The Future of Sammon

Finchley_Ram

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You don't develop a good touch with age. I haven't written him off as such. I am saying I don't think he will reach the heights we all hoped for.

I'd tend to disagree. Cast your mind back to the Dean Sturridge that broke through in the early nineties, then compare him to the Dean Sturridge after some good coaching (from McClaren) five years later.

Oh, how bizarre.... Dean Sturridge is now commentating on the highlights I'm watching on Sky!!

I'd tend to disagree. Cast your mind back to the Dean Sturridge that broke through in the early nineties, then compare him to the Dean Sturridge after some good coaching (from McClaren) five years later.

Oh, how bizarre.... Dean Sturridge is now commentating on the highlights I'm watching on Sky!!

Mason's poor touch is down to nerves and also a lack of believe. He can beat most for pace and knocks the ball past them. This appears to be a bad touch to those not in the know but the approach is absolutely perfect. When he begins to believe in himself he will start to run at players more and also beat more players with his technique. I remember when Torres used to do it. He would knock the ball passed his marker over 5,10 or 15 yards and look lightning quick leaving them for dead. 

People forget Mason is 17. I have seen Mason play and his touch has been good. He has struggled last couple of games and it has not been going for him but he has always shown that bit of class like that mazy run against Wigan. He is so strong for 17 and can score goals.

Give him time.

How I've viewed Mason's game is his 1st touch generally brings the ball under control, but his 2nd or 3rd touch (specifically when he is out wide) when he is trying to force something to happen has not been as good. I think that happens a lot with young players, especially attacking ones and does require some patience. I personally have more appetite for patience with a player at Mason's stage in development than Sammons.

Getting Sammon off the wage bill and selling him for a reasonable price would probably free up enough money to get an okay striker in (considering McClaren's links). However, I doubt w'd find anyone willing to buy him and he offers something a bit tactically different to Martin; the system we play now isn't going to work 100% every game. Sometimes a change up is needed, Sammon's strength and speed is something we can't get from Martin.

I think Sammon is useful as back up/late cameo to piss defenders off with his running at the moment. 
I'd only let him go if we were certain to get somebody better in.

Rumours in the summer were that Vaz Te was being shipped out by West Ham, in a dream world I'd love to see us bring someone like him in, lots of ability and can play up the middle or out wide. Anyway I'm going back to football manager now...

Well, as I have said, in my opinion he will not reach the heights we hope for. Jacobs on the other hand I feel is a better prospect. Quite prepared to give Mason time and in no way writing him off as a footballer. His first touch is not the best and is not natural for a player using the art of good ball control whilst running with the ball. I agree he can chase a ball but not run with it under control.

I'd say he does have a future here; he's a very useful impact sub to hassle and harry tired defences towards the end of a game as well as being Martin's natural successor as he's the only other 'physical' striker - so yes he does in my opinion and I think Mac knows better than to offload him in January

Must admit I think Bennett is a bit of a weak point in the side. Seems to try and run through defenders rather than round them?

I realise he's 17 and still has years to improve, just don't think he looks ready for the first team. Might be judging him to Hughes standards which possibly is unfair, but if he's in the first team he needs to be on it. Personally feel Jacobs would be better off here and Bennett out on loan.

Think Bennett will be a good footballer, not in the same class as Hughes though. I'm convinced Hughes will play for England for a long time, Bennett I'd be shocked to play for England at all.

Time will tell

Bennett is above Sammon in Maccas eyes too it seems. And so he should be. Hes a kid with a huge amount of potential.

I think the Sammon being the perfect replacement for Martin is a difficult one. People still see Sammon as a big target man. There is one reason for that, his size. It certainly isn't his ability to be a target man. He doesn't win balls in the air, and he doesn't hold it up.

Sammon is far more effective when the ball is played to feet, thus rendering his size, irrelevant.

Ward, Dawkins, Russell, Bennett can all play that role in that case.

He doesn't have a future here and I doubt with such an inflated transfer fee, he'd be on 500 quid a week.

If Sammon comes on and snatches a winner a few times this season as he did at Watford he will be an important player for us.  He doesn't even have to score a goal to win games/points for us, bringing him on at 20 mins to go when we are winning or drawing and the opposition are pushing forward can be very effective as he will occupy defenders more than a tired Martin.

However, I expect a big change around of players in the summer.  I think Sammon will be poached by someone then!

If Sammon comes on and snatches a winner a few times this season as he did at Watford he will be an important player for us.  He doesn't even have to score a goal to win games/points for us, bringing him on at 20 mins to go when we are winning or drawing and the opposition are pushing forward can be very effective as he will occupy defenders more than a tired Martin.

However, I expect a big change around of players in the summer.  I think Sammon will be poached by someone then!

This is clearly his best role. But firstly, I don't think he could be happy with that being his role full time, and secondly, what a waste of £1.2m

Archived