Those who kicked off about Cloughs sacking

Curtains

I had no satisfaction in seeing Clough sacked.

When the news came in I was arguing with my brother who was pretty gutted. But when I showed him Clough's win percentage he agreed it simply wasn't good enough realistically.

I always liked Clough but the final straw for me was Leicester away in the League Cup. We took 2,000 there, we had a 1-0 lead until the 70th minute where we decided to play negatively and let them back into it.

I was initially sceptical when McLaren arrived but upon finding out he was being made a head coach rather than a manager my opinion changed.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You are right but I think I may have got a bit silly about things lol.

It's all subjective and at the end of the day its maybe me that should just shut up now.

Well done curtains, you've pulled yourself together.

You are right but I think I may have got a bit silly about things lol.

It's all subjective and at the end of the day its maybe me that should just shut up now.

Haha....most of us get a bit "silly" on forums now and again mate.

The point is not many people will change their opinion of what happened these last 4 to 5 years.

FWIW, my own opinion is that Steve, Simmo and Eric have inherited a fairly decent set of players who are happy and comfortable (mostly) playing the ball on the floor, technically adept with a bit of flair, and have a great team spirit. They have realised the potential and harnessed it to quicken up the tempo, and play to our strengths more.

I would say that the three of them together seem an exceptionally well balanced and experienced management team.

Maybe the time was right as in all three were available. If it had of happened some time ago like a few fans wanted then who knows who we would have ended up with. Some potential nightmares out there!

All have Rams connections, all are saying the right things and most importantly, they seem to have won the players over very early and are winning football matches.

Long may it continue!

I wasn't a huge nigel fan.....i gave what i thought was fair summary of his career at derby and took some right stick off albert.

Nonetheless i thought that this season the sacking was very harsh and the timing very poor.

Schteve.....i wasn't sure about one way or the other, but he made good appointments in simmo and eric.

Its still early days as far as i'm concerned but i'm delighted with the results we're getting.

Onwards and upwards.

And albert..............come back son.........we need those graphs to see where all this is heading.

I just see it as another stage.

During the stage where we had no money, had to sell player A to bring player B, cut a ridiculous wage bill and stabilise a ship that already had its nose in the water, then on reflection, IMO, Nigel Clough was the perfect candidate for that role, which he demonstrated. He made us stable and got us playing good football towards the end of the stabilisation process.

We're now at the stage where we have a squad good enough to challenge in the top six. McClaren is hopefully the man for that. If we get promoted, will he then be the right person to take us to mid table in the Prem, and then top six? Who knows - it will probably need another change at some point.

I firmly believe we would have got there with Nige in the next couple of years, but the owners wanted us to go for it now. I hate the way it happened and to me it's broken some of the trust with Sam Rush, but the appointment looks good.

The feeling of sadness comes from the fact that in a sport full of cheating, lying, and spin, we had someone in charge who was defined by honesty, integrity and effort. He was rebuilding Derby County with people from the area and people connected to the club, and for that I find it absolutely staggering that people can say they were delighted to see him sacked. It was heartbreaking that he couldn't achieve what he set out to do, which was ultimately get us promoted.

Looking back at where we were in 2009 and where we are in 2013, I'll be eternally grateful for his work. Honestly, if you support Derby I don't see how you can feel anything but sadness that it didn't work out with Clough.

I'm fully behind the current management, the same as everyone who comes through the door, and comparisons between McClaren and Clough are pointless (different circumstances, different players available etc), but I'll always remember the previous staff fondly.

This is worth reading twice so i've quoted the whole thing!

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Let's move on now.

I've got an awful lot of people to apologise to the season  :huh:

Clough for:

Calling Martin a bad signing

Calling Eustace a bad signing

Saying Buxton wasn't good enough

Rush/board for:

Saying sacking Clough was wrong

Saying hiring Sir Steve was wrong

Sir Steve for:

Saying he wasn't good enough

Saying Dawkins was a bad signing

Chris Martin for:

Saying Sammon should start ahead of him

Saying we could have easily signed someone better

And finally Andre Wisdom for selling him a dodgy Sat Nav :ph34r:

I am sorry!  :angry:

I just see it as another stage.

During the stage where we had no money, had to sell player A to bring player B, cut a ridiculous wage bill and stabilise a ship that already had its nose in the water, then on reflection, IMO, Nigel Clough was the perfect candidate for that role, which he demonstrated. He made us stable and got us playing good football towards the end of the stabilisation process.

We're now at the stage where we have a squad good enough to challenge in the top six. McClaren is hopefully the man for that. If we get promoted, will he then be the right person to take us to mid table in the Prem, and then top six? Who knows - it will probably need another change at some point.

I firmly believe we would have got there with Nige in the next couple of years, but the owners wanted us to go for it now. I hate the way it happened and to me it's broken some of the trust with Sam Rush, but the appointment looks good.

The feeling of sadness comes from the fact that in a sport full of cheating, lying, and spin, we had someone in charge who was defined by honesty, integrity and effort. He was rebuilding Derby County with people from the area and people connected to the club, and for that I find it absolutely staggering that people can say they were delighted to see him sacked. It was heartbreaking that he couldn't achieve what he set out to do, which was ultimately get us promoted.

Looking back at where we were in 2009 and where we are in 2013, I'll be eternally grateful for his work. Honestly, if you support Derby I don't see how you can feel anything but sadness that it didn't work out with Clough.

I'm fully behind the current management, the same as everyone who comes through the door, and comparisons between McClaren and Clough are pointless (different circumstances, different players available etc), but I'll always remember the previous staff fondly.

Whilst I took no pleasure in Clough being sacked (I remember being totally stunned), I think it's going a bit overboard to paint him as some sort of Mother Theresa figure in a world full of shady characters.  There were many sides of him which quite a few people found unpleasant - the way he publicly chastised players, his refusal to entertain the posibility that his tactics might not have been correct for a given game.  Personally one thing which I found less than charming was his demeanour on the touchline; constantly haranguing the 4th official, windmilling his arms in rage everytime we were denied a free-kick.  OK, lots of managers do that, but plenty don't.

A few players (Tyson, Addison, Maguire, Dave Martin) were known to remark that they felt their treatment was 'strange' - a sentiment which was common from all of them - and I recall once when questioned about player selection by Ed Dawes he responded with what can only be described as a sneer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry it didn't work out with him.  The romance of a Clough returning to DCFC and leading us back to glory was a strong pull for many people, and even I would have relished it.  He's a Derby fan, that much is clear, and I want anyone who feels for this club to succeed (even when he was managing us I utterly despised Billy Davies).  But he's not a martyr.

It's a typical response of someone defending Clough to make a joke out something that makes him look bad.

He was nasty and I don't like bully's.

I'm not necessarily defending Clough, it was a pretty straightforward question albeit with a subtle little poke at your username.

Most posts you make seem to take it to a personal level about him, so I was just wondering if you had a personal experience to back up your opinion. Usually if one has such a strong personal dislike for someone there is some kind of first hand experience to base that on rather than forming an opinion based on bits and pieces of second hand information, which ignore all the good things that are said about him too might I add...

I just think it's quite a strong opinion and judgement of Nigel as a person unless it was based on something you had personally experienced.

For what it's worth I think some of his methods in terms of player relationships seemed a little off kilter but I have absolutely no first hand evidence to say what Nigel is actually like as a person but to me as an onlooker, I thought he seemed a fairly level headed kind of guy, who for the most part seemed to have good relationship with most of his players.

The few that have come out and said certain things are the ones who have fallen out of favour, so I don't think it's necessarily fair to take what they say as gospel, that's just their opinion / experience. None of them have come out and said he was a bully or nasty though as far as I am aware.

I'm not expecting you to go into any details, your posts rarely go beyond a sentence, I'm just interested to know what you're basing your opinion on.

I'm not necessarily defending Clough, it was a pretty straightforward question albeit with a subtle little poke at your username.

Most posts you make seem to take it to a personal level about him, so I was just wondering if you had a personal experience to back up your opinion. Usually if one has such a strong personal dislike for someone there is some kind of first hand experience to base that on rather than forming an opinion based on bits and pieces of second hand information, which ignore all the good things that are said about him too might I add...

I just think it's quite a strong opinion and judgement of Nigel as a person unless it was based on something you had personally experienced.

For what it's worth I think some of his methods in terms of player relationships seemed a little off kilter but I have absolutely no first hand evidence to say what Nigel is actually like as a person but to me as an onlooker, I thought he seemed a fairly level headed kind of guy, who for the most part seemed to have good relationship with most of his players.

The few that have come out and said certain things are the ones who have fallen out of favour, so I don't think it's necessarily fair to take what they say as gospel, that's just their opinion / experience. None of them have come out and said he was a bully or nasty though as far as I am aware.

I'm not expecting you to go into any details, your posts rarely go beyond a sentence, I'm just interested to know what you're basing your opinion on.

Did you not listen to his interviews when we lost?

Like a mardy little boy lambasting individuals in public is bullying.

Can't stand him the same way some can't stand Billy Davies/ Warnock but to me he's far more unpleasant than the pair of them.

Ask some of the players now that NC has left. Ask some of the parents of the younger players and academy players. There was/is the accusation that he was a bully and total ******** to certain people, those who struggled to tow the line, and was brilliant with those that did.

I get the feeling that to some extent, managers in every business are like that. I struggled to be patient with people who made the same mistakes over and over again and struggled to listen to simple details and follow simple instructions.

Archived