Leicester City v Derby County

Mafiabob

last night was a reality check of sorts - Leicester are without a doubt the strongest side in this division and proved the difference between topping the table and being in the play offs is vast! I wouldn't say we were terrible just they were so much better than us in every department! Its been a tough 3 games; none of which we could have expected 100% to win. It will be interesting to see what Mac does for the Brighton game as that in my eyes could be a season defining game which I see as a must win purely to stop the losing streak. Last night playing Hendrick DM was a mistake as he just got swamped and couldnt handle it and I feel Eustace's experience would have helped break up their play. Straight away this nullified our attacking threat as we couldn't get through midfield and with their pace in attack we never looked in it! We got a thrown a lifeline but straight away shot ourselves in the foot by giving away a daft penalty less than a minute later (which Grant got so so close to saving) which proved it probably wasn't our night. On the whole I like Forsyth but against pace he looks terrified although his crossing is probably the best in the side!

We need to learn from this as we still have a great chance of playoffs but our form against top 6 sides is something that needs rectifying, just remember until wigan we hadn't lost to a team placed below us when we played them! If we use the transfer window wisely and strengthen the right areas then we have as much chance of promotion as anyone in this league. 

Now lets take this experience and go and thrash Brighton next week!

(Ps i thought Grant was fantastic last night, made some great saves and commanded his area much better i thought, kept us in the game for the most part)

• Replies 553
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You didn't deal with the pace of Dyer or Vardy, mind you very few teams have been able to this season.

We have had a ridiculous amount of penalties go our way this season and many are down to Vardy running at players with pace.

Enjoyed last night, thanks for the 3 points (again), but really, it is just another game to us, Derby is most definitely not our cup final.

We are on our own, we want to beat everyone, we don't have a petty local rivalry. Your 'thing' with Florist almost sounds like a perverse love affair at times.

We like no one, we hate everyone.

We're Leicester City, we're all on our own.

Well done. Your the only one bringing it up. 

Are you serious?!  :rolleyes:

OK. Credibility lost.

Let's just switch our full backs around. I mean, if they're good enough to play left back then they have to be good enough to play right back.

I really have heard it all now  :blink:

Yes very serious.

Slightly different because I would not want a full back cutting inside to beat a man.

Have you never seen teams swapping their wingers over then?

Vardy was running with the ball too

Not really GStar, Vardy knocked it down the touch;line and haired after it. It was a real shock I must say, cos I thought Ward was fast as hell. Vardy must have beaten him by 3 yards over 60.

The whole night was surreal, I actually thought we looked fairly decent in the first 15 minutes, they were a threat but so were we. At the 15 minute mark, we'd had 60% and were looking really incisive going forward (till it got to dawkins).

They were just untouchable last night. I hope it was a one off but when you get tonked like that it takes a lot to pick you up.

We need a point at least against Brighton just so the doubt doesn't start to creep in.

Not really GStar, Vardy knocked it down the touch;line and haired after it. It was a real shock I must say, cos I thought Ward was fast as hell. Vardy must have beaten him by 3 yards over 60.

The whole night was surreal, I actually thought we looked fairly decent in the first 15 minutes, they were a threat but so were we. At the 15 minute mark, we'd had 60% and were looking really incisive going forward (till it got to dawkins).

They were just untouchable last night. I hope it was a one off but when you get tonked like that it takes a lot to pick you up.

We need a point at least against Brighton just so the doubt doesn't start to creep in.

Yeah you've got a point, probably wrong to suggest he was dribbling but he played the ball 3 times during the race.

Definitely need a response now just to calm the players and fans down.

Yes very serious.

Slightly different because I would not want a full back cutting inside to beat a man.

Have you never seen teams swapping their wingers over then?

Yes, I have seen it but I wouldn't say that the ability to play on the left or right is a necessity for a winger.

Ward can play on the right but his preferred role (aside from playing up front) is playing on the left.

Every wide player has a preferred side and the manager should be looking to accommodate the wide players preferred side.

I can name many International class wingers that cannot play on both sides. There are many playing in the top flight at the moment that can't. It's a totally different position.

I've not read the whole thread and I only watched until 4-1, but I'm calling that a complete shredding after the first 10 minutes. Lost stupid goals at stupid times, they could have had 8.

I'm putting a large slice of the blame on the centre halves, but I thought they missed protection from Eustace.

Forget it, move on, but we're back to earth now. Time to regroup, rethink and go again.

You didn't deal with the pace of Dyer or Vardy, mind you very few teams have been able to this season.

We have had a ridiculous amount of penalties go our way this season and many are down to Vardy running at players with pace.

Enjoyed last night, thanks for the 3 points (again), but really, it is just another game to us, Derby is most definitely not our cup final.

We are on our own, we want to beat everyone, we don't have a petty local rivalry. Your 'thing' with Florist almost sounds like a perverse love affair at times.

We like no one, we hate everyone.

We're Leicester City, we're all on our own.

That's why sang about both Derby and Forest?

And if it's just another game why are you posting on here? Do u do that against every team u play?

Yes, I have seen it but I wouldn't say that the ability to play on the left or right is a necessity for a winger.

Ward can play on the right but his preferred role (aside from playing up front) is playing on the left.

Every wide player has a preferred side and the manager should be looking to accommodate the wide players preferred side.

I can name many International class wingers that cannot play on both sides. There are many playing in the top flight at the moment that can't. It's a totally different position.

Will just have to differ with your opinion then.

Vardy did knock quite far, although i thought he took more than 2 touches, if I remember rightly, Ward was already running and facing the right way as he was coming across to cover. 

As with you I thought Wardy was/is pretty quick. Although I have to say this season he does look to have lost a yard.

Ward was arguably our best player in the first half against Chelsea. Yes, he had a poor game yesterday but so did the whole side.

You take Ward out of the side and you take out the creativity.

He remains pivotal to the side

McClaren has already given Hughes a new role which limits his creativity so without Ward, who is the creator?

Our creativity comes from great link-up / build-up play involving Martin, Bryson, Hughes, Wisdom, Forsyth AND Ward. Also Dawkins' eternal positivity and some of Buxton's balls out to the wing have been a big factor. Lots of contribution from other players too.

However, Ward has not been linking well with his teammates recently (for the most part) and hasn't been helping them out defensively. His one-touch goal the other week from Martin's pass was a good example of him working well for and with the team, but MOST performances recently have been the total opposite.

To suggest that Ward is our only source for creativity is ridiculous nowadays, but it was true during his first 1 and a half seasons.

Lets move on forget this! Hope for a couple of new faces coming in

And that’s my big worry.

On the evidence of the signings that McClaren has made to date we are heading for trouble.

Dawkins, a two year contract for a player who will not work back or hasn’t the pace to be an effective wide player. Jacobs would have been a better option given time.

Wisdon, again no pace for a full back and is repeatedly caught out of position.

Keane, totally lost on this, he came with a good reputation but has been an absolute liability. Buxton currently has to play a dual role to cover this clown. He has got to improve surely?

The three mentioned were the main culprits in delivering one of the worst displays I have ever had the misfortune to witness last night, and I’ve watched some dire performances.

If it weren’t for Grant and the woodwork, they would have notched double figures.

I fear that McClaren is slowing breaking up a good side that had excellent potential.

And that’s my big worry.

On the evidence of the signings that McClaren has made to date we are heading for trouble.

Dawkins, a two year contract for a player who will not work back or hasn’t the pace to be an effective wide player. Jacobs would have been a better option given time.

Keane, totally lost on this, he came with a good reputation but has been an absolute liability. Buxton currently has to play a dual role to cover this clown. He has got to improve surely?

The three mentioned were the main culprits in delivering one of the worst displays I have ever had the misfortune to witness last night, and I’ve watched some dire performances.

Nooooooooooooo oh noooooooo

If it weren’t for Grant and the woodwork, they would have notched double figures.

I fear that McClaren is slowing breaking up a good side that had excellent potential.

And that’s my big worry.

Please nooooo oh please I might have to have a drink after reading that. Coutts is injured. Jacobs never played in the first team. Brayford had already gone. Who else has he broke up then. He's given the current players every chance.

Dawkins has been really good as has Wisdom. Keogh is injured . Eustace is not a 90 minute man week in week out.

Keane and Whitbread are backups at the moment to Bucko and Keogh

And that’s my big worry.

How exactly has he broken up the team?

Jacobs a guy who never got a look in under NC or SMc, we sold Brayford in the summer and Freeman and Smith hardly impressed and Wisdom has been a revelation. Dawkins has played a large part in a lot of our goals, Bennent is also getting more game time and Bamford showed some promise.

Keane has been decent bar yesterday we are down to our last two fit and eligible centre backs yesterday and the lack of protection from midfield  was an issue and no Hendrick and Bryson do not lack experience, age does not equal experience, Hendrick and 21 is a full international and has played 100+ games at this level.

Massive overreaction here, no surprise after all people expect Xavi like performances from Hughes every-game and the team to dominate all 90s mins when we played against Barnsley and Doncaster, game which we won comfortably but both had spells in the game like you expect and the defence has solidified recently.

This is the first time we have been outplayed for the majority of the game, if this happens for a next few games yes you can panic but it is still early days for the new management team.

How exactly has he broken up the team?

Jacobs a guy who never got a look in under NC or SMc, we sold Brayford in the summer and Freeman and Smith hardly impressed and Wisdom has been a revelation. Dawkins has played a large part in a lot of our goals, Bennent is also getting more game time and Bamford showed some promise.

Keane has been decent bar yesterday we are down to our last two fit and eligible centre backs yesterday and the lack of protection from midfield  was an issue and no Hendrick and Bryson do not lack experience, age does not equal experience, Hendrick and 21 is a full international and has played 100+ games at this level.

Massive overreaction here, no surprise after all people expect Xavi like performances from Hughes every-game and the team to dominate all 90s mins when we played against Barnsley and Doncaster, game which we won comfortably but both had spells in the game like you expect and the defence has solidified recently.

This is the first time we have been outplayed for the majority of the game, if this happens for a next few games yes you can panic but it is still early days for the new management team.

I injected the word slowly quite deliberately. My gut feel is that his signings are poor – my opinion – and he presently has not delivered a quality player despite his reported high level contacts. One of them may develop but I doubt it.

In signing players surely they should be better than what you already have. Are they any better than Bennett, O Brien, Coutts, Freeman, Jacobs etc. I think not, and fine if you don’t agree.

And it’s not an overreaction to last nights game. This has been coming for a period of time. Over the last few games that we have won or drawn we have been hanging on for dear life. Even the 3-1 victory over Doncaster, at 2-1 Grant made a great save and we immediately went up the other end and scored. Prior to that Doncaster was giving us a football lesson and we were fortunate to win.

Archived