Those who kicked off about Cloughs sacking

Curtains

sorry new on here  just a few words to the clough bashers the team against wigan had 11 of nigels team in it what is done is done right or wrong we supporters off the club go on its to early to say whats right or wrong we leave that to history i say good luck nigel you derserve it and steve mac carry on we can debate this when this team breaks up and we can look at are we better or worse

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

that's fair enough on your part, but you have to make allowances for those that are less intelligent than yourself, about 98% of us by your reckoning ;)

I do have certain posters' words in my head sometimes and I do occasionally want to let rip with a reminder of how my opinion stayed focussed on Nigel/Board/Football/Derby and their opinion focussed on me, personally. Yes, I should know better, this is the internet. I always tried to counter the personal stuff by saying that I'd gladly say the same thing in the pub and nobody would be offended... but don't expect people to forget being vilified for having the honesty to speak their mind.

I'm sorry I didn't want our manager of 5 years sacked who built this team and replaced by a man who took play off Forest and turned them into a laughing stock.

I'm also sorry that I said Man City are ***** in 2005 and the Leicester will get promoted after spending £20m

I was upset by the manor in which Clough was sacked. The only problem I ever had with Clough was his unwarranted negativity. This negativity is the only thing that stopped us from making the play off's last season. I have always professed that we are a great passing and attacking side and we are seeing more of it under Steve. But let's not forget who signed the players in the starting line up. 

I could never understand the backroom staff of coaches Clough had working with him. So I suppose that is two problems. Let us not forget Clough's circumstances. Many a manager would have done far worse or walked away. 

No, I've never been in counselling or therapy - my marbles are intact.

This entire thread (and the reasons behind it) comes across as sad, predictable and really epitomises what I have suspected about the mental fragility and basic insecurity of some folk. If someone thinks that it is important that people throw their hands up in some form of faux surrender and lavish praise upon somebody who held an opinion - actually not to lavish praise upon them but to apologise to them - then clearly that person and I are never going to see eye to eye.

From my own perspective I don't feel resentment to the thread starter - I do however feel complete and utter exasperation that someone actually needed to rake over something it took me two days to come to terms with and 45 minutes (the second half against Ipswich) to accept.

V

I've even stopped sticking pins in effigies of Sam Rush because it wasn't the decision even that riled me - just the manner in which it was handled.

It could also be the best trolling I've seen since the Billy Goats Gruff trip-trapped over the bridge.

You are right I will never agree with you.

Trolling I'm good at that but who cares Clough is history thank goodness

I just see it as another stage.

During the stage where we had no money, had to sell player A to bring player B, cut a ridiculous wage bill and stabilise a ship that already had its nose in the water, then on reflection, IMO, Nigel Clough was the perfect candidate for that role, which he demonstrated. He made us stable and got us playing good football towards the end of the stabilisation process.

We're now at the stage where we have a squad good enough to challenge in the top six. McClaren is hopefully the man for that. If we get promoted, will he then be the right person to take us to mid table in the Prem, and then top six? Who knows - it will probably need another change at some point.

I firmly believe we would have got there with Nige in the next couple of years, but the owners wanted us to go for it now. I hate the way it happened and to me it's broken some of the trust with Sam Rush, but the appointment looks good.

The feeling of sadness comes from the fact that in a sport full of cheating, lying, and spin, we had someone in charge who was defined by honesty, integrity and effort. He was rebuilding Derby County with people from the area and people connected to the club, and for that I find it absolutely staggering that people can say they were delighted to see him sacked. It was heartbreaking that he couldn't achieve what he set out to do, which was ultimately get us promoted.

Looking back at where we were in 2009 and where we are in 2013, I'll be eternally grateful for his work. Honestly, if you support Derby I don't see how you can feel anything but sadness that it didn't work out with Clough.

I'm fully behind the current management, the same as everyone who comes through the door, and comparisons between McClaren and Clough are pointless (different circumstances, different players available etc), but I'll always remember the previous staff fondly.

To be honest, I and many other expect a full apology for the way we were treated.

Treated like dogs for stating the obvious, I've wanted Clough out for at least 35 years, but none of you would listen.

I was right and you were all wrong, now say sorry.

How can you be right, living in bloody East Kent? Biggest admission of guilt I've ever witnessed. I'm only surprised that there isn't a place near Margate called "Itsafaircopguv"

I just see it as another stage.

During the stage where we had no money, had to sell player A to bring player B, cut a ridiculous wage bill and stabilise a ship that already had its nose in the water, then on reflection, IMO, Nigel Clough was the perfect candidate for that role, which he demonstrated. He made us stable and got us playing good football towards the end of the stabilisation process.

We're now at the stage where we have a squad good enough to challenge in the top six. McClaren is hopefully the man for that. If we get promoted, will he then be the right person to take us to mid table in the Prem, and then top six? Who knows - it will probably need another change at some point.

I firmly believe we would have got there with Nige in the next couple of years, but the owners wanted us to go for it now. I hate the way it happened and to me it's broken some of the trust with Sam Rush, but the appointment looks good.

The feeling of sadness comes from the fact that in a sport full of cheating, lying, and spin, we had someone in charge who was defined by honesty, integrity and effort. He was rebuilding Derby County with people from the area and people connected to the club, and for that I find it absolutely staggering that people can say they were delighted to see him sacked. It was heartbreaking that he couldn't achieve what he set out to do, which was ultimately get us promoted.

Looking back at where we were in 2009 and where we are in 2013, I'll be eternally grateful for his work. Honestly, if you support Derby I don't see how you can feel anything but sadness that it didn't work out with Clough.

I'm fully behind the current management, the same as everyone who comes through the door, and comparisons between McClaren and Clough are pointless (different circumstances, different players available etc), but I'll always remember the previous staff fondly.

Yes, I'll feel sad it didn't work out for/with Clough, but I'm convinced Clough held himself back and the club back more than Sam Rush did.

Yes, I'll feel sad it didn't work out for/with Clough, but I'm convinced Clough held himself back and the club back more than Sam Rush did.

I'm not disagreeing with this.

It's arguable as to how much further 'slow steady improvement' could really have taken us. There comes a point where you think you are still progressing but you are standing still. Regarding Sam Rush - he was here for less than 20% of Clough's time in charge, so it would be unfair to accuse him of doing anything to hold the club back - the opposite appears to be the case to the point of Rush actually putting a large boot up its arse.

I'm sorry for ever defending Clough. McMuffin was right, he was a cnut. Motsyn was right, especially his libellious hearsay accusations. Sideshowbob was right and defintely not a troll. Troydyer was right, especially when he only ever posted one line of bile after a loss. Nottsram was right, never more so when he was laughing at Clough's sacking, although he seem to have disappeared after slating McClaren. Bris was right, apart from Peteborough away.

To be honest, this forum was getting unbearable towards the end of Clough reign of terror. As soon as the final whistle went, all those pro-cloughers would come on here and make personal comments about posters who they knew disagreed. Then the anti-clough heroes would calmly point out every single one of his failings in a mature and constructive way.

I've heard sideshow bob will be starting a thread tomorrow if we win with a brilliant tactical analysis of Clough vs Steve so we can all say sorry to him too.

Ps sorry curtains, I always skipped over your posts without reading. I guess you were one of the anti-clough martyrs too. I salute you comrade, you must have gone to hell and back.

Archived