The Future of Sammon

Finchley_Ram

Sammon has no long term future here, especially considering his wages and the fact that he is not really a direct replacement for Martin, he's a different type of player to Martin. Martin can hold the ball, which is vital to our play, Sammon can't do this.

We ideally need to move him on and bring in someone who can play in the Martin role when needed. 

And there is the big problem, moving an expensive and not very good player out the door, it's Tyson mark ii. Chris Evans it's over to you.

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply

you're all making the assumption that McClaren ONLY had a plan A and will only use that sole plan!

To suggest he's no use because he's not a direct swap for Chris Martin is pure folly. I think Sammon will play some pivotal part in certain games towards the latter part of the season, simply because of how different he is. 

I think, for what's it's worth, he's out of the firing line and focussing on gettin his head right. Those misses v Leicester were awful, so he needs coaxing into confidence and fans to forget his misses.

If a decent offer comes in, maybe he'll leave, but don't expect him to be uninvolved.

you're all making the assumption that McClaren ONLY had a plan A and will only use that sole plan!

To suggest he's no use because he's not a direct swap for Chris Martin is pure folly. I think Sammon will play some pivotal part in certain games towards the latter part of the season, simply because of how different he is. 

When you say "you're ALL making the assumption.." you forgot to exclude me - I made the same point as you. He's an option

I think, for what's it's worth, he's out of the firing line and focussing on gettin his head right. Those misses v Leicester were awful, so he needs coaxing into confidence and fans to forget his misses.

I agree with all that mostyn, spot on. At some point our system is going to draw a blank, someone will get injured or suspended and Sammo will be needed. We've got a good squad now, everyone will have a part to play, Sammon has already proved his worth with the winner at Watford. His attitude alone makes him worth having around for me.

On the bit i've quoted do we know if SM has brought in or is using a sports psychologist at all? Think that kind of thing would benefit the likes of Sammon to get over a miss and have yhe confidence to stick the next one away.

People are always too eager to write people off. We're back to the 'my opinion is the only one I will ever accept, I have made my judgement and there it is lalalalalalala'.

Sad really.

Anyone remember when Will Hughes made his debut? I can't be arsed to check, but I'd wager that people were writing him off on the basis of one performance. Mason Bennett gets stick from some and he's only 17, for God's sake. It took a goal against Forest for Jeff Hendrick to come of age, yet a few minutes before he was pathetic according to some because he'd missed a glorious chance.

I agree with all that mostyn, spot on. At some point our system is going to draw a blank, someone will get injured or suspended and Sammo will be needed. We've got a good squad now, everyone will have a part to play, Sammon has already proved his worth with the winner at Watford. His attitude alone makes him worth having around for me.

On the bit i've quoted do we know if SM has brought in or is using a sports psychologist at all? Think that kind of thing would benefit the likes of Sammon to get over a miss and have yhe confidence to stick the next one away.

I heard him mention Bill Beswick in a snippet of the moan-in last night, in what context to the club, I don't know, but he used him at Middlesbrough and England.

I agree with some when they say Sammon hasn't really got a future as a Derby player. I do like how hard he works and the fact he has a good level of pace.

However, for me his touch isn't good enough and his finishing is woeful so I don't fancy him either as a hold up striker or a poacher. I'd put him behind Martin, Russell, Ward, Bennett and Dawkins in the squad and although the latter three are all of a similar ilk (i.e. quick, skilful players who can operate out wide) Sammon can't compete with Martin for the Centre forward role.

To add to this, I'd imagine his wages are quite high so I'd like to see him sold in January to make way for either a poacher or a Martin type hold up player. 

I heard him mention Bill Beswick in a snippet of the moan-in last night, in what context to the club, I don't know, but he used him at Middlesbrough and England.

Ah I'll have to have a listen back - he first worked with him at Derby actually under Jim Smith. He's been to pretty much every club with him since. The Forest players didn't get on with him by all accounts.

Wonder what the response would be if we offered him to Sheffield United for half-a-million

Unlikely, I think even Clough had started to lose patients with Sammon this season.

Also Sheff Utd already have a donkey up front by the name of Chris Porter :rolleyes:

Bill Beswick is at the Middlesboro game. He is working a lot with the Rugby Union set up at the moment but it seems like we may be trying to get him in at least in a consultative role.

He's a good player at this level. I don't see how he fits in to this style but you can't just have one style - there's going to be a need for a bit of roughhousing against teams and he's probably our best player when it comes to chasing.

Been a couple of games under SMc where I remember thinking he'd have been useful on the pitch but didn't come on. Not sure if you can really read in to that.

Totally different players but right now as we speak I'd have him ahead of Bennett, given our skill and pace elsewhere on the pitch.

As an aside I've always thought he'd be a decent CM - he's fit, physical and I reckon he'd break up attacks play pretty well. He looks like he played up top at school and no one thought to try anything different.

With Macca stating he wants to sign Dawkins, DCFC may have too many strikers..

Martins

Russell

Ward

Dawkins

Bennett

Sammon

With Sammon at the bottom of the picking order and january coming, shall we sell him or do you think he still has a future?

That's two to every position. How is that too many? It is exactly right. 

Agree with the Bennett comments. Jacobs is way ahead of Mason at the moment for me. Still very much undecided on Mason as to whether he will make it at this level. His first touch has been very poor lately and you can't teach that. Either he has it or he doesn't. :(

He's 17. You're talking rubbish. 

He's 17. Your talking rubbish. 

Bit quick to write off I agree, but he's in the first team and therefore needs to perform as such now, which I'm yet to see.

I think a loan move for him would have been good and keep Jacobs around the squad, but whaddoiknow.

Agree with the Bennett comments. Jacobs is way ahead of Mason at the moment for me. Still very much undecided on Mason as to whether he will make it at this level. His first touch has been very poor lately and you can't teach that. Either he has it or he doesn't. :(

I don't rate Jacobs at all a poor Clough signing IMO but you are right about Masons first touch it is poor needs to take lessons off Jeff Hendrick.

Mason really needs to work on his game as Jeff has done.

Archived