The Future of Sammon

Finchley_Ram

• Replies 137
  • Created
  • Last Reply
It is a waste true but we may as well use him this way as we are paying him anyway. 

Selling him will not be easier, someone has to want him for us to do so and he needs to agree to the terms they offer.  On those wages there will be cheaper options around.

15K would also put him at almost 10% of our total wage budget (for last season at least) so it is probably not true as I can't see so much of the budget being skewed towards one player by Clough.

Sam Rush confirmed the 15k p/w salary at one of the pub sessions earlier this year

Sam Rush confirmed the 15k p/w salary at one of the pub sessions earlier this year

Did he discuss all of the staffs salaries or just this one. Does Conor Sammon know that confidential details of his earnings are being discussed by the CEO of the company in the pub? I will no doubt bump into him over the next week or so, so will ask the question of him. I am staggered that this has happened, absolutely staggered. Which pub was it in Mr Hinzy? because I know that you wouldn't make this up.

Did he discuss all of the staffs salaries or just this one. Does Conor Sammon know that confidential details of his earnings are being discussed by the CEO of the company in the pub? I will no doubt bump into him over the next week or so, so will ask the question of him. I am staggered that this has happened, absolutely staggered. Which pub was it in Mr Hinzy? because I know that you wouldn't make this up.

Chill out mate, I doubt Sammon gives a ****. He's on 15k a week haha!

Interesting that barely anyone questions that £1.2million figure. When we sold Brayford, no one took the figures quoted in the press as Gospel but we seemed to have done with Sammon.

Not saying it counts for anything much, but two different sources who might know have suggested that the figure for Sammon was south of one million.

I certainly find it very hard to believe that anyone at the club would have sanctioned a move for a player who had done sod all for a year, that we could have got a year earlier for nearly half a million less. Clough's decisions baffled me at times, but for a man so prudent with other people's money, I'm really not sure I buy into the idea that we paid that much for Sammon. If it were true, then that really would be the most baffling move we ever made under Clough. I'm no Sammon hater - but think what you can buy for £1.2million!

I'm very interested to see what kind of figure he'll fetch, but again, I suspect we'll never actually know. But his days here are numbered I reckon. The lad will want to play games because he's on the radar of the ROI team, and we're not going to be able to give him enough games.

Interesting that barely anyone questions that £1.2million figure. When we sold Brayford, no one took the figures quoted in the press as Gospel but we seemed to have done with Sammon.

Not saying it counts for anything much, but two different sources who might know have suggested that the figure for Sammon was south of one million.

I certainly find it very hard to believe that anyone at the club would have sanctioned a move for a player who had done sod all for a year, that we could have got a year earlier for nearly half a million less. Clough's decisions baffled me at times, but for a man so prudent with other people's money, I'm really not sure I buy into the idea that we paid that much for Sammon. If it were true, then that really would be the most baffling move we ever made under Clough. I'm no Sammon hater - but think what you can buy for £1.2million!

I'm very interested to see what kind of figure he'll fetch, but again, I suspect we'll never actually know. But his days here are numbered I reckon. The lad will want to play games because he's on the radar of the ROI team, and we're not going to be able to give him enough games.

My understanding was / is that £1.2m would be the maximum we paid out on Sammon based on all the additional clauses, appearances, goals, promotion, international caps etc. which I doubt he has quite accomplished, so the actual figure currently is probably much less that the £1.2m banded around so freely. Without wishing to cast aspersions, I think certain posters happily accept that £1.2m figure because it helps them to have a bigger stick to beat Sammon and Clough with!

Also, my memory may be completely shot but I seem to remember someone reporting that Rush reported that Sammon cost us XX amount per year (probably to include wages, bonuses and add-ons based on a  full season last year) and some bright spark divided that figure by 52 and bob's your mother's brother, he's earning £15k a week for sitting on the bench...

If Sammon scores the odd important goal and has a key role to play in the squad on the way to promotion then £1.2m in the grand scheme of things isn't actually that much really.

For me, he's still got an important role to play this season, at some point he's going to offer us something different that we need to sneak a win from a draw or a draw from a defeat. Some people are all too happy to write him off, when he's already shown he can do an important job for us.

With regards to Bennett, at the moment he's incredibly raw, shows flashes of real quality but also moments of inexperience. He's got great potential but needs to be looked after and not overexposed, he doesn't have the maturity of Hughes and I think in his few spells this season he's been trying a bit too hard. It will come for him, he just needs carefully managing and given good coaching. I don't think we'll start seeing the best of him for another couple of years at least.

The situation with Sammon is a bit complicated, I think.  On the one hand he's not going to get in the side ahead of Martin, who at the moment is playing that lone striker position, and also as another poster has mentioned he's not really able to function as a target/hold-up man anyway.  But on the other hand he's an option from the bench, and may certainly come in handy if/when opposing teams start to work out how to counter our current system.  So, for me, he's sort of in limbo at the moment.

As for Bennett - he's still young but something about him says to me that he'll be an average player at this level and nothing more.  He's quick and getting stronger, but then that's the case with most young players we produce in this country; lots of energy and pace but lacking in touch.

I suspect he suffers a bit from coming through the same grade as Will Hughes, as the entire reason Hughes is so coveted and valued is because he is most definitely not like your average English kid.  He's English yet in many ways looks like a Continental player.

Archived