be careful about what you wish for!

Tricky1884

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nobody gave us a 'Cat in 'ell's chance' against Man United in 1969, in our first season after getting promoted.

Over 40,000 fans packed into the BBG, and we won 2-0

Those days have gone. The gulf is huge now, but its more a huge gulf between the top 4 and the rest, and then quite a gulf between bottom of Prem and the top of Championship. The Premier League money is just megabucks signing players for £50m just aint fair.

I'm more of a take each game as it comes person, the Premier League reminds me of the 'capitol' in the hunger games (anyone who has seen it will understand my vision, hopefully)

I would only really like Premier League football if we actually spent competitive money on GOOD players as opposed to the scatter gun approach Palace tried.

We would need investment of around £100 million before I was comfortable.

aim high, otherwise I'd prefer to stick around down here

We'll go up under SM. Whether this season or next. 

Once we're there, I honestly think we'll see massive investment from the board. 

So far, after the failures, and loss of money in the Paul Jewell era, I think they've gone about it the right way. 

Get the club in a stable financial position, build up potential areas of income, so when we reached the promised land, we aren't out of our depth. 

Try building a skyscraper on the foundations of a bungalow. Doesn't matter how much fancy steel and glass you use to decorate, that baby is coming down. 

A slow burn is always the best approach.

Nobody gave us a 'Cat in 'ell's chance' against Man United in 1969, in our first season after getting promoted.

Over 40,000 fans packed into the BBG, and we won 2-0

Those days have gone. The gulf is huge now, but its more a huge gulf between the top 4 and the rest, and then quite a gulf between bottom of Prem and the top of Championship. The Premier League money is just megabucks signing players for £50m just aint fair.

The gulf was 'massive' then - Man Utd had won the European Cup a year earlier with basically the same team !  Our team wasn't exactly household names at the time, with only Mackay/Durban/Hinton having international experience (?)

If Florist can beat West Ham 5-0, then I don't think there is that much of a Gap  ;)

To be honest the thing that'd excite me most about being in PL is the increased chances of winning a cup.

PL is pretty **** - doesn't get me going. Gulf is huge and games that are pretty naff become your biggest games of the season in the quest for survival. Having United, Chelsea, City in town is exciting but I'm not overly fussed about the rest of it. In reality you can't even make a challenge for top six anymore without astronomical investment.

We could win a cup though. Our squad would improve a lot (I hope!) and the thought of some good runs and trips to Wembley excite me far more than knocking around 12th - 17th. If we win the FA Cup before I croak it I'll die happy.

To be honest the thing that'd excite me most about being in PL is the increased chances of winning a cup.

PL is pretty **** - doesn't get me going. Gulf is huge and games that are pretty naff become your biggest games of the season in the quest for survival. Having United, Chelsea, City in town is exciting but I'm not overly fussed about the rest of it. In reality you can't even make a challenge for top six anymore without astronomical investment.

We could win a cup though. Our squad would improve a lot (I hope!) and the thought of some good runs and trips to Wembley excite me far more than knocking around 12th - 17th. If we win the FA Cup before I croak it I'll die happy.

Agree mate.

Except I'm not excited to play the top teams. They're too good and it's not fair. Phil Brown could manage Man City to the top 6 right now.

But if you aren't in the PL then you're in trouble. That's where the money is. That's where the best players go and sit on a bench rather than drop a tier. That's the only place to gain any sort of power to challenge for silverware.

You can rise pretty high if you're lucky and you get a good chain of managers. You can ride the wave for a bit.

Eventually though you'll probably sink. But I'd be content just having witnessed a cup final or two and trips in Europe.

If the FFP does go to lengths it claims then the gap will get bigger and if you're not in there earning the money then you'll never earn the money to get/stay there.

Got to say the only way is up but I hope that not all fan groups from visiting or away PL clubs are as blase - and are more passionate about who they play than Chelsea were. Twas a tad disappointing reading their forums post-match. Nobody seemed bothered or had any views on how we played and what our level of support there was for our team. There was just something missing.

Completely blase and totally used to being in the top half of the league constantly with not much to play for really.

Where's the passion gone from them?

Got to say the only way is up but I hope that not all fan groups from visiting or away PL clubs are as blase - and are more passionate about who they play than Chelsea were. Twas a tad disappointing reading their forums post-match. Nobody seemed bothered or had any views on how we played and what our level of support there was for our team. There was just something missing.

Completely blase and totally used to being in the top half of the league constantly with not much to play for really.

There was a Chelsea flag that read "BY BIRTH, NOT GLORY" on display in the South Stand. That must have been a dig at their own glory hunters - wanka's the lot of 'em!

Possibly because it was a bit of a walk in the park for them and they are hardly not used to seeing large crowds (Atmosphere wasn't particularly good either)

Agree mate.

Except I'm not excited to play the top teams. They're too good and it's not fair. Phil Brown could manage Man City to the top 6 right now.

But if you aren't in the PL then you're in trouble. That's where the money is. That's where the best players go and sit on a bench rather than drop a tier. That's the only place to gain any sort of power to challenge for silverware.

You can rise pretty high if you're lucky and you get a good chain of managers. You can ride the wave for a bit.

Eventually though you'll probably sink. But I'd be content just having witnessed a cup final or two and trips in Europe.

If the FFP does go to lengths it claims then the gap will get bigger and if you're not in there earning the money then you'll never earn the money to get/stay there.

Completely agree. I'm hesitant to say I'm happy in the championship, with loads of local derbies, but deep down I am. The only dilemma is that I constantly want us to win, but don't want to be in the Premier League which is a conundrum. The only way we could balance things out, imo, is to truly extend the Fair Play arrangements to the very top. But in all honesty I can't see that happening. Too much money at stake!

Possibly because it was a bit of a walk in the park for them and they are hardly not used to seeing large crowds (Atmosphere wasn't particularly good either)

Don't you think so? I thought it was ok meself.

S'pose you could be right though about us being a fly they had to swat, but, I don't know, reading their posts seemed a world away from other clubs comments about us in this league.

Can someone call Sam Rush & Schteve and tell them not to bother turning up tomorrow!!!  What's the point in supporting if you don't want to see your team competing against the best???  Yes i know there's a lot of away games that are more local and we our chances of winning every games we play are good (bar Leicester away) but if the club doesn't strive to be as high as they can what's the point...

Besides, look at Swansea, Newcastle & West Brom.  Recently promoted teams who play in a certain way and use their excellent scouting system and the overseas market to maximum effect to complement a nucleus of good homegrown players (ok, maybe not Newcastle in that regard).  They show that with the right ethos you can do well...

For Derby County there is nothing more exciting in football than going for promotion from this league.

When we get up, we will never ever win the Premiershite, ever, the best we can hope for is a decent run in the carling cup every 5 or 6 years and mid table.

sad but true.

I don't agree, if you can stay in the prem for ten years that's a lot of money for good players, get up into the european  places and and owt can happen, unlikely but not impossible.

IF  we could get back to the level the we were under Jim with the standard of players we had then Biano etc and IF we extended the ground to get the 40k gates against probably say six visits from the top teams ,then we could be a top 10 prem club but its a tough gig to get there .

You would not pick up players like Eranio /Biano for the price we paid then its a different ball game now. Contracts would really have to be thought through  to guard against bankrupting the club should it go wrong etc [blackburn] but yes its possible.We are a football city we deserve it no? 

I'd like to see us in the Premiership, of course. But I'm also enjoying this season, where we're winning more than we're loosing, dominating teams. Saturday's are fun. I know that if we go up this season, Saturday's will be nervous occasions that will, more often than not, end in disappointment. Perhaps we'll improve in the second year, and we might even be able to establish ourselves as a mid-table club. But it's highly unlikely that we'll ever see a season like this one if we're in the Prem.

So my ideal would be to be like Cardiff, and maybe spend a couple of seasons bouncing around the play offs, with a couple of valiant Wembley defeats, before storming the league in a couple of seasons time. Then maybedo a West Brom, and bounce between the two divisions a bit. Then maybe do a Man City.

Unfortunately I'd love to think of some other team that have been able to come from the Championship (or lower) and compete at the very highest level on their own merit. but even the likes of Swansea and Southampton, although they're doing well, they're not competing at the very top. You need a boat load of money for that.

I can remember when Man City and Chelsea were at best averagely supported also rans bouncing between the top and second levels of English football. I can also remember Leeds being at the top in recent history although they nearly paid the ultimate price for their excursions.

Things can change in football, benefactors can pass away, lose interest, fall foul of bad business dealings. 

If we're in there, we're in with a shout. I can't at this time see us ever being English champions again, but it aint impossible.

Archived