Leicester City v Derby County

Mafiabob

I am in agreement about Wardy in that respect but you could see how frustrated he was just before he got subbed with a late challenge but I wouldn't single any player out on an off night for the whole team .

I've noticed something Mac will need to address and that is Wisdom letting the ball bounce instead of getting stuck in straight away . Happened with young Keane and Bucko as well.

Still I'm upbeat about the future as after all we have a young side still learning.

I accept you can't single out any one player on a night like tonight, but ward has been playing like this for a while, and even when he was scoring goals i've never been a fan, he has too much arrogance for a player that actually a lot of the time isn't really that good, a bit like the players you used to play with at school who thought they were all that but in reality were ***** and annoying at the same time.

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Those knocking Hughes, did you actually watch the game? He was far and away our best outfield player tonight. Bucko also should take some credit.

We miss a fit Johnny Russell. I would consider starting Bennett and Bamford in the Ward/Dawkins roles. But we were exhausted and now have a week off, finally, so will have much more of a spring in our step when we face Brighton.

Disappointing result, but like some has mentioned, Leicester will always get one over us in the same way we will with Leeds. A simple case of one upping their game to cup final levels and another thinking it's merely 3 points.

We'll make the playoffs. Or at least get very close

There are 21 games remaining, we'll definitely win at least 8 which will give us 68 points minimum.

Bloody hell.

We weren't in it. They hit the woodwork several times, so it could have been worse.

I thought hughes did ok but we had little end product.

Lots of things not quite right, but i just wish we could dish out a few flying tackles once in a while.

We are poor when we don't have the ball.

HURT THE BASTRDS.

Now have a headache from drinking too much beer to try to forget it.

As I've said all along, Forsyth is just too f*cking stupid to ever be a half decent footballer.

Hendrick's touch was awful tonight, not that it's ever been brilliant, but tonight especially poor.

Hughes was probably best of a very, very **** bunch purely because he didnt really give the ball away that often. 

I'm not sure if Hendrick can break things up and get his hands dirty like Eustace. Bit more nervous now. Ah well, it's not bad when you're bringing Hendrick in to rest players!

I was right to be worried then?

He can't play there.

Not smart enough

Those knocking Hughes, did you actually watch the game? He was far and away our best outfield player tonight. Bucko also should take some credit.

We miss a fit Johnny Russell. I would consider starting Bennett and Bamford in the Ward/Dawkins roles. But we were exhausted and now have a week off, finally, so will have much more of a spring in our step when we face Brighton.

As someone who had a small rant about Hughes, it's probably best if I went a little more in depth on why I thought he was disappointing. Looking back hero ably was one of the better players tonight, but I don't think that says an awful lot.

Hughes for me hasn't been quite right for a little while now, I think when we were winning it wasn't noticed as much but now results aren't going our way, they are starting to show through. His ball retention is great, no doubt about it but sometimes I think the ball he plays let's him down. He passes very square and to feet but often it's a little too square which slows down a players momentum if they are running onto it. This is actually something that happens to ward a lot, that he doesn't receive the ball infront of him. Like tonight he just seemed, to me, slow and his build up play had little urgency. He's kinda coasting through games at the moment and he's not quite good enough to do it. Tonight in a high tempo match, it puts other players under pressure (this happened to hendrick more than once) and doesn't work.

Anyway he's a great player, still young and sometimes absolute class to watch. I just think its time for him to have a rest and get himself ready for an important few months. An on form Hughes could be so major difference to derby

Tonight's game really did **** me off. It's the worst I have seen us play in over 4 years (nearly 4 years to the day actually)

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/8443828.stm

There is absolutely nothing that can be said about that game in terms of positives, it was horrible, all over the pitch. Genuinely jaw droppingly poor.

I genuinely didn't think we had that level in our play, it was disgusting. Gutless, toothless.. idealess - If anyone had seen that side for the first time tonight, you'd think they were a banker for dead last.

horrific performance. And if really hope it's 4 years before I see another disaster like that.

Tonight's result and tonight's performance is anything but a surprise. The outcome was utterly predictable. I think it's a question of mentality for us more than anything and dealing with the pressure that comes with these kind of games. Such a fuss is made about the disparity in quality, experience and resources between teams like Leicester, QPR, Reading et al and ourselves that it must surely play on the minds of the players. Let's not forget, the majority of the squad are not far removed from the Clough era, where the attitude and mentality towards a game like yesterday's would be damage limitation, draw at best and tactically very much reactive rather than proactive or maybe even just turtle up and abandon all hope. Do we actually believe we're good enough to win games like yesterday's? Do we actually go into these games with a positive, assured outlook or simply with a fear factor? Are we mentally strong enough to deal with games where we need to prove we can hold our own with the better sides in the division? Let's be honest, Leicester are nothing special, despite how frightening we make them appear every year and certainly not the virtuoso side you would expect given their resources. Otherwise they'd have been promoted by now. We can talk about experience and quality all day. Quite honestly, I don't think there's a huge gulf in quality. Yes, they're experienced, well-drilled but more than anything they have a mental edge. But why wouldn't they? If we go into the game with the stigma that we're punching above our weight and as though we're not fit to be on the same pitch or the game is a foregone conclusion, it's no wonder an ordinary player like Lloyd Dyer suddenly plays like he's up for the Ballon D'or. If I knew the opposition were gripped by an inferiority complex, I would be playing with lots of confidence, freedom and a sense of ruthlessness too. It reminds me of an Arsene Wenger side turning up to Old Trafford if I were to draw a parallel. We have a young side and in terms of quality, we're where we are on the merit of playing football in an attractive manner but there remains a sense of fragility and naivety about us, one which we can't seem to shake.

Just finished work and no matter how bad the game was i find it hard to believe everyone has really forgotten the performances that took us from 14th to talking about automatic promotion.

From what I've read half the team need sacking and the other half need selling.

I can imagine how bad it was because I've been to that ground before and watched Leicester you with us.

We didnt win the league against Blackpool and we didnt lose it against Leicester. We're doing alright

Leicester have spent a lot of money on players.

Leicester's squad and manager have been together for 2-3 years.

Leicester will finish top 2, as will QPR.

Steve McClaren is doing fine.

We're aiming for the play offs not top 2.

We won't spend in January.

Let's get behind the players next Saturday.

We're still ahead of Florest!

Thing is, if you want to play in the PL then all those teams have had time, money and exposure that Derby haven't.

Where we want to go has far worse odds than when you play Leicester.

When I've seen Leicester at other times they've not looked a class above. They've looked well below the top 10 PL standard. Well below. They've looked like relegation scrappers all day long.

I don't know why we can't beat them there. It's a problem that's older than their money.

Voodoo curse?

Thing is, if you want to play in the PL then all those teams have had time, money and exposure that Derby haven't.

Where we want to go has far worse odds than when you play Leicester.

When I've seen Leicester at other times they've not looked a class above. They've looked well below the top 10 PL standard. Well below. They've looked like relegation scrappers all day long.

I don't know why we can't beat them there. It's a problem that's older than their money.

Voodoo curse?

Why can't Leeds beat us same thing we raise our game against them as the Foxes do against us.

Why can't Leeds beat us same thing we raise our game against them as the Foxes do against us.

I agree.

I'm only guessing but I bet Forest don't have a good record at that ground? With Billy they might do better because he creates that 'us and them' rivalry for every team they play. It's why they don't lose that many.

I don't understand bogey teams. How can one team have such a good record over another team when they're both roughly equal?

Leicester, away, sky TV... You know it's lost before kick off! Shouldn't dream of winning! Lol

I agree.

I'm only guessing but I bet Forest don't have a good record at that ground? With Billy they might do better because he creates that 'us and them' rivalry for every team they play. It's why they don't lose that many.

I don't understand bogey teams. How can one team have such a good record over another team when they're both roughly equal?

Leicester, away, sky TV... You know it's lost before kick off! Shouldn't dream of winning! Lol

its 10 games without a win against Foxes. !

As I've said all along, Forsyth is just too f*cking stupid to ever be a half decent footballer.

Hendrick's touch was awful tonight, not that it's ever been brilliant, but tonight especially poor.

Hughes was probably best of a very, very **** bunch purely because he didnt really give the ball away that often. 

The penalty mistake does not make Forsyth a bad player.  Do you think Phil Neville was not a half decent footballer 'cos he gave a way the penalty in the Euros?  Forsyth has been one of the most improved players in the team (it's his first full season of playing full back as well isn't it?).

I would have been surprised had we got anything against Leicester hence me backing them at odds against for the home win (thank you bookies).

Once again, much of the fans irritation is aimed at scapegoat Ward. Two or three poor games and suddenly one of our main attacking threats of this season and last is targeted. To suggest giving Mason Bennett a chance is laughable. Just what has he ever done in a Derby shirt to warrant more game time?

The most ineffective player for me was Dawkins. He spent the whole game either running into blind alleys or shooting from distance when he clearly doesn't have that in his locker. Direct running is fine but an occasional end product is required. He needs to study videos of Leicester's Dyer. He might learn a thing or two.

We need our captain back. That is clear. Buxton isn't a leader and Keane hasn't looked the part. Forsyth looks our best defender and then he stupidly gifts their penalty.

I would drop Hughes and have Bryson and Hendrick in the centre of midfield on current form. Just what is McClaren doing with Hughes? Under Clough he was excellent and McClaren has stated that he wants Hughes to play a different role. Clearly this different role is not working.

Clough got a lot of stick as he was guilty of trying to accommodate players even if it meant playing them out of position. McClaren is clearly guilty of doing that with Hendrick.

Another thread was started recently welcoming back Bailey. Well, Bailey is a defensive midfielder. Wouldn't he serve as a better back up to Eustace?

Archived