Those who kicked off about Cloughs sacking

Curtains

Don't get the thread people are entitled to opinions.

I was suprised to see the hate john hartson got for giving his view that we wont reach the prem under Steve; he as everyone is entitled to a view.

Can you link me to that please, would be interested to read it.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Nigel Clough has managed 947 games... Steve McClaren has managed 474. 

So experience i.e games played then Clough has more

474 as a Manager yes that's correct winning trophies with Boro and Twente etc.

As 1st team coach at Man U and Derby had countless success though .

To me that's what I call experience.

474 as a Manager yes that's correct winning trophies with Boro and Twente etc.

As 1st team coach at Man U and Derby had countless success though .

To me that's what I call experience.

well travelled, yes.

I wouldn't call Clough inexperienced though, no manager closing in 1000 games should ever be called inexperienced.

Nigel Clough is a good manager, and yet to fail - yet to really set the world alight either, but I could never call him a bad manager.

We deserve an apology as McClaren is clearly doing a great job. For all the doubters about Mac what do you say now as I think it was disrespectful !

This is all a bit silly and childish again Curtains, I don't recall anyone insulting you, I can't remember anyone being disrespectful to Steve McClaren. A few put their opinions over for and against SM and why shouldn't they? Why you want an apology for people having a different view to you is beyond ridiclous.

I thought that the timing regarding NC leaving was not very nice, but the fact is, with very, very few exceptions, in the same way that a team has to frequently be refreshed, the same can be applied to the teams management. Clubs can often benefit from a change of management and it looks like Derby have. In the same way, a manager and his staff can also benefit from a change of scenery. Football is football, players come and players go, managers come and managers go and the World still keeps going round and the Sun keeps popping up!!!

The vast majority who "kicked off" about Clough's sacking weren't complaining about the sacking itself, but more the manner in which it is done. No matter how well McClaren does, that criticism won't fade away.

I don't go for that argument myself. I'm sure Clough was aware of the pressure he was under, and he didn't seem to change much. And if he's looking for a safe job, he shouldn't be in football. I get why people didn't like the manner of the sacking though. I don't want an apology from anyone.

Besides, did we really "kick off"? Ukranians throwing bricks at the Police in protest, that's kicking off. Brazillians setting off fireworks in their protests, that's kicking off. In fact, Hull fans actually making some banners....that's kicking off.

Half a dozen strong-worded threads on a football forum? That is not kicking off.

I'd normally agree, but to have a clean start/break, people need to get everything off their chest BEFORE they can move on. Consider it cyber-therapy!!

It's childish, churlish, spiteful, divisive and pathetic point-scoring and one-upmanship.

It's childish, churlish, spiteful, divisive and pathetic point-scoring and one-upmanship.

Have you ever been in therapy / counselling?

Harbouring resentment is NONE of the things you mention above. Clearly this article is based on resentment from debates gone past previously.

I was very sad to see Nigel Clough be sacked. I thought he was building steadily and could clearly see the quality of many players like Hughes, Hendrick, Martin, Ward and Russell. Though I was becoming less active in supporting him against the " Clough Out" brigade.

Just 7 days prior to the Florist match I had a conversation with an ex Rams player and we both agreed that maybe it was going to take Nigel too long, or not at all to take us up and the time might be coming where GSE say " thanks for the great job you have done stabilising DCFC and the incredible job you have done with the academy...but we now feel the time is right to let a.n.other carry on your good work".

His sacking after that orrible game came as a shock still. Took some time to sink in. Even if Steve Mac, Simmo and Eric get us promoted, win the prem, the cup and the champions league I will never concede that sacking Nigel Clough hours after a Florist game was not only cruel but could have been handled better. He deserved a better out and it was a poor poor way to finish the Cloughs at Derby County.

However..taking all this onboard..I awaited with baited breath to see what the following days, weeks, months would bring and have been delighted by the outcome so far under the new staff. More than delighted really. Bottom line is I am a DCFC fan and only want the best for my beloved club.

So I wont apologise to you Curtains or anyone for my previous support of Nigel Clough or my shock and disappointment at his sacking.

I might have had misplaced loyalty. Many do...its football after all and loyalty is a fans lot in my book. We have been wrong before ( yes you too Curtains) and we will be wrong again. Should we be apologising or just singing our hearts out for the team and backing them?

I live ( from a sports fan point of view) to support my team, my club and live in hope of better times. What do you live for? Having people say " you were right"? How churllish.

Apologise? No......

What a post. Agree entirely.

As for an apology? Got more chance of finding chicken teeth, good luck with that... ;-)

Eddie! is that you ? i was sat next to you i think at the F.A. cup game against Man U..... i was with my dad, it was my 1st game, remember  :D

NFB?

Norman Bates? I'd be careful being around you if I was having a shower.

I was certainly at the game (Whiteside scored) but I've no idea who I was sat next to that day in the Ley Stand.

Of course, nobody called me 'Eddie' for at least another 10 years after that.

Have you ever been in therapy / counselling?

Harbouring resentment is NONE of the things you mention above. Clearly this article is based on resentment from debates gone past previously.

No, I've never been in counselling or therapy - my marbles are intact.

This entire thread (and the reasons behind it) comes across as sad, predictable and really epitomises what I have suspected about the mental fragility and basic insecurity of some folk. If someone thinks that it is important that people throw their hands up in some form of faux surrender and lavish praise upon somebody who held an opinion - actually not to lavish praise upon them but to apologise to them - then clearly that person and I are never going to see eye to eye.

From my own perspective I don't feel resentment to the thread starter - I do however feel complete and utter exasperation that someone actually needed to rake over something it took me two days to come to terms with and 45 minutes (the second half against Ipswich) to accept.

I've even stopped sticking pins in effigies of Sam Rush because it wasn't the decision even that riled me - just the manner in which it was handled.

It could also be the best trolling I've seen since the Billy Goats Gruff trip-trapped over the bridge.

When SM was @ Forest, we wanted him to fail because he was the Forest manager, not because it was SM...?

Personally felt some slight relief when NC got the push even though the way it was done seemed wrong, but there is no sentiment in business full stop.

I will hold my hands up though... I was disappointed by the SM appointment, but he and his team (to date) have very much proved me oh so wrong... good work SM, PS, ES.

No, I've never been in counselling or therapy - my marbles are intact.

This entire thread (and the reasons behind it) comes across as sad, predictable and really epitomises what I have suspected about the mental fragility and basic insecurity of some folk. If someone thinks that it is important that people throw their hands up in some form of faux surrender and lavish praise upon somebody who held an opinion - actually not to lavish praise upon them but to apologise to them - then clearly that person and I are never going to see eye to eye.

From my own perspective I don't feel resentment to the thread starter - I do however feel complete and utter exasperation that someone actually needed to rake over something it took me two days to come to terms with and 45 minutes (the second half against Ipswich) to accept.

I've even stopped sticking pins in effigies of Sam Rush because it wasn't the decision even that riled me - just the manner in which it was handled.

It could also be the best trolling I've seen since the Billy Goats Gruff trip-trapped over the bridge.

that's fair enough on your part, but you have to make allowances for those that are less intelligent than yourself, about 98% of us by your reckoning ;)

I do have certain posters' words in my head sometimes and I do occasionally want to let rip with a reminder of how my opinion stayed focussed on Nigel/Board/Football/Derby and their opinion focussed on me, personally. Yes, I should know better, this is the internet. I always tried to counter the personal stuff by saying that I'd gladly say the same thing in the pub and nobody would be offended... but don't expect people to forget being vilified for having the honesty to speak their mind.

Oh I like that. Voodoo dolls of chairmen and managers! Is there a range you can buy? Do they do a Tommy Docherty one or a Mourinho one?

We could be onto a fortune here DCFC Fans members. Just think of the range spread.

We could send B4 onto Dragons Den with an Andy Appelby effergy and kara....te mat.

Archived