubled by their midfield runners.

That said, we still dominated large parts of of the first half. Second half they just couldn't live with us anywhere. 

my ratings of the players tonight:

Grant - 6: didnt have much to do made some fairly straightforward saves. could have maybe done better for both goals

Wisdom - 6: average by his standards but by no means poor, got forward well and nearly scored a screamer

Keogh - 7: did very well against a big strong forward (miller) won all his headers

Buxton - 6: again an standard bucko performance, solid defensively and on the ball but nothing spectacular

Forsyth - 7: defensively sound had his man in his back pocket, was a bit hit and miss going forward which he did quite a bit

Eustace - 6: did his job well as per, got caught out a few times and was poor for their opener

Hughes - 8: ran the show second half, his assist for bryson was pure class, was good first half either

Bryson - 8: usual energetic self, scored a nicely taken goal showed great composure and inch perfect free kick for the winner

Bamford - 7: a bit anonymous first half, came to life second half linked well with ward and scored another important goal

Dawkins - 9: outstanding performance today, looked a threat whenever he was on the ball and although end product was lacking, he still had his best game since signing perm and got a good assist for the first goal - MotM for me

Martin - 7: clearly saw he was lacking confidence and had chances he'd usually bury, that said nothing went for him all game as he was manhandled but got the all important winner and hopefully a huge confidence boost

Subs:

Ward - 6: took a while to get going but improved as the game progressed, looked threatening

Sammon - 6: did what he does best and unsettled the defence being a nuisance, thought he may have come on sooner given the circumstances

Russell - 6: didn't have much time but great to see him back and won the free kick which led to the winner

Opinions opinions. Thought both Hughes and Bryson were awful first half, better in the second but then they had so much more room to operate as we had Yeovil pinned back. Hughes's wait and pass for Bryson's goal was real quality; other than that sure he kept us ticking over but didn't do anything remarkable or create much. And I do get frustrated when a player of his quality simply refuses to use his right foot.

Bamford was terrific with the ball but so frustrating without it. Every time the ball came to his side, he ran inside leaving Wisdom or whoever with no-one to pass to. But that's part of his learning. Love his enthusiasm and obviously a quality player.

Dawkins was excellent but again lacked an end product too often. Used his brain well for Bamford's goal, turn and cross when the temptation would have been to blast it.

Centre halves: Couldn't cope with Miller and Moore first half, second no problem as Yeovil barely crossed the half way line.

Mention to Wisdom, excellent attacking threat as we poured forward, and similarly Forsyth, though he missed a sitter. 

And Lee Grant, could have done better with their second but pulled off a crucial save second half that might have sunk us had it gone in.

All in all an outstanding performance considering we kept going and going and going. But blimey we made it hard for ourselves.

Agreed, I think people are being a little too dismissive of them. They clearly had a plan to do to us what we do when we go away, defend then smash on the break - at times in the first half they had runners from midfield all over the place. Despite being totally outclassed they stuck to their guns and threw bodies at the ball all night. They are a limited side but tried to play football and were far less negative than most teams that have come to Pride Park this season.

Our defence couldn't live with their front two first half, and we were troubled by their midfield runners.

That said, we still dominated large parts of of the first half. Second half they just couldn't live with us anywhere. 

I thought that on the whole Yeovil played a honest game. They dropped deeper towards the end, but they'd been doing that much defending and chasing our passes around that they were knackered so fairly understandable. We definitely deserved the win, but thumbs up to Gary Johnson for the way that Yeovil played. 

The Rams had a staggering 36 shots on goal, 68% of the possession and made 582 passes with an 81% success rate.

On the night Derby were the best side in the division in all of those areas - it gives Rams fans something to smile about, despite chasing the result for the majority of the game.

I love a good stat, me.

From what a lot of you have said then, there was plenty of criticism for Martin from that God awful ground?

"We want a 20 goal per season striker"

No you don't. You want a 50 goal per season striker that never has any loss of form. Just like you want every pass to be forwards and whenever the ball leaves our penalty area for the entire team to charge forward to the halfway like in perfect timing.

All the team want is Fooking atmosphere.

Saturday.

I'm glad we're away

I'm glad we're awaaaay

The Ipro is a shithole

I'm glad we're away.

Bring on Brum, their vile fans, empty seats and extremely interesting manager. Oh and Zigic who will pretty much guarantee one source of attack even though he's a donkey.

Grant - 7 - Pulled off a really good save when Keogh (I think) flicked a header nearly into his own net.

Wisdom - 7 - Solid as always

Keogh - 6 - Not great but better than Buxton.

Buxton - 5 - Thought he was really poor. I know their two front men were big but only won a handful of headers and looked a weak link IMO.

Forsyth - 6 - Decent defensively, but should have buried that chance.

Eustace - 6 - Did ok first half, good decision to take him off though and to change the shape.

Bryson - 8 - Excellent. A goal and assist. So important to our team.

Hughes - 7 - Good as always doing what he does best. One thing that must be said is that he needs taking off set pieces. **** delivery more often than not.

Dawkins - 8 - Very good. His touch and dribbling was class, always demanded the ball and used it well.

Bamford - 7 - Thought he played fairly well but unsure whether he fits as a winger in a front three. Another goal though so it'll be difficult to leave him out against Birmingham.

Martin - 7 - Held it well enough and rarely lost the ball. Good to see him score.

Ward - 5 - Didn't do a hell of a lot

Sammon & Russell - NA

From what a lot of you have said then, there was plenty of criticism for Martin from that God awful ground?

"We want a 20 goal per season striker"

No you don't. You want a 50 goal per season striker that never has any loss of form. Just like you want every pass to be forwards and whenever the ball leaves our penalty area for the entire team to charge forward to the halfway like in perfect timing.

All the team want is Fooking atmosphere.

Saturday.

I'm glad we're away

I'm glad we're awaaaay

The Ipro is a shithole

I'm glad we're away.

Bring on Brum, their vile fans, empty seats and extremely interesting manager. Oh and Zigic who will pretty much guarantee one source of attack even though he's a donkey.

Yep right on Alpha. Except it's down to us how we look after our home, the iPro. Make some noise, make it iProud.

Mr Steve McClaren has mentioned it a few times, about Fan participation. The new management team want the crowd to lift the players, get behinfd the players, support the players, make a load of noise, create an atmosphere, that the players will respond too.

If we are 4th in the league, why aren't we singing our hearts out, singing our heads off, enjoying every moment or as a majority

are we now happy in life to nit pick every performance, and look to drop our leading scorer etc.

Modern Day Football with it's modern day football fans, that just constantly whinge and moan and sit in their grounds verbaly attacking their own teams players week in, week out....I just don't get it, I don't want to get it, I don't accept it, I can't accept, why do I feel like I'm in a minority, when singing or wanting to be singing etc and why do I prefer watching the rams away from home etc? 

I just don't get it, it's like living in a mental home "One Flew Over The Ipro's Nest".......

Medication time, put the ball in the hoop big chief etc etc. Put Ward in the Ward etc.

C'mon make some noise, be proud of your football club, and the club will make you proud. Sing it loud, sing it proud and get behind your team, not against them.

What a fecking brilliant game. 

I think all my thoughts about the game have been covered by others already to be honest but I will just add that I don't think I've felt that sorry for a set of away fans since we beat Southampton on penalties in the pissin rain years ago.

Must've been a horrible journey home for them!

That's really heartfelt - I've got tears in my eyes, yep must have been an awful ride home!

Archived