World Cup Draw

Shuff264

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Isn't the pre-draw just a practice before the actual thing?

They keep re-drawing until England gets a really crap one - then they release the video as if it was live.

Apparently no more than 2 nations from the same continent can be in the same group..

There are no South Americans in pot 3 or 4 and no Europeans in pot 2 or 3.. So all should be fairly easy and straight forward as it's impossible to have more than 2 from each continent anyway..

I'd love England to get a hard draw..

A group containing Germany, Chile and USA would be lovely..

If we're going to guess.. I'm going for..

Belgium, Cameroon, Honduras, England..

And we'll top the group with 2 wins and 1 draw

Re pot 4, one team will be selected at random from there and added to Pot 2.

That then brings about the complication whereby it would be technically feasible to end up with 3 European teams in one pot - therefore they have to ensure that when the European team is pulled from Pot 2, it can only be placed in with Brazil, Argentina, Colombia or Uruguay.

Not sure if anybody reads or follows South American football expert, Tim Vickery but apparently climate-wise, group G is one to avoid - all the matches are based in the very humid north east part of the country and the current schedule has games being played between 1 and 4pm.

Group H involves some travelling but is mostly based in the more mild south-east part.

Let's hope England don't get group G...I imagine many other European countries will be hoping for the same.

I think they add a team to pot 2 but then take some out and make a pot x or summit

England are in an unseeded pot of European countries but could still be moved ahead of Friday's draw for the 2014 Fifa World Cup.

Roy Hodgson's side are included in Pot 4, along with eight other European teams, for the draw in Brazil.

Beforehand, one of those teams will be drawn into Pot 2, and will face one of the four South American seeds.

Brazil start in Sao Paulo

Hosts Brazil will be allocated position A1 in Friday's draw and will play the opening match in Sao Paulo on 12 June.

No more than two European teams, or one from South America, can be drawn in the same group for next year's competition.

If England are moved to Pot 2, which contains seven African and South American teams, they would be guaranteed to face either Brazil, Argentina, Colombia or Uruguay, who will form a temporary "Pot X".

The three South American teams in "Pot X" not drawn against the European team in Pot 2 will go back into the main draw.

Should England remain in Pot 4, they could face any of the top eight seeds from Pot 1.

As hosts, Brazil will be automatically placed into Group A and the rest of the teams in each pot will be drawn into one of the eight four-team groups, bearing in mind the geographic stipulations.

"It's not easy to understand it the first time, I agree with you," said Fifa general secretary Jerome Valcke at a news conference in Costa do Sauipe where Friday's draw will take place.

"It took me some time to be sure I had the right explanation."

Hodgson has said that England's base is more important than who they will face in the World Cup.

Pot 1 (top eight seeds): Brazil, Spain, Argentina, Belgium, Colombia, Germany, Switzerland, Uruguay

Pot 2: Ivory Coast, Ghana, Algeria, Nigeria, Cameroon, Chile, Ecuador

Pot 3: Japan, Iran, South Korea, Australia, United States, Mexico, Costa Rica, Honduras

Pot 4: Bosnia-Hercegovina, Croatia, England, Greece, Italy, Netherlands, Portugal, Russia, France

Do you find yourself with spare time on your hands?

Are you creative and extravagant?

Well here at FIFA we have hundreds of people coming up with great ideas on how to improve the game. It can be extremely difficult to avoid our tasks from becoming simple and effective. That's why we're looking for hard working individuals to work towards happy and complicated results.

Please send your CV and we'll get straight back to you within 24 hours

Admission fees apply and vary.

Apparently no more than 2 nations from the same continent can be in the same group..

There are no South Americans in pot 3 or 4 and no Europeans in pot 2 or 3.. So all should be fairly easy and straight forward as it's impossible to have more than 2 from each continent anyway..

Off the top of my head, the last 2-3 tournaments we've had easy groups and played really poorly to scrape through, then got knocked out as soon as we play someone good. One outcome of this is we've played about 4-5 top teams in competition in the last 8 years.

I know our team was different but in Korea/Japan we were in the 'group of death' and romped it. Think I'd like this again. Having to give it everything against 2-3 top teams seems much more fun than struggling to do anything vs more mediocre opposition.

This is a farce. They should seed the top 8 so they avoid each other, then the rest should be straight out of the hat.

So what if England draw Germany or Cameroon draw Ghana in the group stages, surely that makes the group games more exciting. You're always going to get games people won't be interested in, that's the nature of the game, but why such a convoluted process when it should be as simple as Group A, pull a seeded team out, and then three randoms, Group B, pull a seeded team out, and then three randoms... and so on...

Belgium would whoop us Bris, and are my outside bet for the tournament.... :blink:

Archived