Derby County v Middlesbrough

sage

It was a very messy game last night, they put 11 then 10 behind the ball and we tried to walk the ball in the net too often. Ward was off his game a bit last night and most of his crosses was straight at the goalie.

Bit harsh saying Dawkins was rubbish, I thought he showed some good touches and made some positive runs.

Hughes was really off though, misplaced passes, sand wedge shooting boots on, but he ain't messi, so he is going to have off games.

I thought their sending off was stone wall, he was running around like a looney from the start.

Given made 2 fantastic saves from Wardy, that volley 9 times out of 10 would have gone in.

Must do better against the pool on sat but if we can still win games like this.....exciting times ahead.

Good positive subs from the guys and it was great to see all 3 of them on the touchline shouting and giving encouragement to the lads rather than sitting on their back sides with a face like a smacked arse when things aren't going our way, which was happening under clough.

Well done boys, messy but 3 points is 3 points.

• Replies 342
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just had a look at the other fixtures and they are very kind to us up to xmas.

Next week it's Leicester v Burnley and Blackpool v QPR and the week after it is QPR v Leicester and Burnley v Blackpool.

The week after that Leicester v Reading, Blackpool v Leeds, Forest v QPR.

So all the teams in and round us will be playing each other dropping points, whilst we have some very winnable games coming up.

Grant - 6 - Looked great picking the ball out of the net.

Wisdom - 6 - Nowt much to do defending wise but should've bombed on a little more

Keogh - 6 - Did what was needed and I do like the fact he's carrying it into midfield.

Buxton - 6 - Partly to blame for their goal, if you're going to crunch someone, do it!

Forsyth - 7 - Always provided an outlet and is finally starting to look like a left back.

Eustace - 5 - Nothing fancy, with no threat coming through the middle could've stood on the half way line with a fag on.

Hughes - 6 - Pedestrian at best, stepped it up and demanded the ball in the last 10 minutes though.

Bryson - 7 - Covered the whole pitch as usual and another assist.

Ward - 4 - Crap.  Not fully fit and in one of his sulks.  Everyone harping on about Given pulling off a worldy for his volley is being very generous.  It was a tight angle and I'd have expected a professional goalkeeper to save it.  And for the love of all that is holy can we please have someone else take the corners???  They're sh1te.

Martin - 6 - Other than his goal I thought he was poor.  Nothing stuck when it was played up to him but 10 goals so far this season is a great return.

Dawkins - 6 - Surprised people said he was poor, he was positive and looked to make things happen.  Considering he was surrounded by four Boro defenders his dink for Ward's volley was a sublime bit of skill.

Hendrick - 6 - Not sure he's ideal for a holding roll, much better at box to box style play but he did a job

Sammon - 7 - For those debating if we should get rid in January this is why we shouldn't.  As clumsy and arractic as he can be, he has a good footballing brain and works the channels better than anyone else we have.  If he wasn't on the pitch we wouldn't have won because he's the only player who would've put himself in that position.

Russell - 5 - Didn't really have much chance to get in the game.  Would prefer it if he started on Saturday.

I know this sounds very negative but I'm happy we won.  Mind you I'd have been f-in livid if we hadn't.

Bad day at the office and it wa refreshing to hear Schteve say we weren;t good enough and that the whole team put their hands up in the changing rooms and admitted as such. 

If these are accurate, we must have bossed the game. Yes the end product might not have been there with Given sounding as though he made a few worldies but to get 66% possession and make 568 passes while winning 12 corners sounds as though tonight's game could have gone a lot worse.

By those stats we controlled the match from start to finish and from hearing it on the radio, only a poor decision by Dawkins/Forsyth loosing the ball and them breaking cost us the goal... 

Grant - 6 - Not much to judge him on. Distribution ok, about it.

Wisdom - 5 - Probably his worst game for us. His throw ins first half being a particular lowlight, having given most straight to Boro.

Keogh - 6.5 - Did well, couple of nice surges to add pace to the play.

Buxton - 6 - Didn't have a lot to do

Forsyth - 7.5 - Won headers, kept the ball, kept a tricky winger quiet.

Eustace - 5 - Looked leggy

Hughes - 6 - Did ok, nothing really to write home about

Bryson - 6.5 - Phenomenal cross for the goal with his chocolate peg

Ward - 4.5 - Poor. Didn't look fit. Didn't beat his fullback. That desperation shot in the second half smacked of last season

Dawkins - 6.5 - Looked like making things happen when he got the ball. Beat several players. That run in the second half to tee up Ward could have been a spectacular assist

Martin - 6 - Made of Teflon... but grabbed a goal

Hendrick - 5.5 - He simply can't play holding midfield. Not really his fault.

Sammon - 5.5 - Whether you think it was his goal or not, not sure he touched the ball other than that?

Russell - 5 - Didn't get into at all.

I like the fact despite being one of the most impressive teams in the week (statistically speaking) we're still labelling ourself as poor. I agree it wasn't good, but it shows how far we have come.

in comparison to how Leeds did in their 2-0 win over Wigan...

348 more passes.. with 346 more ACCURATE passes. (let that one sink in) that is an outstanding difference.

3 more shots.

Leeds had 35% possession - to our 66% 

and only Brighton got anywhere near our passing statistics, and they were  55 behind us...

Times are changing. 

I like the fact despite being one of the most impressive teams in the week (statistically speaking) we're still labelling ourself as poor. I agree it wasn't good, but it shows how far we have come.

in comparison to how Leeds did in their 2-0 win over Wigan...

348 more passes.. with 346 more ACCURATE passes. (let that one sink in) that is an outstanding difference.

3 more shots.

Leeds had 35% possession - to our 66% 

and only Brighton got anywhere near our passing statistics, and they were  55 behind us...

Times are changing. 

There are some on here who seem to measure performance by a completely different scale. I prefer yours. We kept the ball for long periods, probing, looking for opportunities and not giving away the ball. It wasn't very exciting, but by and large it got the job done. Middlesbrough were a tough nut to crack - as tough with 10 as when they had 11 on the pitch - but crack them we did.

not by any stretch of imagination was that anywhere near our best but we beat a reasonably solid 'Boro side (albeit against ten men) in a situation where last season we'd have settled for a draw and possibly even lost late on so its an improvement of sorts. 

Feel the sending off was a tad harsh - yes he was late and a little clumsy but they were both 50/50 challenges which he had a right to go for. That said if he hadn't picked up a yellow for his first on Grant then he'd in all likelihood done the same thing later on anyway. 

Though Martin did well for his goal, the 'poacher' type goal which centre forwards like him should gobble up and he did. Sloppy all round for their goal really could easily have been avoided but to go on and get the winner showed great desire, especially from Sammon who I can guarantee is one of the only players in our team who is capable of scoring that type of chance where he jostles with the defender - who cares if it was a tad lucky??

As has been said the best teams win when they play badly which is precisely what we did last night. I know its only been 10 games since the Forest game but since then we have shown genuine title winning form - thats not suggesting we'll win the league, merely stating that on if we sustained this form over 46 games we'd be right up there!

Happy days to be a Ram!

Grant - 7 - Dominant in the Air, couldn't do anything about the goal.

Wisdom - 6 - Looked strong at the back but was a bit slow to get forward.

Keogh - 6 - Nothing to do, not at fault for the goal

Buxton - 6 - Nothing to do, not at fault for the goal

Forsyth - 8 - Decent at the back and going forward, he needs to pick his times to go forward a little better but a very good performance.

Eustace - 6 - Made some important challenges but we didnt really need a holding midfielder with the way they set out.

Hughes - 5 - Poor, lots of misplaced passes but a great assist at the end for the goal.

Bryson - 7 - Ran his socks off and a great cross for the goal, needs to shoot a bit more and stop trying to pass it into the net.

Ward - 5 - Poor. He tries his best every game but he struggled to get passed their fullback most of the game. Maybe not match fit?

Dawkins - 6 - Decent performance and is very tricky on the ball. Would have been a 7 but was at fault for there goal.

Martin - 6 - Isolated in the first half due to the awful passing but played better in the second half. needs to stay on his feet.

Hendrick - 5 - Looked a bit lost 

Sammon - 6 - Played well when he came on, i'd like to see him utilised a beat early at home. We dont always need Martin picking up fouls for us when playing at home. He would frighten the life out of the replacement blackpool centre halfs on saturday.

Russell - 6 - Looked lively when he came on, gave us another outlet after dawkins went off.

As for the sending off, the guy had got it on him. He had been warned before the yellow card and before the red. Personally the foul on buxton should have been the first yellow but he would have been sent off eventually. I hate players that kick out like that.

On the sending off - it felt  harsh at the time, but the rules were followed.

Both challenges were late and he followed through somewhat unneccessarily with his studs up.

The debate is - if you go in late with your studs up and by some miracle you don't connect, or injure someone - is that to be ignored? The intention was there IMO

The guy clearly looked mortified and it must have been a long soul-destroying walk off the pitch with the South Stand all chanting "you......tw@t.......you......tw@t...."

Told yer the stats looked good.

I was working. Checked my phone, saw the score, saw twice as many shots, saw 66% possession and came on here and nobody is happy! Lol.

Not having a pop btw. Just was shocked.

Now Ambitous has put some more stats on it I can't wait to watch RamPlayer full 90 and see just how we were poor though.

Tbh I thought we were better and Bournemouth than most others did.

I was quite impressed with 'Boro. The sending off was a shame - a cracking second half was brewing. They looked comfortable on the ball, but ready to his us on the counter, and we were just growing into the game. 0-0 at half time and both managers would have been going for the three points. I think we probably would have played better and still won, but that's the first time this season we nearly slipped up at home due the quality of the opposition rather than us not turning up.

They'll finish further up the table.

Boro fans complaining about last night  :lol:

(From that Boro v Derby page on their forum)

"http://speedcap.net/sharing/files/df/24/df24a334778c18c227e0ee1baad0d202" alt="df24a334778c18c227e0ee1baad0d202">

So Grant apparently "rolled about on the floor for a bit."

"a039ca0fd729b15e125043fc55a59c68" alt="a039ca0fd729b15e125043fc55a59c68">

And the 2nd challenge was apparently "a 50/50" and it was in fact Bucko who fouled Main  :lol:

"2bb24956b674d84426d895007b9f89ed" alt="2bb24956b674d84426d895007b9f89ed">

Archived