Those who kicked off about Cloughs sacking

Curtains

Did you not listen to his interviews when we lost?

Like a mardy little boy lambasting individuals in public is bullying.

Can't stand him the same way some can't stand Billy Davies/ Warnock but to me he's far more unpleasant than the pair of them.

So you're basing you're opinion that he's a horrible piece of work based on post match interviews, where he comments on his disappointment about certain players' performances?

Not exactly a fair trial but you're obviously entitled to that opinion, just feels a little strong considering your knowledge of him beyond a few on camera comments is limited to say the very least.

I'll leave it there, good luck to you though McMuffin, I hope you do find happiness in life.

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ask some of the players now that NC has left. Ask some of the parents of the younger players and academy players. There was/is the accusation that he was a bully and total ******** to certain people, those who struggled to tow the line, and was brilliant with those that did.

I get the feeling that to some extent, managers in every business are like that. I struggled to be patient with people who made the same mistakes over and over again and struggled to listen to simple details and follow simple instructions.

I don't doubt those accusations have an element of truth at all, one of the things that disappointed me about him to be honest because to all other intents and purposes I thought it came across as a pretty decent sort of bloke.

His father made an incredibly successful career out of that style of management!

Weird how it seems to be 'okay' to be a bully or a disciplinarian so long as you're successful though ain't it?!

Anyway, I'm sure this has been done enough times!

So you're basing you're opinion that he's a horrible piece of work based on post match interviews, where he comments on his disappointment about certain players' performances?

Not exactly a fair trial but you're obviously entitled to that opinion, just feels a little strong considering your knowledge of him beyond a few on camera comments is limited to say the very least.

I'll leave it there, good luck to you though McMuffin, I hope you do find happiness in life.

Last comment a bit personal (a Clough trait)

I'm very happy thanks Derby county is buzzing with post Clough positivity, the attendances are rising, the bad man has been replaced by a top bloke and we can go 4th tonight yaaaaaay!!!

Last comment a bit personal (a Clough trait)

I'm very happy thanks Derby county is buzzing with post Clough positivity, the attendances are rising, the bad man has been replaced by a top bloke and we can go 4th tonight yaaaaaay!!!

Good for you, well done for getting the last word x

Whilst I took no pleasure in Clough being sacked (I remember being totally stunned), I think it's going a bit overboard to paint him as some sort of Mother Theresa figure in a world full of shady characters.  There were many sides of him which quite a few people found unpleasant - the way he publicly chastised players, his refusal to entertain the posibility that his tactics might not have been correct for a given game.  Personally one thing which I found less than charming was his demeanour on the touchline; constantly haranguing the 4th official, windmilling his arms in rage everytime we were denied a free-kick.  OK, lots of managers do that, but plenty don't.

A few players (Tyson, Addison, Maguire, Dave Martin) were known to remark that they felt their treatment was 'strange' - a sentiment which was common from all of them - and I recall once when questioned about player selection by Ed Dawes he responded with what can only be described as a sneer.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sorry it didn't work out with him.  The romance of a Clough returning to DCFC and leading us back to glory was a strong pull for many people, and even I would have relished it.  He's a Derby fan, that much is clear, and I want anyone who feels for this club to succeed (even when he was managing us I utterly despised Billy Davies).  But he's not a martyr.

Not making out he's a martyr, but he's a good bloke and he's honest, and there aren't many of those people around. For every Tyson, Addison, Maguire and Martin there's a Hughes, Brayford, Hendrick, Martin who will have good things to say about him. When you manage a team of 30 odd people, in any industry, you'll p*ss some people off. There's also two sides to every story - he just didn't get roped in to arguing his side, which I think is called professionalism.

You're dead right about harrassing the 4th official (not something which I think many will define his time here by), lots do it so it's barely worth mentioning.

Tactically he did have shortfalls and that perhaps is why it didn't work - I was just saying it was sad it didn't work, because I like him. And I think many others do.

Not making out he's a martyr, but he's a good bloke and he's honest, and there aren't many of those people around. For every Tyson, Addison, Maguire and Martin there's a Hughes, Brayford, Hendrick, Martin who will have good things to say about him. When you manage a team of 30 odd people, in any industry, you'll p*ss some people off. There's also two sides to every story - he just didn't get roped in to arguing his side, which I think is called professionalism.

You're dead right about harrassing the 4th official (not something which I think many will define his time here by), lots do it so it's barely worth mentioning.

Tactically he did have shortfalls and that perhaps is why it didn't work - I was just saying it was sad it didn't work, because I like him. And I think many others do.

With regard to the professionalism part, I recall when we were in talks with that lad from Crewe (Kelvin Mellor or something?), and when the contract talks broke down Clough told the media that Mellor had been disparaging about Crewe during the interview, and that he'd 'gone off to Ibiza with his mates' rather than start pre-season training.  Now, correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't it decidedly unprofessional to reveal what was said in a confidential meeting, with the sole intention of landing the player in trouble with his club because Nigel was bitter he didn't sign for us?

And yes, as I said, plenty of managers do harass the 4th official.  But he did it virtually non-stop for 90 mins, chewing the bloke's ear off for every throw-in, foul or offside decision.  He's hardly Bobby Robson.

You are right but I think I may have got a bit silly about things lol.

It's all subjective and at the end of the day its maybe me that should just shut up now.

Live for today!

Were on a great run,good squad & great feel good factor around the club

Amazing turnaround,in everybody's expectations now,and excitement of watching the games

Worst thread ever

Like I said, the whole thing was pointless. Some people are very insecure though, and need people to be consistently telling them they have achieved something. Perhaps we ought to look upon this thread as a form of therapy. Perhaps that's what Mostyn was hinting at yesterday.

Like I said, the whole thing was pointless. Some people are very insecure though, and need people to be consistently telling them they have achieved something. Perhaps we ought to look upon this thread as a form of therapy. Perhaps that's what Mostyn was hinting at yesterday.

You seem addicted to it though lol.

PS I took along time for some to get over the first Clough seems to be the same again.

Time to focus on Middlesbrough I think

Archived