Is the honeymoon spell over ?

CBE

I don't think we'll string a run like that together again because the fixture list was quite kind. When the fixtures came out I remember being worried about picking up momentum because the home games were tough and we're typically poor away. I knew December would be a great chance to make up some ground.

No, I don't think we'll have a run like that again.

But we have decent players. We try to play fast football on the floor. I can be patient with that because its a development where you earn your rewards (no luck like when you hoof it into the box 100 times over) and you get caught out sometimes.

The pace has gone a little bit as we've roughly kept the same few lads playing almost every minute of every game. The concentration levels have slipped.

The honeymoon period is over I suppose. But we're still on the up. Maybe folks got too excited.

We didnt become Barcelona overnight. All the good things said about Bryson, Martin, Buxton, Wisdom.. These didnt become bad players overnight either.

Just need to get the focus back and somehow the pace up again. We're good

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are one of the best sides in the division, we've proved that.

Tonight was horrific though, worst we've played in 4 years. We made Leicester look 20 times the side Chelsea are, that's not acceptable.

I don't really want Premier League football in all honesty, but I hate losing. It's nights like tonight that are the worst. The 170 odd quid I made off Leicester winning doesn't even come close to making up for it, just because we played THAT badly.

Next home game to Brighton, that's a perfect match to get back on track. Another poor performance in that and I would be disgusted by the side, but like tonight... it was a high pressure must win game, so what did we do? turned in a performance that rivals the Crawly and Ssausagehorpe game... a performance that I will still talk about in 4/5/6 years time.

Last season when we lost 4-1, for the majority of the game we was the better side and they had a strong start and end. This season, it was worse than the Premier League days. Individual mistakes 14 year olds wouldn't make. 

so what is the reason/excuse then? As I said, they didn't beat the Derby team at it's best. The Derby team didn't even have a shot saved. So therefore the Derby team were below par. What is the reason for this? You tell me! Don't rubbish a theory unless you have a better one!

Beaten by a better side quite simply.

Yes we were below our best, but we havent been at our best for the past few weeks. Why not? I dont know. 

We were far from convincing against lesser sides like Charlton, Huddersfield and Barnsley. Dont want to knock the run we went on, but we played a lot of out of form and bottom half sides. 

I think tonight has proven we're along way off an automatic promotion side. We're probably at a similar level to a few other clubs challenging for the play offs. Lets not get ahead of ourselves. 

It wasn't just a bad dream after all !

Beaten by a stronger, quicker and more street-wise team and not helped by a very poor Derby performance. As Pearson said, he has been building this squad for over two years and the hurt from last year has spurred them on. Steve Mac has been here around 3 months and will know where our deficiencies lie. Do we have the financial clout and desire to spend on reinforcements ? We can only hope he gets some help but our squad of young players is very much a work in progress and should be allowed time to develop.

The term 'reality check' has never been more apt for both players and supporters. A huge response is needed next week against Brighton - if not my train journey back will be a bloody nightmare !

This is an incredibly steep learning curve for our youngsters.

You learn most from making mistakes, most of which occurred in the first 20 of the second.

The lads managed well in the last 25 minutes against what Sky rightly called a"ruthless, relentless onslaught".

Full marks to Leicester for not letting up, and full marks to Derby for not conceding more!

This is an incredibly steep learning curve for our youngsters.

You learn most from making mistakes, most of which occurred in the first 20 of the second.

The lads managed well in the last 25 minutes against what Sky rightly called a"ruthless, relentless onslaught".

Full marks to Leicester for not letting up, and full marks to Derby for not conceding more!

correct 4-1 wasn't that bad at least the boys tried and kept going.

I find a good exercise is to take a long look down the league and look at how many points we are ahead of certain teams... granted we have played a game more, but the likes of Watford, Bolton... we are miles ahead on points... a reality check on all levels.

• 1 month later...

Archived